PoE's item trading system

I don't think the auction house will ever happen. It was a mess for that *other* game to the point that they removed it.

What we could use is a "Trade Escrow" system.

Sellers would have a special tab to set up a limited number of sales -each with a buyout price. A buyer would come along, pay the buyout price and *poof* transaction complete. Each new item is transferred into the stash of its new owner.

Advantages:
1. Would work regardless as to the seller being online or not.
2. The number of available Trade Escrow slots for a given player could be moderated/limited. Base the availability and number of slots on character level, achievement, MTA, or something else.
3. A small house charge (Escrow costs) could be added as a currency sink.
4. It would operate in addition to, rather than as a replacement of, the in-game trading that we now use.
5. Existing trade sites (PoE trade, etc) could still be used to locate items to be purchased with an indication as to how the transaction is to be handled (trade escrow or in-game trade).

Item 1 would help address the price manipulation by people listing items they have no intention of selling at the listed price.

Items 2 & 3 would hopefully go a ways toward addressing the botting issue.

Just an idea.

"
Rathawk wrote:
I don't think the auction house will ever happen. It was a mess for that *other* game to the point that they removed it.

What we could use is a "Trade Escrow" system.

Sellers would have a special tab to set up a limited number of sales -each with a buyout price. A buyer would come along, pay the buyout price and *poof* transaction complete. Each new item is transferred into the stash of its new owner.

Advantages:
1. Would work regardless as to the seller being online or not.
2. The number of available Trade Escrow slots for a given player could be moderated/limited. Base the availability and number of slots on character level, achievement, MTA, or something else.
3. A small house charge (Escrow costs) could be added as a currency sink.
4. It would operate in addition to, rather than as a replacement of, the in-game trading that we now use.
5. Existing trade sites (PoE trade, etc) could still be used to locate items to be purchased with an indication as to how the transaction is to be handled (trade escrow or in-game trade).

Item 1 would help address the price manipulation by people listing items they have no intention of selling at the listed price.

Items 2 & 3 would hopefully go a ways toward addressing the botting issue.

Just an idea.

You just described an AH, lmao

Worth noting too that the *other* game had a slew of other issues that made AH the least of its problems:

*Poor item design
*Poor item generation
*Uniques that... weren't
*Arbitrary "doubling" of difficulty because they predicted the best players being able to get through it with good gear and wanted to make it "hard"
*Straight up RMT attached to the AH
*Used gold as primary currency, something easily and commonly acquired
*Due to previously mentioned arbitrary inflation of enemy stats, defensive stats had little/no use on ranged characters, because the meta was that you would get one-shot if you got hit either way, so just skip defenses (mostly)
*Class imbalance and generic design that led to everything just being about picking a ranged character and maximizing your dps, so certain items had grossly inflated value
*Dumbing down of classes--and more importantly, gear--compared to D2
*Performance/Server issues at launch and for awhile after
*Rare monsters having too many lethal modifiers that combined in disgusting ways, discouraging tons of players from engaging with the game because getting one-shot from offscreen by a pack you didn't know was there isn't any fun

These are just the obvious, off-the-top-of-the-head ones I remember at a glance. There were plenty more. That's why people bringing this up as an anti-AH argument is always a red herring; they aren't comparing apples to apples in even the slightest measure.
Tired of trolls? Ignore them.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1473168
Last edited by Albinosaurus on Nov 16, 2019, 9:37:25 AM
"
Albinosaurus wrote:

What's there to counter when you're straight up wrong? Besides, I already outlined some of these points in this thread, so your inquiry is rather laughable. Next, please.

You're literal quote says "Auction houses can and have worked perfectly fine in other games."

Again, name me one single ARPG that has an AH that works 'perfectly fine'. Hell I'll even let you know, I haven't googled this, I could be completely wrong and there IS an ARPG with an AH that works perfect.

That, or you're a liar.
"

Hmm.. I don't recall noting an "auction" component in my previous post. Just a buyout price -take it or leave it, no bidding.

Perhaps you can show me where I noted it.
"
Rathawk wrote:
"

Hmm.. I don't recall noting an "auction" component in my previous post. Just a buyout price -take it or leave it, no bidding.

No one - GGG or otherwise - objects to the "auction" part. That just happens to be the way we've come to call automated trading. The automation is the problem.
"
Bleu42 wrote:
You think botting / flipping / price fixing is bad now? Put in an auction house. And as you say you want, let people buy from those offline.

You'll see EVERYTHING be price fixed, and anything of worth be out of the majority of players reach within days if you let everyone instantly buy without limitations.

The only thing keeping events like this at bay is the fact that it takes times to whisper a person, get an invite, go to the hideout and trade, and that's if they're online.

You also said "Auction houses can and have worked perfectly fine in other games." Name me an ARPG that has an AH that's proven to have worked fine. And lastly, HELL ya D3's AH can and will be used as an example of how it damages a game. They literally removed it because players were spending more time on the AH then actually playing the game.

An auction house wouldn't make that page flipping any worse if not better, considering how you'd be in-game the entire time, and I never described it as bad beyond how the current one needs the seller to be an active participant of the trade in order for it to work as it is now. The current system can often lead to numerous "dead ends" of sort where you message a supposedly online person for a trade only to nothing going on after. This can lead to an exhausting experience where you're in the trading windows more than you are playing the game.

An AH would make it better since you would find the item you need and go through the motions of claiming it so you can quickly get back to playing the game. Those selling their items can get their trading done without having to back out of a map to a stream of buy requests. Overall, more time playing the game for buyers and sellers.

The nature of how the item is purchased can vary as I've seen AH systems go from Ebay-like bets on World of Warcraft to straight up purchasing from an assigned price like from Pocket Legends on mobile. AH, as a concept, has been taken to many different directions with success when implemented properly.

D3's AH was a failure because it was in fault of the game not the AH as a concept. People were spending more time at the AH than playing the game because they were forced into that position by poor game design like how PoE is forcing players into having multiple windows open because they need an external browser just to find and trade for an item they need rather than have it as a system in-game.
"
Bleu42 wrote:
"
Albinosaurus wrote:

What's there to counter when you're straight up wrong? Besides, I already outlined some of these points in this thread, so your inquiry is rather laughable. Next, please.

You're literal quote says "Auction houses can and have worked perfectly fine in other games."

Again, name me one single ARPG that has an AH that works 'perfectly fine'. Hell I'll even let you know, I haven't googled this, I could be completely wrong and there IS an ARPG with an AH that works perfect.

That, or you're a liar.

See, this is the dumb argument I was talking about before. I didn't say in other ARPGs because nobody is doing it yet--again, because they took the wrong lesson from D3. However, if that's what you're trying to stick with, there's no point discussing it with you because you simply lack the logical faculties required to even have the discussion. It boils down to this: Just because nobody has, doesn't mean it's impossible. There's only been one attempt with ARGPs specifically and they did *everything* wrong--not just how they handled the AH.

But of course you have to try to pidgeon-hole it into this red-herring, because you know the truth: AH does work. Everyone knows this. You just don't want to admit it.
"
"
Rathawk wrote:
"

No one - GGG or otherwise - objects to the "auction" part. That just happens to be the way we've come to call automated trading. The automation is the problem.

They resort to word games when they don't have an actual argument. Just stop replying to them, I guess. They probably aren't worth the time or characters on page to continue engaging with as long as they want to be disingenuous.
trading is fine
GGG has to to work on the problems people have not by change how the trading works instead work on the cause of the probelems.

with new Atlas i think they did a major increase because you can upgrade whole atlas regions and therefor have at some point only T14+ maps that can drop. so no need to buy maps for me
"
Albinosaurus wrote:
"
Bleu42 wrote:
"
Albinosaurus wrote:

That, or you're a liar.

See, this is the dumb argument I was talking about before. I didn't say in other ARPGs because nobody is doing it yet--again, because they took the wrong lesson from D3. However, if that's what you're trying to stick with, there's no point discussing it with you because you simply lack the logical faculties required to even have the discussion. It boils down to this: Just because nobody has, doesn't mean it's impossible. There's only been one attempt with ARGPs specifically and they did *everything* wrong--not just how they handled the AH.

But of course you have to try to pidgeon-hole it into this red-herring, because you know the truth: AH does work. Everyone knows this. You just don't want to admit it.

You evaded answering the question twice, only to finally admit you were lying in your argument, THEN you double down without a single shred of information to back it up.

Top it off of course with personal attacks, and you've proven not only do you not understand what you're saying, you're willing to lie to try to make your point.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info