The trolling and rudeness has to stop!

You know I could state it another way still: if nobody answered your questions in game and you were told there is a /faq command or a clickable link in game for the game FAQ topics here, what would you do?

Answering people who have questions in the first few levels of the game is no use in a way, because it's not encouraging them to do a bit of self learning. Therefore having a simple restriction where you can't echo in chat for the first 30 mins not only helps with abuse from trolls (clearly you notice their character names?).. but it also makes it more likely the person will use whatever help link or feature is provided.

After that first half hour or so has passed they can ask all they want AND during that firsy half hour or so, they can still READ all the other discussions, does it make sense?

That's why I personally like to keep chat on, I learn more by reading than asking. ;)
"
Winbot wrote:
It's sad just how bad the trolling is. :(

Yeah it is absoultely disgusting. It is really turning me off from this game.
"
DeF46 wrote:
You know I could state it another way still: if nobody answered your questions in game and you were told there is a /faq command or a clickable link in game for the game FAQ topics here, what would you do?

Answering people who have questions in the first few levels of the game is no use in a way, because it's not encouraging them to do a bit of self learning. Therefore having a simple restriction where you can't echo in chat for the first 30 mins not only helps with abuse from trolls (clearly you notice their character names?).. but it also makes it more likely the person will use whatever help link or feature is provided.

After that first half hour or so has passed they can ask all they want AND during that firsy half hour or so, they can still READ all the other discussions, does it make sense?

That's why I personally like to keep chat on, I learn more by reading than asking. ;)

People aren't providing links. They're just saying, "go to the forums", "figure it out yourself", or "STFU noob". Instead of having to learn about the game by not playing it, it would be much better if people could learn about the game while they're playing it.

I asked a question about whether dodge or block was additive or multiplicative, which is a simple A or B question, and I get fed the same canned BS responses. You can't take 5 seconds to save me several minutes of scouring the site? Really?

The community is not helpful at all. That's really, really bad for a game that has so many convoluted mechanics.

well i really wouldnt go to the forums and try to find sonething with no idea how to search it etc... im really bad at this

and a ''go read the forums'' is the same to me like ''stfu''
when i just started out and have a really simple question

when i see a question i answer it, im glad to help

if i dont know i tell my guess and say that its just my guess

the interesting part is probably that the people that know anything about the game at all are in merciless, not in normal difficulty

dont bother the global chat in normal guys.. you wont spend much time there anyways

and if u play hc(and might play normal more often), im sure theres far less lunatics, also on normal mode

i insist you not to tell newbies to go to the forums, unless you copy them a link straight to the answer of their question, wich you have anyways when u have the link to it... so

just answer them, those 10 seconds are not so valuable time as u might feel they are

the game comparison hype has its reason: games in general get more crappier and more prollish (check d3),
so people are disappointed and move into new games with a bad vibe, seeing the trash parts first and later the good parts, wich kinda makes them complain faster&start talking crap in normal mode act1 lvl 3 - before they actually played the game

i'd recommend the function where typical ''troll'' words are just removed, showing a broken down sentence with no meaning at all, only the writer can see thefull sentence.. would be quite efficient and.. hehe funny if they dont get whats happening :D
"
DeathManiac wrote:
well i really wouldnt go to the forums and try to find sonething with no idea how to search it etc... im really bad at this

and a ''go read the forums'' is the same to me like ''stfu''
when i just started out and have a really simple question

when i see a question i answer it, im glad to help

if i dont know i tell my guess and say that its just my guess

the interesting part is probably that the people that know anything about the game at all are in merciless, not in normal difficulty

dont bother the global chat in normal guys.. you wont spend much time there anyways

and if u play hc(and might play normal more often), im sure theres far less lunatics, also on normal mode

i insist you not to tell newbies to go to the forums, unless you copy them a link straight to the answer of their question, wich you have anyways when u have the link to it... so

just answer them, those 10 seconds are not so valuable time as u might feel they are

the game comparison hype has its reason: games in general get more crappier and more prollish (check d3),
so people are disappointed and move into new games with a bad vibe, seeing the trash parts first and later the good parts, wich kinda makes them complain faster&start talking crap in normal mode act1 lvl 3 - before they actually played the game

i'd recommend the function where typical ''troll'' words are just removed, showing a broken down sentence with no meaning at all, only the writer can see thefull sentence.. would be quite efficient and.. hehe funny if they dont get whats happening :D

Answer to the part about "ten seconds", during most of these "ten seconds" most players are in a mob fight or passive skill tree looking at a build. We often miss these questions and honestly alot of this game is described in the forums if its too hard when someone tells you to read the forums out of a quick reply due to probably playing the game and in the midde of something often during those "ten seconds" i suggest you take those "ten seconds" and go to the forums and go to general chat and read the FAQ like most players actually really do when told to check the forums.

Please don't pm me asking for beta keys :)
It's also futile posting a link in the chat because if people aren't likely to come here and read a *stickied post*, they're certainly not likely to bother typing out an entire URL. I try to be as clear and detailed as possible when I direct people to the FAQ, and 75-80% of the time they say something nice like 'thank you' and that's that. I seriously do not think it's unreasonable to direct someone to an FAQ I myself edited and Dark0mens worked very hard to produce where they can also leave questions of their own and, wow, actually get answered. The goal is to relieve the global chat of some of the clutter caused by the same 5-10 questions, which are, believe it or not, precisely what prompted an FAQ. Frequently. Asked. Questions.

I'm very sorry if people think their questions are somehow unique or special, because most of the time, they're not. I've seen very helpful people in Global Chat answering for hours on end, but the moment they stop or suggest people read the FAQ, suddenly they're the bad guys. That's pretty unfair.

Ultimately, we'd like the game itself to not NEED an FAQ -- this requires a lot of clarification on GGG's behalf, however.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
I don't blame new players for not wanting to check the forums. They're a mess right now. There's stuff all over the place, and not all of the useful things are in obvious or convenient places.

Searching a forum can also be a hassle, because everyone doesn't use the same words all the time. Thinking of search keywords can be a real pain, especially to a new player who doesn't know the community's common lingo. What if a new player wants to know the elemental resistance cap? Searching for that phrase doesn't offer an answer easily.

Look at it from the other point of view: if you ask a question and someone answers "read the forum," how does that sound? Generally, it sounds rather rude and unhelpful, basically saying "Go find out yourself; I don't feel like dealing with you." A better option would be to just not answer at all if you don't have anything truly helpful to say, such as "Check the mechanics thread in the Beta General Discussion forum." These rude-sounding answers are a major reason that new players are complaining about "trolling" and rudeness.

Also, this.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Jul 9, 2012, 1:18:38 AM
I always specify where to look. Typically I'll answer the question even if it's in the FAQ and then stipulate, 'you can check the FAQ stickied in the General Discussion board if you have further problems, and then ask here if the answer's not there' or somesuch.

Of course I feel that 'go read the forum' in and of itself is utterly useless and rude.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Of course, that post wasn't directed at you. We all know brevity isn't your strong point :P
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
These rude-sounding answers are a major reason that new players are complaining about "trolling" and rudeness.

No, I have to disagree with that one. A few individuals are working very hard to innocuously but continually instigate D3 discussion in normal Global Chat -- and whether you support the game or are against it, it's an extremely incendiary topic and will make trolls of both sides' most staunch advocates.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info