Rolling offcolors too punishing

From my experiments, here's what I've noticed (prepare the tinfoil):

The weird off colour combinations usually come early on in the first few chromatics, then it falls off sharply to what would be expected from the base type. It really seems like the early chances for off colours are bumped.

If you don't hit that wild mix you're looking for within those first few tries, you're in for a long disappointing journey.

:D
"
Veruski wrote:
"
peachii wrote:
the way they have it now is the best option

just..no

please link any and all threads of people complaining about "too many off colors"

thanks

Is that guy serious, or new here seriously ?

@grant_m : are you suggesting that there is an empirical mechanism that does actually do that and that GGG did not communicate about ? :p
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jun 12, 2014, 2:15:51 PM
i'm serious

do a search for "chromatics" on the forum.

you don't get people complaining about chromes yielding too many off colors

it's quite the opposite, it's tons of threads like this.
Last edited by Veruski on Jun 12, 2014, 5:41:06 PM
Then if you are serious :
Search the forum for anyone complaining about anything that gives too much to a player when it's not a QQ about balance ( = another build being stronger ), you won't almost find any.

And it's ridiculously easy to understand why, just wandering around here is enough to notice this.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jun 12, 2014, 6:10:47 PM
"
Fruz wrote:
@grant_m : are you suggesting that there is an empirical mechanism that does actually do that and that GGG did not communicate about ? :p

I did mention that the tinfoil was to be prepared. It's likely that there are many hidden mechanisms buried within the game code. You don't want to know everything, do you? :D
Haha, I cannot help being curious I guess, that would be a really sadic way to do things though, because it would not reward people investing more into it, which is somewhat the opposite of everything else this game is made of to me.
They should implement a small chance to roll white slots when using chromes. That way, you might get lucky and roll two white slots with two off-colors you need. I think that would increase the overall chance of getting the gem flexibility people want, while still requiring to roll many chromes.
"
Ulfgaard wrote:
They should implement a small chance to roll white slots when using chromes. That way, you might get lucky and roll two white slots with two off-colors you need. I think that would increase the overall chance of getting the gem flexibility people want, while still requiring to roll many chromes.

I actually like this idea. Just as long as the chance of rolling white sockets wouldn't be too high (and not too low either obviously). I also think that there should be limit on how many white sockets you could roll, for example two per piece. Needs to be carefully balanced.
Last edited by MIIKKAAA on Jun 12, 2014, 11:02:31 PM
"
Veruski wrote:
"
Fruz wrote:
Spoiler

That would be an example of what he termed "worse than useless"

I understand many/some builds can get away with like, 600 ES chests. Not all, though.

I remember once making a CI Archer. Ever make one of those?

If you don't use a Vaal Reg, you will be gimped.

Since you have no shield, you pretty much need all the ES you can get on your chest. Just the way it is.

Some builds really benefit hugely from an 800+ ES chest, and don't do that well with 400 - 600.

Coloring becomes a massive nightmare, just because you wanted a CI archer. People will tell you that you "don't need the vaal reg" but they are just full of shit, and the people saying that have, ironically, never made those types of builds.

At least, as ARCHER, you can use 6-L in your bow instead.
ES chests are just too much better for CI builds (much better than hybrid ones even), that's the problem. But still, getting 200 less ES from hybrid chest wont totally break your build. If it does, then your build was almost broken before it.
CI archer may seem fine idea, but you MUST sacrifice 500+ base ES from shield (not including extra block, stats and resists), and top-shield can have up to 750 ES! And with Spectral Throw you you can get the same benefit as archer (being ranged and dealing physical damage) as well.
So, why gimmick yourself? Archers (same as dualwielders and two-handers) are clearly supposed to be used with a LIFE build, and they can benefit from using Kaom's Heart greatly (with 6-L in bow).

CI physical melee, on other hand, has even more troubles with colours, as there are AT BEST 3 viable blue gems for them - PCoC, increased crit multy and Concentrated Effect, with 1-st being able to put in suplementary 4-L skill, and 3-rd being usable only for pure AoE abilities.
So, you need at least 3 offcolours, and usually - 5 offcolours. And most of them - red. Generally because some support gems (Increased critical strikes or added accuracy, for example) are ridiculously weak.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Jun 13, 2014, 2:09:20 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info