Rolling offcolors too punishing

I love most parts of this game, but I really think you guys need to reconsider how difficult it is roll the correct offcolors on high-level gear. I thought the whole point of this game is to be able to play practically anything you can think of, but there are a lot of gem combinations that just cant happen with a specific armor type due to it being impossible to ever get the correct 5 offcolors. it would take tens of thousands of chroms, and a normal person just can't scrape that up in any reasonable time frame. I like that it's expensive to get 5 and 6 links, but requiring thousands of chroms after dumping tons of currency into a 5L or 6L is just too much. The RNG factor is too chaotic.

I just dumped over 2000 chroms trying to get the correct FOUR offcolors on a 5L, and couldn't do it. I totally wiped out everything I had, because getting the correct gem sockets was far and away the most important thing to my build at this point. Anyway, I'd like to keep playing, but I had to uninstall. It's just too de-motivating having wasted everything, and knowing that even if I spend a few weeks saving up again I could easily dump several thousands more chroms and still not get what I need. If I were trying for a 6L it'd be different. That gives gear a huge market value, and it's the peak of the mountain in terms of difficulty to achieve. But I was just trying to personalize gear for my build. This would have little or no extra value to anyone else.

Again, the best part about this game is the wild build variety. I think the mechanics should be encouraging people to try interesting things like casters with pure armor, not standing firmly in the way. I understand there should be a cost to get your gear the way you want it. But using pure RNG to control that cost THREE times over (sockets, links, colors) makes for wildly unpredictable costs. What happens in wildly uncertain markets? People stop investing. I really think you should consider increasing the chances of spawning off-colors, in order to open up a larger variety of builds (which are not inherently any stronger than builds requiring only a couple off-colors). Right now there's just too much RNG standing in the way of the best part of the game.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
So long as the socket colors are rolled independently, highly off-color socket arrangements are going to potentially cost a ton of chromatic orbs.

It might be worth considering allowing the sockets to be rolled separately -- but I would think it best to focus more on balancing the different colors of gems, so that an INT build can reasonably use 4-5 blue gems on a 6L, for instance (just to give an example).

Or, as a player, understand what you're getting yourself into and either build towards having more on-color sockets or be prepared to spend what you need to spend ;).
IGN: SplitEpimorphism
You are frustrated by a choice that you made... not by the game. You want to "have it all" and are upset that you can't. You're not going into specifics, but my bet is that you want ES on an armor but no blue sockets. Tough. Use a STR/INT based armor... or a DEX/INT base, and sacrifice a few points of ES.
I agree with OP,i see no point in difficulty of rolling off colours,while i am totally fine with how hard is to 6L.Why?Because 6L is just an upgrade to all characters.Off colours encourage crazy build creation,but with the diffuculty to roll them,it is being discouraged.The way i see it,your defensive choises should not directly affect your offensive.

That being said:

Got it in 2K chroms,while trying i got 2 more times 5 off colours.THis is the second time i get 5 colours,my previous chest also had 5 off colours,and i got them again in around 2K chroms,meanwhile rolling one more time 5 off and 1 time 6 off colours!
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
"
Dryhumper wrote:
I totally wiped out everything I had, because getting the correct gem sockets was far and away the most important thing to my build at this point. Anyway, I'd like to keep playing, but I had to uninstall.

And still you did not make the choice to get a chest that would allow to do that without sacrificing too much ....
I bet that you took one of the chest that have the highest int requirement <=> where you are less likely to get off colors sockets.

Honestly, people need to stop thinking that taking a hybrid chest for exotic combinations is not an option ... because that's clearly what you should have done.

You basically aimed for the pie, and the cherry on top of it, and as RNGesus can be a bitch ...
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
That was a mistake i also made when i came up with a crazy build, done all of the theory crafting and then i realised i'm not going to get 4 or 5 off colours on an es based chest. Needless to say the build was doomed to fail since like the person above me, i never had 2k chroms.

And i'll say it here aswell, you can't have a super awesome skill tree if your build is then limited by the sockets you can roll on a specific piece. It's an even worse situation if you want to use uniques that aren't made of the base stat you want.

But like with 6L crafting i think ggg'll get hit in the head with an idea that it would be good thing to not limit players with socket colour.. maybe... in another year or two...
IGN: FoughtBledAndWeptForGod, WoE_HitoZ

stream: http://www.twitch.tv/hitokirizoro
I agree with OP, it should be easier, socket colors makes the build, not being able to get the colors breaks it completely, reducing the amount creativity you can do with builds.

While reading this tread I had an idea for a solution to this. Create a vendor recipe, that goes something like this:

Your item + 1 blue gem = your same item with more blue sockets (sockets are unidentified)

Same for the other colors.

It basically re-rolls the colors, just like a chromatic, but with a tendency towards the color of the gem, bypassing the items natural tendency towards a certain color. Still random though.

You could do the same thing with 2 gems, or even 3 for an equal chance for each color.

Vendoring your INT item with a green gem AND a red gem would reroll the colors as if it was a DEX/STR item.
(the socket colors are hidden so you have to complete the transaction to know the result)

This would also be a good use for all those useless gems we accumulate.
Last edited by Dreamer000 on May 18, 2014, 10:30:58 AM
2K chromes is like 10ex are you sure you couldnt have just bought the 5L with the colors you wanted via poe.xyz.is?

I do agree that rolling off colors has seem to have gotten alot more difficult.
IGN: lVlage (96 Witch)
Last edited by lVlage on May 18, 2014, 6:31:09 PM
"
2K chromes is like 10ex

I don't know what chrome rates you're buying at.. 2k chromes is 3 exa in ambush.
Last edited by kasub on May 18, 2014, 6:33:57 PM
"
kasub wrote:
"
2K chromes is like 10ex

I don't know what chrome rates you're buying at.. 2k chromes is 3 exa in ambush.

Oh on standard its like 220:1 ex.
IGN: lVlage (96 Witch)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info