The trolling and rudeness has to stop!

Another helpful thing GGG can do is add a /faq or /help commands, so yo ucan tell ppl "type /faq or /help" and after confirming an ingame dialog perhaps, a browser would open a purpose-made page on the site.
Spoiler
"
DeF46 wrote:
"
Not to mention all the questions from normal still pop up, almost as often, and pointing people to the FAQ is met with just as much anger.

What's the point of being that annoying little brat telling people to go check the FAQ?

Ingame chat isn't a forum. You can't expect the same rules to work there.

There will always be a new stream of players at open beta, so even if each new player only ever asked ONE question, you will continue to see the same questions again and again.

Best GGG can do is a proper trade channel with restrictions that encourage its use. As for a help channel, no one will use it, because there's no good way to encourage people to use a "help" channel. Global chat could reasonably be considered a help channel.

I think the best solution at this point is to prevent participation in global chat until some condition is reached. If people can't ask questions ingame for the first hour or so, or first few levels, that might let some of the most common questions answer themselves before they need to be asked and/or limit abuse.

Did you really just call me an annoying little brat for pointing people to the FAQ?

Did I say I don't answer their questions, or that I'm not accommodating and helpful?

I just answer their question and mention the FAQ afterward. Mostly people say thanks and that they'll check it out. The occasional, but increasingly frequent douchebag will call me an asshole.

That's what annoys me. Not the questions. My mistake, I worded that portion of my post very poorly.
Last edited by King_Nikita on Jul 8, 2012, 7:05:37 AM
I joined CBT yesterday. Sadly, the first thing I had to figure out shortly after entering the game is how to disable the general chat. There's just too much unreasonable hate and trolling at the moment.
Hay Chris , could you get into the script of the game that if certain words are mentioned . The game will pick at randoms out from a list of possible words / sentences.

Would make many troll / rager´s very entertaining (almost seem drunk)

At-least in my head i would smile/laugh allot more cause it would just be like a Zergling talking to a Zealot.

Ex: Normal

@Leif:Diablo 3 is a fail ... BUT POE IS STILL THE BIGGEST FAIL LOL SHIT !!

@Sven: Go Fck yourself !

Ex: Random words

@Leif:Monkey is a candy .... BUT POE IS STILL THE BIGGEST FLYING KIWI MAGIC !!

@Sven: uhm .... Fck yeah ?! xD

The game has random items , random dungeons , items that make random things out of the random things.

So why not add random gibberish to the players that flame / rage ^^

http://www.youtube.com/user/swedishtavern

Around 90h of PoE Content made and spread across Scandinavia. Now invading Europe & US
Enjoy
Because when you do that, ST, gibberish like 'weeaboo' becomes an insult unto itself. I'm not a big fan of word substitution at an automated level at all.

@Def: Yeah, I'm not sure where I said it, but I've definitely acknowledged that merely ignoring a troll does not in any way ignore the trouble that troll causes. Of course I believe muting is the best alternative, but GGG seem spread fairly thin as it is; I can't imagine, at this point, a dedicated chat moderator. Still, perhaps that's something for the CM to handle, or at least delegate.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
SwedishTavern wrote:

The game has random items , random dungeons , items that make random things out of the random things.

So why not add random gibberish to the players that flame / rage ^^

This will not solve anything. Will just turn chat channels into psychiatric hospital branch.
"
DeF46 wrote:
Ingame chat isn't a forum. You can't expect the same rules to work there.
Why not? It's a place to hold discussions and ask questions, just like the forum. It's not different to the point that asking questions should be frowned upon and those asking should be insulted and told to go find the answer themselves.

"
DeF46 wrote:
There will always be a new stream of players at open beta, so even if each new player only ever asked ONE question, you will continue to see the same questions again and again.
There is no way to prevent people from asking questions. That's something people will just have to deal with. Even a full-fledged, mandatory tutorial won't prevent it. Not all players are going to spend 2 hours reading the FAQ and mechanics threads to understand every detail of the game before they've even played it.

"
DeF46 wrote:
As for a help channel, no one will use it, because there's no good way to encourage people to use a "help" channel. Global chat could reasonably be considered a help channel.

I think the best solution at this point is to prevent participation in global chat until some condition is reached. If people can't ask questions ingame for the first hour or so, or first few levels, that might let some of the most common questions answer themselves before they need to be asked and/or limit abuse.
I really don't agree with the idea of limiting global chat to a certain level or anything like that. You acknowledge the global can be considered "help" (which I agree with), then say it should be restricted so the people who need it most can't use it? That's a terrible idea that would just hinder new players and segregate them from the rest of the community.

If Normal Act 1 chat is so bothersome for veteran players, just don't pay attention to it for the couple hours you're in it on new characters.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
DeF46 wrote:
Another helpful thing GGG can do is add a /faq or /help commands, so yo ucan tell ppl "type /faq or /help" and after confirming an ingame dialog perhaps, a browser would open a purpose-made page on the site.

Chris is well-aware that far more substantial in-game help is a 'mission', to use his term. I'm 100% for it. You have no idea how many levels I haven't gained by refusing to turn off Global Chat and trying to be helpful but at the same time encouraging people to learn for themselves...
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
I would like to say thanks to all those who have been answering questions of new people like myself (and yes, I have read the FAQ) and for that reason I don't turn off gc even when the trolls are rampaging. I think the community is pretty good, and it's just a few people from Diablo who come over to start trouble.

There are currently no consequences for trolling/racism/threats etc etc and so it will keep happening. A bigger ignore list will help for now, but I seriously hope for a report feature in the near future. With a game that's FTP, there's no reason not to give the boot to people who just come into the game to troll.
IGN Tamariku
"
timoraine wrote:

There are currently no consequences for trolling/racism/threats etc etc and so it will keep happening.

Hit F8, go to your screenshots folder under the game's main directory, open the screenshot with your favourite graphics editing program, crop the innocent to protect their...innocence, send evidence of such offences to support@grindinggear.com and we'll see about that whole 'no consequences' thing. Clunky, yes. Cumbersome, yes.

But far from ineffective.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info