Rolling offcolors too punishing

I'm sure there is a good reason. i.e. to prevent certain OP combos or make you pay heavy price to do it. Why don't you tell us armor build and links you want?
Git R Dun!
other than the developers secretely hating their own customers and wanting them to have a horrific experience with the orb system?

no, there's no "reason" for chromatics to be this shitty of an orb.

oh noes!! somebody might spend 4,000 chromatincs instead of 12,000 getting 5 off colors on their vaal reg!!!

TEH BALANCES!!!NOEEESSS!!!

somebody might actually be able to play a build they were planning to play!! without RMT'ing no less!!!

that means they will instantly quit the game once they get to play the build they wanted to play. so actually, better reduce the odds even more

lol
Last edited by Veruski on May 19, 2014, 9:56:45 AM
And my stats for off colours in generall if anyone is interested

6L regalia = 2000K chroms used - 3 times 5 off colours
6L widowsilk robe = 2000 chroms used - 2 times 5 off colours + 1 time 6 off colours
5L widowsilk robe = 600 chroms used - 1 time 5 off colours(out of five sockets and links)
4L soercer boots = 220 chroms used - 8 times 3 off colours + 1 time 4 off colours(out of 4,dunno if this matters)

So from my experience somewhere between 500-1000 chroms you will hit a 5 off colour combination.But since it is completely random,you can spend 10 000 in theory and not get any :P.Further more,for me it seems to get the 5 DESIRED off colours,you need an averange of 2K chroms,pretty much as many as to 6L an item,luckily chroms are much cheaper than fusings
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
Last edited by Poutsos on May 19, 2014, 10:32:46 AM
@pou

sample size way too small unfortunately

if you ask reddit or a wider audience, or use other peoples calculators, etc, its more like 1 out of 1000+ for a 5-off result...and that's just a random 5-off, not a specific one.

5 - 10k chromes is a much more accurate figure for getting a specific 5-off on something like a vaal reg

not 2k
Last edited by Veruski on May 19, 2014, 10:36:55 AM
My personal experience of rolling off-colors:

Spoiler
Well I personally take these sockets colors into account when building my char.

I got into that trap once - bought Lightning Coil for my lightning+crit witch (this was a totally right decision to do cause it made my Purity of Lightning aura I HAD to use not to instakill myself on reflecting packs way more valuable)

However crit lightning witch required at least 5 blue gems (faster cast, crit mult, crit chance, light pene, arc) and when after about 5 stacks of chromes I couldn't roll 3 offcolors = I realised its a trap. I had to switch to fire cause I managed to roll 3b+2r after 3 stacks more. Decided it would be more wise to regret the lightning nodes in my tree to fire.

But I was honest with myself that it was my own mistake buying Lightning Coil without thinking I can't roll 5 blue sockets, I just was absent-minded to forget about this mechanic.

Since then I always take the base type of items into consideration when planning my build.

When I was building for 2-week race I went for hybrid eva/armor tanky witch, but since I realised my fire build needs 3 blue sockets I decided to use es+armor (red/blue) chest.

Since my CWDT/Totems required 3+ reds I used armor-based boots and head, see.

And since while I was still needing some rgb for auras but shield is easy to roll even 3 off, so could be any, and since I lacked some block/eva I went for dex shield.

I knew the socket rules pretty much, and adapted - its actually cool and fun I think.

On idea of adding new currency that making rolling sockets/link easier:

The trick is this game's economy is based around people actually using their currency to modify items. Once market is overflooded, its bg - people go farm uber in crafted items, noone buys anything because they have best items in game, everyone is bored, see? - there is a reason rolling offcolors and 6-links is hard.

"
Veruski wrote:
@pou

sample size way too small unfortunately

if you ask reddit or a wider audience, or use other peoples calculators, etc, its more like 1 out of 1000+ for a 5-off result...and that's just a random 5-off, not a specific one.

5 - 10k chromes is a much more accurate figure for getting a specific 5-off on something like a vaal reg

not 2k

Hmm i see,propably i was on the lucky side.However i do know at least 2 more people that played my build and got RRRRGB on a regalia on around 2K chroms.5-10K chroms is pretty much the same value as getting a 6L(20-30ex),and yeah it is pretty painfull and uneseccery IMO.As i stated previously,i do understand the difficulty of getting a 6L,as it is the "elite" thing in a way,and it just directly improves your character.Off colours just help build diversity,and the difficulty to roll them discourages it.

That being said,i still do not agree with people saying to compromise and use another chest.With the same currency investmnent that i get a 1000ES regalia,i would get a 500 ES+1000 armour or so saintly chainmail.1000+ armour is nexto useless for my build,while 500 more ES means everything.I would still rather dump that 20 ex on my regalia,than go for a saintly.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
It took me ~25 Ex worth of Chromatics to 4 off-color my Rime Gaze, which could've been bought for 4 Chaos.
Just give chroms a small chance to roll a white socket. It'd still take a good amount of chroms to get what you want but it'd make things less painful.
just used 250 chromes to get the right 3 offcolors on my helmet... who cares its just a game
"Path of nurfs" - LVL 100 + LVL 100 + LVL 100 ENDGAME REAVER
"1.3.0 Path of nurfs 3. expansion"
Shops: 1031762,774343,883462,371756,1091096,1099789,1260674
Reaver Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/velo1337/videos
"
tinko92 wrote:
It took me ~25 Ex worth of Chromatics to 4 off-color my Rime Gaze, which could've been bought for 4 Chaos.

currently there isnt a 4red rg available.
"Path of nurfs" - LVL 100 + LVL 100 + LVL 100 ENDGAME REAVER
"1.3.0 Path of nurfs 3. expansion"
Shops: 1031762,774343,883462,371756,1091096,1099789,1260674
Reaver Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/velo1337/videos

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info