Fireball

Damage too low. As frost witch/summoner I was leveling fireball thinking I could use it for ice resistant bosses, but it turns out just spamming Ice Spear shatters worked much better. If the spell had nice AoE explosion on impact and knockback effect it would be considerably better. Also, application of a stackable fire DoT would be attractive independant of ignite burn.
Even after upping my fire damage with 4 skills, including the 12% "special" passive, I still find fireball lacking. Right now, Icespear and Firestorm are so very much more powerful, there really is no reason to use Fireball after acquiring either of those.

It should either fire faster, or have a greater AoE, or should rather have it's damage increased.

Or perhaps, I'd like to suggest it being "trown". Meaning that if you aim for archers behind melee units, it'd fly other the units in from in an arch. That way you could apply it like Cold Snap, but with travel time.

"
WxsOnline wrote:
Fireball is hitting less targets, for less damage, with lower crit chance than freezing pulse. It has longer range, but that's it. With its lack of slowing effect, we can't stand around firing it as much, so it stands to reason that it should deal more damage when we do, as well as because of its lesser aoe. In addition, the longer range does not help because the targets we'd want to use it on (i.e. archers) are constantly blocked by melee monsters getting in our face, whereas pulse would go through them anyways, in addition to its higher dmg, cc, and bigger aoe. This spell just feels very underpowered before you get to support gem levels.

Like the persons above, I find myself reverting to nova spam even though I planned my character around projectiles. It just seems much more viable to kite around a large pack just outside of their range spamming electric nova than to depend on projectiles... especially fireball.
To be fair, burning makes many enemies run away and Fire's burning also deals 120% of the fire damage dealt over 4 seconds, so it can deal decent damage in that regard. I still think it's too weak though.
"
Strill wrote:
"
WxsOnline wrote:
Fireball is hitting less targets, for less damage, with lower crit chance than freezing pulse. It has longer range, but that's it. With its lack of slowing effect, we can't stand around firing it as much, so it stands to reason that it should deal more damage when we do, as well as because of its lesser aoe. In addition, the longer range does not help because the targets we'd want to use it on (i.e. archers) are constantly blocked by melee monsters getting in our face, whereas pulse would go through them anyways, in addition to its higher dmg, cc, and bigger aoe. This spell just feels very underpowered before you get to support gem levels.

Like the persons above, I find myself reverting to nova spam even though I planned my character around projectiles. It just seems much more viable to kite around a large pack just outside of their range spamming electric nova than to depend on projectiles... especially fireball.
To be fair, burning makes many enemies run away and Fire's burning also deals 120% of the fire damage dealt over 4 seconds, so it can deal decent damage in that regard. I still think it's too weak though.
...And now I see one of the reasons why I think Fireball is so weak.

Ice Spear, on top of having better Crit chance, a better AoE type, and better single-target damage, also has almost 50% more base damage than Fireball.

Unavailable
Unavailable
Last edited by Strill on Jan 9, 2012, 5:45:53 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
Strill wrote:

Ice Spear, on top of having better Crit chance, a better AoE type, and better single-target damage, also has almost 50% more base damage than Fireball.

Unavailable
Unavailable

For non crit fire builds, i think fireball+multiple projectiles+faster projectiles+concentrate effect+chance to ignite better than ice spear. If u want crit with fire witch get something like this
Unavailable
works very good, also have no problems with any resistance mobs.
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
For non crit fire builds, i think fireball+multiple projectiles+faster projectiles+concentrate effect+chance to ignite better than ice spear.

Faster Projectiles is pointless in that set up.

Fireball damage is very, very bad and needs all the help it can get, so Chaos Damage and Faster Cast Speed get priority after Concentrate/MultProj.

And even then, the crit penalty was lowered, so I suspect that crit is still very important on a 2-3 fireball array.
Last edited by konfeta on Jan 10, 2012, 8:46:15 AM
"
konfeta wrote:
"
For non crit fire builds, i think fireball+multiple projectiles+faster projectiles+concentrate effect+chance to ignite better than ice spear.

Faster Projectiles is pointless in that set up.

Fireball damage is very, very bad and needs all the help it can get, so Chaos Damage and Faster Cast Speed get priority after Concentrate/MultProj.

And even then, the crit penalty was lowered, so I suspect that crit is still very important on a 2-3 fireball array.

Faster projectiles give 19% increased total projectile damage at max lvl i think its better for fire ball then added chaos, cuz it very slow spell, also u can increase total projectiles damage by using projectiles weakness curse. For high fire crit multi proj, easer get all fire, cold and crit passives, gem set like in armor that i linked before but swap added chaos with multi proj, and collect rare orbs for buy 6 linking armor for add chaos damage to this.
Chaos more than doubles Fireball base damage. Faster Projectiles really doesn't compare.

Elemental Weakness and Critical Weakness are also far stronger DPS boosters for it than Projectile Weakness is.

And, really, Fireballs moving faster doesn't help the spell all that much. In practice, you are creating a stream of Fireball damage, not sniping things with it.
My major issue is the feel of spells. I kinda expect fireball of have a nice sized aoe. Damages can be modified with other gems I can see that. But right now PbAoe's rule them all. Firestorm with chaos damaged attached also tends to be metric F tons more effective then the slow casting fireball.
I just started playing beta and use this on a Templar as my current ranged attack.

I found out by accident that it has an AOE. That's not clear in the description. When I initially got it I assumed it would only damage the target it hit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info