Fireball

"
Vipermagi wrote:
You're playing on Predictive, I take it? Sounds like the age-old desynch; server has your Projectile going in an entirely different direction from where the enemy is standing.

I can vouch for Jeremiah. I play lockstep and sometimes my fireballs exploded without dealing damage. Has nothing to do with desync. I felt like it happened more with GMP gem than any other support gems.(need more testing) It`s nothing major but when u focus on it it becomes irritating.
I've always wanted to make a fireball (hard)caster build but somehow never got around to it. This league, I decided to go for it. I'm running it 5L atm:

fireball
controlled destruction
fire penetration
lesser multiple projectiles
faster projectiles

High cast speed and high projectile speed makes fireballing really fun. It eats crazy mana though, I'm running clarity + mana/mana regen on gear to deal with it. If I ever 6L it I may need to get even more.
projectile become invisible once a certain point with big AOE . This should be fixed
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
Fireball is fun but I feel like the threshold jewel needs to be a bit more powerful because it feels quite lacking compared to other threshold jewels.

Either with 1 added projectile or +1 pierce.

Having a chance to explode on pierce would be a nice quality of life but I think added projectiles would be better
Why does (Vaal) Fireball got no Duration tag? Even though it has a DoT characteristic in the description (Ignite DoT/Burning Damage)

Char: SonnyWalsh, See my open profile - Ignite Fireball Hiero.

I am coming here because I can not "farm" Legion with my Vaal Skill like every other Vaal Skill (either damage mechanics, or Soul Gain prevention reduction min-max). I always have to pick one side, release Vaal Fireball, and unlock the rest, the leftovers, manually (especially the bigger ones) w Fireball that did not get unlocked.

Another oddity in regards to the Duration Tag:

Swift Affliction (tags Support, Duration) does not reduce Soul Gain prevention time (in-game POB tooltip), nor or increase POE in-game tooltip DPS. But POB does suggest it as Support gem. Engineering Eternity got as 6th Support Gem Swift Affliction for his Ignite Fireball char.

Less Duration (tags Support, Duration). The same tags as Swift Affliction! Does not reduce Soul Gain prevention time. Nor increase POB in-game tooltip DPS.

BUT Fireball with 100% ignite has a Duration tag, otherwise, Swift Affliction would not work - according to POB, when you check in the Calculations tab "Is the Enemy Burning" and "Is the Enemy Ignited". Duh. So POE.

The compromise would be to add a Duration tag at least for Vaal Fireball. Even Vaal Arc, Vaal Spark skills with no damage over time feature got a Duration tag: https://youtu.be/kOInHGfaHkI?t=626

And or add the same wording as it says on Vaal Arc and Vaal Spark:

"
Modifiers to Skill Effect Duration also apply to this Skill's Soul Gain Prevention

Why does Vaal Fireball not have it?

PS: I also could be POE-stupid, and Less Duration actually does work, when there is Swift Affliction with it in the 6L AND the enemy is Ignited-Burning (because now, in this case, Fireball got a Duration tag, yay). Purely on a damage basis (more DPS).

But Soul Gain Prevention will still not work, as mentioned the extra wording in the other Vaal Skills.

Only the designer of the skill could say. As neither POE in-game tooltip nor POB will reveal the truth.
Last edited by RPGNoobANKA on Jul 9, 2019, 1:59:53 PM
"
RPGNoobANKA wrote:
Why does (Vaal) Fireball got no Duration tag? Even though it has a DoT characteristic in the description (Ignite DoT/Burning Damage)
Because it has no effect with a skill duration. Ailments (including ignite) treat their duration entirely seperately from the skill, and modifiers to skill effect duration don't interact with them at all. The Duration tag is added to gems based on skill duration affecting the skill.
Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

But my POE-stupid, has to double check here.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Ailments (including ignite) treat their duration entirely seperately from the skill ...

So, adding Swift Affliction (5L) and Less Duration (6L) to my Fireball (100%) Ignite (Fireball + Ignite Prolif + Combustion + Deadly Ailments[1]), will shorten the Duration of my Ignite DoT (Burning Damage) applied and increase the damage ("more" via Swift Affliction and "more" via Less Duration)? Yes or No?

Because as I wrote, in my original post: Swift Affliction is suggested in POB as support gem (under the condition the "Enemy is Ignited/Burning", adding a "Duration" tag), which POE in-game DPS tooltip cannot calculate, because there is no tick box in POE for the conditionality of the "Enemy is Ignited/Burning". But there is a wording in the tooltip "more damage with ignite" ( https://imgur.com/a/wwCiAA7 ). Fair game.

And if Swift Affliction works as Support Gem (adding a "Duration" tag) on the condition "Enemy is Ignited/Burning", then Less Duration has to work as a 6L as well, at least for, as you said: "Ailments (including ignite)".

Same as TarkeCat talked about in this two-year-old video: 'Burning Arrow gaining a tag because of its Threshold Jewels hidden internal tag' ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqGvN5zTBTw )

---

[1] This is a min-max thing. Because Swift Affliction + Less Duration is more "more" damage (DPS) than just Burning Damage + Swift Affliction (as Engineering Eternity in his Fireball Ignite build suggested). It helps during the whole duration of a boss fight because you put on more ignites (+ 2nd ignite on the enemy with Emberwake Ring). As the ignites expire faster.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
RPGNoobANKA wrote:
Because it has no effect with a skill duration. Ailments (including ignite) treat their duration entirely seperately from the skill, and modifiers to skill effect duration don't interact with them at all. The Duration tag is added to gems based on skill duration affecting the skill.

sep·a·rate·ly
SSF, because Path of Trade RMTers and bots suck.
"
Iamod wrote:

sep·a·rate·ly

*exhales in disappointment
Supports cannot add tags to gems. They can add to or change the behaviour of the skill, in a way that affects which other supports can apply, but that has nothing to do with tags. Tags are not used for supportability.

Swift Afliction says on the gem "Supports any skill that has a duration, or can hit enemies to inflict ailments on them". Fireball does not have a duration, but can hit enemies to inflict ailments, so Swift Afliction can support it.

Less Duration says "Supports any skill that has a duration", and since Fireball does not have any duration, it cannot support Fireball.

Swift Afliction only changes Fireball's behaviour by affecting the ailments in inflicts, it does not add a component to the skill with a duration, so it does not cause supports such as Less Duration to be able to apply.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info