Fireball

"
RPGNoobANKA wrote:
Why does (Vaal) Fireball got no Duration tag? Even though it has a DoT characteristic in the description (Ignite DoT/Burning Damage)
Because it has no effect with a skill duration. Ailments (including ignite) treat their duration entirely seperately from the skill, and modifiers to skill effect duration don't interact with them at all. The Duration tag is added to gems based on skill duration affecting the skill.
Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

But my POE-stupid, has to double check here.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Ailments (including ignite) treat their duration entirely seperately from the skill ...

So, adding Swift Affliction (5L) and Less Duration (6L) to my Fireball (100%) Ignite (Fireball + Ignite Prolif + Combustion + Deadly Ailments[1]), will shorten the Duration of my Ignite DoT (Burning Damage) applied and increase the damage ("more" via Swift Affliction and "more" via Less Duration)? Yes or No?

Because as I wrote, in my original post: Swift Affliction is suggested in POB as support gem (under the condition the "Enemy is Ignited/Burning", adding a "Duration" tag), which POE in-game DPS tooltip cannot calculate, because there is no tick box in POE for the conditionality of the "Enemy is Ignited/Burning". But there is a wording in the tooltip "more damage with ignite" ( https://imgur.com/a/wwCiAA7 ). Fair game.

And if Swift Affliction works as Support Gem (adding a "Duration" tag) on the condition "Enemy is Ignited/Burning", then Less Duration has to work as a 6L as well, at least for, as you said: "Ailments (including ignite)".

Same as TarkeCat talked about in this two-year-old video: 'Burning Arrow gaining a tag because of its Threshold Jewels hidden internal tag' ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqGvN5zTBTw )

---

[1] This is a min-max thing. Because Swift Affliction + Less Duration is more "more" damage (DPS) than just Burning Damage + Swift Affliction (as Engineering Eternity in his Fireball Ignite build suggested). It helps during the whole duration of a boss fight because you put on more ignites (+ 2nd ignite on the enemy with Emberwake Ring). As the ignites expire faster.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
RPGNoobANKA wrote:
Why does (Vaal) Fireball got no Duration tag? Even though it has a DoT characteristic in the description (Ignite DoT/Burning Damage)
Because it has no effect with a skill duration. Ailments (including ignite) treat their duration entirely seperately from the skill, and modifiers to skill effect duration don't interact with them at all. The Duration tag is added to gems based on skill duration affecting the skill.

sep·a·rate·ly
SSF, because Path of Trade RMTers suck.
"
Iamod wrote:

sep·a·rate·ly

*exhales in disappointment
Supports cannot add tags to gems. They can add to or change the behaviour of the skill, in a way that affects which other supports can apply, but that has nothing to do with tags. Tags are not used for supportability.

Swift Afliction says on the gem "Supports any skill that has a duration, or can hit enemies to inflict ailments on them". Fireball does not have a duration, but can hit enemies to inflict ailments, so Swift Afliction can support it.

Less Duration says "Supports any skill that has a duration", and since Fireball does not have any duration, it cannot support Fireball.

Swift Afliction only changes Fireball's behaviour by affecting the ailments in inflicts, it does not add a component to the skill with a duration, so it does not cause supports such as Less Duration to be able to apply.
"
Supports cannot add tags to gems. They can add to or change the behaviour of the skill, in a way that affects which other supports can apply, but that has nothing to do with tags. Tags are not used for supportability.

Swift Afliction says on the gem "Supports any skill that has a duration, or can hit enemies to inflict ailments on them". Fireball does not have a duration, but can hit enemies to inflict ailments, so Swift Afliction can support it.

Less Duration says "Supports any skill that has a duration", and since Fireball does not have any duration, it cannot support Fireball.

Swift Afliction only changes Fireball's behaviour by affecting the ailments in inflicts, it does not add a component to the skill with a duration, so it does not cause supports such as Less Duration to be able to apply.

I'm more curious than anything but doesn't the Arcane Surge Support add the duration tag to the linked skill, thereby allowing duration gems to affect things like Fireball?

I'm just going by what the Wiki says so I'm curious if this is true
No. None of that behaviour involves tags.

Arcane Surge modifies the behaviour of the supported skill such that it now applies a buff with an explicit duration. That means the skill now has a component with a duration, and thus can be modified by supports that care about that.

Tags are a property of gems, not skills. They are not involved at all in working out what supports what. They are used to identify classes of gems.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info