I know more people that left because PoE is easy.

"
Oh, okay. The Skilldrasil simplification (particularly with starting areas) is awful, but I don't know anyone who's quit over it, so I think shoe-horning it into this thread is...well, just that.

It's about the compounding of oversimplification and ease.

Amongst the rest it adds to the issues.

Each of these was memorable because they irritated me as well, none worth quitting over alone, but the next two upcoming ones, if implemented black and white, it is a clear indicator of PoE's direction. Then, I will be moving on. However, I figure I should post this now before the changes, because if I don't play the game, I don't play the forums.
"
Jojas wrote:
"
If you find a single $100 bill, it is a much better feeling than finding a $50 now and $50 later.

No.

If you find a $100 bill you go: "Hey, I found a $100 bill! Now I'm $100 richer. Smiley!"

But if you find $50 now and $50 later you go: "Awesome! What are the odds ... !!?"

Finding $100 is just that. Some poor sucker lost it, you found it. End of story.
But two $50 in a row? That's a day to remember.

Not exactly, because now you know the odds are doubled, so when you find the $50 your going to expect another $50, because in the back of your mind, that should've been $100.

You won't go "what are the odds?" Because you will immediately say "Oh yeah, doubled it"
"
Worldbreaker wrote:
To GGG: If you want a fantastic example of where you are heading talk to Marc Deforest, owner of S2 Games (Heroes of Newerth). He tried pleasing everyone, screwed his loyal customers, in doing so, lost the hardcore crowd to Dota 2 AND the casual crowd to League of Legends. Now scrounging for anything he can, working on Strife, an even more casual MOBA (more so than LoL), since his decisions killed HoN.

Just wondering what's wrong with LoL?

I mean they can not buff YOUR team without buffing ENEMY team as well, and they can not nerf ENEMY without nerfing YOUR team neither. So how come LoL is casual when the game is always played vs other players?

Just asking out of curiosity.
"
Worldbreaker wrote:
°

9. Upcoming unique "buff": This change is going to turn out exactly like the base item situation. People will be miserable, wondering why the mid/high tier items they find put them even further from the ultra rare ones. They will find twice as many sellable uniques they don't need.

I replied to this once and you didn't respond so I'm just going to ask you to expound on this some more. How exactly are people going to be miserable at finding more end game uniques?
Standard Forever
I KNOW MORE PEOPLE THAT LEFT BECAUSE POE IS EASY.

- 1 thread
- 1 player complained about the game difficulty
- ? players quit

I KNOW MORE PEOPLE THAT LEFT BECAUSE POE IS HARD.

- 34 threads
- 34 players complained about the game difficulty
- 7 players quit

I am pretty sure that the numbers will go up if I browse more page, but that would have taken too much time and I think those are more than enough.

Numbers don't lie.
Last edited by Asramero on May 20, 2014, 4:06:28 AM
"
I am pretty sure that the numbers will go up if I browse more page, but that would have taken too much time and I think those are more than enough.

Numbers don't lie.

I do hope that you are aware that Averege-Joe is an idiot, and will complain if he can't play his music loud cuz'his neightbours r so fukin annoing?

If GGG cared about numbers we'd have p2w years ago. Also, by this logic pop music is far-FAR-FAR-FAR-FAR superior over classical music because more people listen to it. Right? So, numbers you say?
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on May 20, 2014, 4:09:46 AM
I don't understand the point of OP. In a game where everything can be bought or sold - items, progress, achievements - the "hardcore-ness" is already completely trivialized and negated. Why does it matter the amount of 6L RNG, if you can circumvent it with lotteries and get a 6L for a fixed price? Or game-play difficulty, if you can pay for boss kills?

The game was made more accessible for a wider audience, which is a good thing, but it's still nothing like "casual" or "easy" in terms of time investment, especially if you don't cheese everything with trading & partying. If anyone is looking for a higher challenge, then playing self-found (& possibly solo) is always an option.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:
I don't understand the point of OP. In a game where everything can be bought or sold - items, progress, achievements - the "hardcore-ness" is already completely trivialized and negated. Why does it matter the amount of 6L RNG, if you can circumvent it with lotteries and get a 6L for a fixed price? Or game-play difficulty, if you can pay for boss kills?

The game was made more accessible for a wider audience, which is a good thing, but it's still nothing like "casual" or "easy" in terms of time investment, especially if you don't cheese everything with trading & partying. If anyone is looking for a higher challenge, then playing self-found (& possibly solo) is always an option.

This is probably why I felt drawn towards the idea of a competitive SFL. Nothing boosted just even across the board.

I agree things can be bought and sold, but it was much more difficult to trade before the indexers, now very little effort is required. I also kill my own bosses and link my own gear, the gear I link is gear I find, not buy. Indexers should be limited to make trade require effort since grinding it yourself will always be less efficient, even if more gratifying.

To your last point, the reason I came here to PoE was because they weren't targeting the wider audience, the reason I've stayed despite the issues in the OP, is because every other game is targeting the "wider audience", well that audience is only so big and with other games competing for their business it's only a matter of time before they move on to the next big thing.
"
Raoe wrote:
I KNOW MORE PEOPLE THAT LEFT BECAUSE POE IS EASY.

- 1 thread
- 1 player complained about the game difficulty
- ? players quit

I KNOW MORE PEOPLE THAT LEFT BECAUSE POE IS HARD.

- 34 threads
- 34 players complained about the game difficulty
- 7 players quit

Numbers don't lie.

The people complaining about the game being easy are normally within the posts about the game being difficult, frustrating, or hard. Given the state of the forums for some time, I wouldn't have posted either, but after 2 1/2 years of fun, it's the least I can do for GGG if it comes to leaving. You don't have to agree with me, I didn't say everyone left because it's easy, I said of people I know/knew most left because they saw this direction before it happened.

Chop linked some guys shop from standard, said eternals ruined this fucking game. I have not seen him since.
4 people including zire(for a period of time) left when item quantity was made legacy. Part of min maxing MF and defense, removed a desired mod to make the process of what you want on gear much smaller. I remember trying to squeeze out 8% cold res to cap so I could keep my iiq ring.

They just keep making the game easier, less complex and dumping more "bad" RNG on top, which is entirely circumvented by trade.
Last edited by Worldbreaker on May 20, 2014, 5:06:27 AM
"
Perq wrote:
I do hope that you are aware that Averege-Joe is an idiot, and will complain if he can't play his music loud cuz'his neightbours r so fukin annoing?

If GGG cared about numbers we'd have p2w years ago. Also, by this logic pop music is far-FAR-FAR-FAR-FAR superior over classical music because more people listen to it. Right? So, numbers you say?

Please enlighten me how is music related to any of this discussion? Music is a form of art, pop music and classical is different genre. That is like comparing Farmville with Path of Exile. How is my comparison on "players left because the game is easy" vs "players left because the game (same game) is hard" relevant to yours?

Also, at which point of my post did I ever said GGG cared about the numbers? Neither did I said anything to op (just want to let him know that there are more numbers quitting because of the game being hard than easy). My comment was "I know more people that left the game because is hard" seeing that everyday there is always a player writing a feedback about the game difficulty.

[removed by support]

And yes, the numbers don't lie.
Last edited by Michael_GGG on May 20, 2014, 5:07:28 AM
Idk. Playing first char, building full glass cannon witch. Normal facerolled.

Struggling in cruel. Grouping with some random guy he sees I die every minute from "jumping" mobs tells me "skele totem bro"

I trade some gems I don't need some cold snap for his totem and faceroll to maps with skeles meat shield.

I could say "hell this game is imbalanced and hard I quit mobs 1 shot me"

Doing maps easily full glass cannon till I'm 77, with 220% iir, but reflects 1-shot me killing me with my 12k dps arc. While I benefit a lot from chaos recipes some impolite player implies I'm a noob that stuck on same level for 2 weeks so I trade my 5l voll's (self found self linked) for 5l lightning coil, changing some iir rings to hp rings and what - my hp increases by 30%, my phys damage reduction increased by ~35%, and even if I've dropped my iir to 120% and dps to 5k I'm not dying to some rogue exiles anymore and my own reflects not killing me anymore and I'm making it to 79 in a day.

I could say "hell this game is imbalanced I've build wrong and should reroll my char"

The game got more boring with less IIR because less reason to return to town each 5 mins to combine chaos recipe again but I've got levels. If I want to change and farm chaos I can always trade my 5l Lightning Coil to Voll's again. I just can do it I see.

Now I got that lightning coil but my arc requires 5 blue sockets, I try to roll 5 off and realise this is armor/eva based chest. Going check my chances of rolling 5 off, doesn't look good.

I could say "hell this game is imbalanced I've bought wrong item and my build doesn't work with it I should go farm 50000 chromes to recolor"

But I go roll 3 blue sockets on Lightning Coil and 2 red that takes me 100 chromes - using 10 regrets and what I'm fire sorc that needs 3 blue 2 red gems to work.

I could say "hell this game is imbalanced I need 50000 chromes to roll off on item that fits me so well"

So I find an alpha's and sell it for 4ex. I have many options how to spend it - so I'm buying tabula and trying 6l item.

6l chest is fun to play with but that extra gem gives me +20% damage so while I'm having fun trying out different gem combos I see it doesn't suit me.

I could say "hell this game is imbalanced I bought a useless item now I need to find 1 more alpha I go grind"

But I suspect that since I only found one 1ex+ worthy items in maps so far in 2 weeks of farming maps the chances for it are low, so I just sell out my tabula and buying some 1ex shield, 1ex dagger. That increases my damage by 20% - more than single alpha could ever increase my survivability or defenses.

So I keep playing farming maps and wham 6l mace drops. I am consulting some awesome friendly guy that I consider pro in game and we are valuing our chances to roll it. It chances into voidhome so I'm not chancing - its damage is decent for farming low-level maps and I never played anything except witch. So I decide to roll a 2h melee to learn this game better and get 6l weap as a prize.

So I could say "hell this game stupid the only 6l I got got a terrible base and doesn't fit my char and won't sell for more than 2ex"

But I'm playing melee 2h scion having fun with endurance charges and learning CWDT setup (yeah my witch wasn't even aware of it)

While leveling and having fun facerolling mobs like I never did with cheap uniques I can afford for 1c and waiting for a big prize of 6l I find 2ex along the way.

However I'm trying to roll my mallet with Tyrannical and trade my 2ex for alts. So I roll tyrannical three times, and get it augumented it into some stun duration (need 2nd mod speed/+phys damage flat).

So I see I wasted about 15c worth alts already and didn't get anything good. Realising that even with best mods noone will buy that mace off me even for 10ex because its low base damage, noone playing 2h and even less playing 2h maces, when all the best rares and uniques are axes around not relying on stunlocking enemies.

So I roll some wicked mod +120% phys damage and aug it to some +15% attack speed. I weight it as fine rolls for my alt self-private 2h, regal it for +10% stun duration and go map :)

And I could waste 2ex worth of alts and say "hell this game is so unfair I can't roll +150% pd +30% as +10-30pd with alts and regals.

Then on my witch I come to try my first 76 maps - crematorium - doing it with easy mods as I do all my new maps I find. Going to boss - instadeath all of sudden.

So I could keep going on and complain on forums "hell I just can't beat this imbalanced boss in crematorium it just 1-shots me and I've lost 90% of my xp bar by trying to kill it" - but I just don't - I give my 6l shav friend to finish this map for free and loots and go do easy maps I know.

Then when I got 0% of next level I go and wipe on that crematorium boss 50 times till I understand its damage output how to deal with it.

So I could keep going on and complain on forums "hell I just can't beat this imbalanced boss in crematorium I'm stuck on progress" but rather than trying to gear my char up to it now or buying some Rise Of the Phoenix I just roll my remaining crematorium maps with alchs with 100% iiq temp chains whatever - and faceroll them totally up to boss getting 2 palace maps from each run - because with skele totem tanking trash is frigging easy on these maps. Getting 2 palace maps and some more crematorium along the way and selling them each for 13c and getting some peer/crematorium maps for myself to roll.

Well I can keep going on like this but you probably got the point that I insist that if you are a bit friendly with math, open minded to more experienced players advices and like theorycrafting you can work around almost any situation you face. Any.

You think blesseds are op? Go farm alts, turn them to jews, turn them to fuses, sell for c, get exalts, trade for blesseds.

You think 6l op? Get tabula. Don't like tabula? Buy cheap 6l chest for 4ex. Don't like cheap 6l chest for 4ex but found cheap 4ex mallet? Go roll alt 2h melee char and have fun.

Hell you totally terrible in mechanics, well there's a post of some guy that is quite troll that he can't level past 60 but got 50ex by simple trading buying cheap selling more.

Like when I found alpha's - I could be trying to sell it for 2 days for 5ex sitting in town spamming trade or just sell it fast for 4ex and go find 6l.

Choices - choices. So deep and wide. Any situation. Just think.

There's a saying in a game I was playing before it in that game community, when you fail in easy stuff, it says "go play tetris" or "go play mario". Its kinda annoying to hear that sometimes but I remember it quite often when since I started PoE.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info