Fireball

You get kicked for a lot of stuff lagging people, including summons if the group has many auras or fireball, poison arrow, Arctic blast, Ice Shot and so on with supports that make a lot of these on the screen at a time. A lot of skills actually lag people with crappy computers really bad in full groups, so yeah it kinda sucks. Hell even with my computer which is pretty good, when I grouped with a friend was was using LMP+fork poison arrow, I was lagging really badly in windowed fullscreen mode. In pure fullscreen lag was gone but it was very annoying in windowed.

I have a lvl 72 Fire/Summoner witch that up to this point I had played exclusively solo. My build is heavier on fire than summons as I like to be doing the heavy lifting, so well over half the damage done to mobs is reliant on Fireball (and to a leser degree Firestorm), not my summons. I'll go on record as saying that up until recently I had no real issue with Fireball. It got the job done, albeit with some minor issues that I assumed were shared with the primary spells for cold/lightning. However, after seeing similar builds in action (namely FP) I can say I do feel a little slighted. After comparison it just feels slightly underpowered. By all appearances it casts slower, travels slower, and has less passive benefit to group members. If it's going to cast/travel so slow and offer no additional survivability, shouldn't it at least hit like a truck? I openly admit that I'm a big fan of numbers, and I come to this thread with none - only observation. Does anyone have a legitmate comparison of dmg between FB/FP with similar nodes/gear?
"
arkiver wrote:

I have a lvl 72 Fire/Summoner witch that up to this point I had played exclusively solo. My build is heavier on fire than summons as I like to be doing the heavy lifting, so well over half the damage done to mobs is reliant on Fireball (and to a leser degree Firestorm), not my summons. I'll go on record as saying that up until recently I had no real issue with Fireball. It got the job done, albeit with some minor issues that I assumed were shared with the primary spells for cold/lightning. However, after seeing similar builds in action (namely FP) I can say I do feel a little slighted. After comparison it just feels slightly underpowered. By all appearances it casts slower, travels slower, and has less passive benefit to group members. If it's going to cast/travel so slow and offer no additional survivability, shouldn't it at least hit like a truck? I openly admit that I'm a big fan of numbers, and I come to this thread with none - only observation. Does anyone have a legitmate comparison of dmg between FB/FP with similar nodes/gear?

That is pretty much spot on and my experiences as well. It gets the job done, it can work pretty darn decently. No problems at all really @Until@ you make a real comparison to the other elements. It's not just fireball, it's fire in general. It adds nothing to group play and the other two elemental ailments are just plainly better in most instances. I love fire, have no plans to play the other elements(outside of a silly artic breath build I want to have fun with) but I'm with you on this. It's great till you do a comparison, then it's the least of the three. You can make incinerate work pretty well but it takes, IMO, far more effort to see end game results.
IGN - Dapper_The_Strapper
"Stripper with a strap-on"
I recently found The Searing Touch unique Long Staff and decided to try to build an AoE fire crit shadow. My plan was to go for the Blast Radius passive node in the witch tree and the Amplify node in the Templar tree to increase the area radius and dmg of my fireball.

I got to level 23 and was excited to have finally reached "Blast Radius", and (like always) I checked my fireball and molten shell dps before and after applying the passive point to see the increase. My Molten shell dps went up, but the fireball dps did not and I used a passive respec point to confirm this. I cannot tell if my fireball received the AoE radius bonus or not either.

Fireball is an AoE skill so I expected it to be affected by the Blast Radius passive, but it appears that it is not. Is this working as intended, or perhaps the dps buff from Blast Radius was just not reflected in the tooltip and/or stat sheet?

Any help or insight would be appreciated, Thank you
I think it's the same for Concentrated Effect. AoE increases do work but do not show on the tooltip.
IGN : Jovial
Correct. The listed damage is not the AoE damage, but the hit damage.

Fireball only deals AoE damage when it expires; if it Pierces, Forks or Chains, it simply deals damage to the target and nothing else. As such, it is important to make the distinction between AoE damage and single hit damage.
The character sheet can only display one value (currently?), though, and it shows the single hit damage.
This is rather confusing, can someone tell me this fireball has 2 type of damage, one being impact on spell hitting on target, another one being the splash when it explodes, corret?

Does that mean the monster will suffer from 2 types of damage at single cast?

Coz I've been thinking a lot to adjust my support gems for flame sentinels, and if the AoE ends up killing everything then my IIR/IIQ is useless, coz IIR/IIQ wont apply to AoE kill atm, since AoE isn't "on hit".

The AoE does Hit, and does benefit from IIQ/R :/
It's tertiary effects such as Burning that don't trigger the Support gems because they're not part of the Skill.
- Deleted - Wrong section
Last edited by Madhibiki on Apr 3, 2013, 2:13:25 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Correct. The listed damage is not the AoE damage, but the hit damage.

Fireball only deals AoE damage when it expires; if it Pierces, Forks or Chains, it simply deals damage to the target and nothing else. As such, it is important to make the distinction between AoE damage and single hit damage.
The character sheet can only display one value (currently?), though, and it shows the single hit damage.

I noticed the tooltip DPS didn't change when I added a point on "Blast Radius" node.
As I understand it, Fireball has a "hit" damage and a "explosion" damage, typically the same ammount, and the monster directly hit is not affected by the explosion.
The tooltip shows only the "hit" damage, not the AoE explosion dmg, is that it?
So when I get blast Radius, the 12% inc Area damage only affects the damage delt to other then the first target?

10.5 patch feedback: I LOVE the smoke!!!!
Breach build - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1772123
Last edited by nmc09331 on Apr 7, 2013, 9:42:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info