Fireball

the problem is not clearing. Every skill can clear easily. The problem is when u face those nasty modded bosses or mobs at high level gameplay. At tier 10+ fireball is shit. I think shit is even better,just crap in your hands and throw it at the mobs.
show me your build because i had 0 problems with bosses/rares in t10+ with my now L88 fireballer.

and if one needs single target setup - Flame Surge fits any FB build PERFECTLY. i have a 3 link setup but i rarely even use it.

im not saying FB is very strong - no, it is not comparable with blade vortex or blade fall. but can be made into an end game build with very solid performance
I did a completely different build, as you can see from my gear. I dont go for burn, i decided to try the syngery between consuming dark and infernal mantle since i had 6l it with some fuses.

Spoiler

Playing like this requires absolutely the GMP, which take you down 40%. Though i think damage is fine against packs (maybe not very good for single target, but frost wall helps a lot).

Also, im not elementalist. I am a trickster, using 3 rolling flames. 3 jewels are the MINIMUM to use fireball. Linking Increase AoE is totally useless: adding 35% aoe to a shitful base doesn't improve anything, it is a gem slot wasted. This is terrible.

my passive tree:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYCAAMeBUINfA5ID8QRDxEtES8RUBGWFdcV5xpsHNwfQR_HIG4i9CaIKPopTyoLKwosnCy_LYsy0TW5Nj07fDwFPV9BlkVHRXxJsUyDTLNQMFJTVEdVhVZjV8lca13yXypfamZUZp5sC20ZcFJw1HIPc7N0VXSBfIN-WX_GgLOCm4LHhEiGronTjDaMdo8aj_qRR5MnlG-XlZeXl_SaO548n9-hL6KjpcumvqcrrJius7DYtUi3MLcxuJO4yr6KwGbBxcNt0B_Q0ND11abXz9te5CLoWutj6-7sGO0873zviO_r8Gv3wffX-Tf5pPno?accountName=Serge91&characterName=Chaotic_Balls

I think that projectile size and speed is terrible. If they are so slow, they cant be so tiny.
"
sidtherat wrote:
can be made into an end game build with very solid performance

Nope. Sure it`s easy on blank maps. But on maps with mods ,fireball is trash. Have you tried atziri with fireball? Upload a solid atziri run with fireball on youtube and maybe i`ll change my mind about fireball.

I`ll list one of the builds i tried.

I tried full chaos conversion with

Burn damage is absolutely abysmal. I ignored it completely.
My witch is a tri-curse occultist. Killing tricursed enemies gives a whopping 12%more chaos damage.It`s like a small frenzy buff. Profane bloom gives +10% dmg against cursed enemies. Void-beacon reduces chaos resist by 20%

I tried various gem combination and the best that worked for me was:
Fireball>lmp(gmp)>void manipulation>spell echo>controlled destruction>concentrated effect.

This was with 4 rolling flames.
Concentrated Effect is not a viable support gem for Fireball, unless you play for burning damage with elementalist proliferation, or you manage to put 5 rolling flames jewel (Which is totally insane, the number of passive points wasted for this is huge).
"
Serge91 wrote:
Concentrated Effect is not a viable support gem for Fireball, unless you play for burning damage with elementalist proliferation, or you manage to put 5 rolling flames jewel (Which is totally insane, the number of passive points wasted for this is huge).

Not viable? Are you serious?
The reduced aoe is not even noticeable even with 2-3 rolling flames. If u think that 59 % more Area Damage +10% increased aoe damage is not viable then i`d like to know what you think is viable lol.
"
kindevu wrote:
"
Serge91 wrote:

Not viable? Are you serious?
The reduced aoe is not even noticeable even with 2-3 rolling flames. If u think that 59 % more Area Damage +10% increased aoe damage is not viable then i`d like to know what you think is viable lol.

I didnt say that it doesnt boost damage. I meant to say, with "it's not viable", that it reduces drastically the area of effect... which is very tiny for fireball. With 3 rolling flames the area is ok (and taking all the passive nodes that increase the area), so making it 40% less its not a great idea (except for the hardest boss to kill them faster: though change another support for some istant to put in concentrated effect doesnt mean that "its viable"). You can get a similar dps boost using elemental focus or controlled destruction, without losing so much area. If you want to use concentrated and still have a decent aoe for packs, then you will need more than 3 rolling flames on the passive tree.
Also, its not very helpful for single target: without conc effect, your explosion are going to overlap. If you put conc effect in, this wont happen ---> this is dps lost that you cant see on the tooltip.

This is not the case, of course, if you want to use fireball for burning: aoe then is irrilevant, and so reducing a useless aoe to increase a lot the damage is a good idea.

This is what I meant with the previous post.

Also. The fireball aoe with the passive nodes on area of effect and 2 rolling flames is crap.
Last edited by Serge91 on May 11, 2016, 7:20:34 AM
No other gem gives as much damage as conc effect. Controlled destruction etc don`t even come close. And for the small reduce in aoe which is almost unnoticeable like i said earlier,conc effect is one of the best gems for fireball.There is a reason why all top fireball witches use conc effect. I played again with 3 rolling flames and gmp and fireballs DID overlap. Now i play with 4 rolling flames for faster map clearing.

my passive tree :
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMBAAFvA3UEBwSzBx4HYwj0DkgQWBEPES8RlhZvFr8abBqBHNwfAiL0JKomlSlPKwosnC0fMjQ2xTbpOw08BTy9PV9CekSrSVFJsUyzUEJRdFJTUzVVS1WuVcZWSFh3XGtd8l8EXyph4mZUZp5p2GpDbAttGXIPenB88H5ZfqF_xoIQg9uESIV7h2WLeow2jr6PGo-mkQeRK5LBkyeUb5Uul5WX9Jo7na6f36EvogCio6aZpwivt7QMtUi4k76KwFTAZsNtytPLvdAf1abXz9gk2t3fsOL342rkIutj6-Tr7uw47TzvfO-I7-vw1fk3?accountName=kindevu&characterName=zabani
Last edited by kindevu on May 11, 2016, 7:48:32 AM
The base area of effect should be tripled at least. The fireball should explode in a huge area upon impact.
Light as a neutral force.

The new flesh emerges.
This spell on its own is still bad. If it weren't for ignite, fireball would be absolute horrible.
Huge mana costs,slow cast time,huge investment to give it a reasonable aoe just don`t cut it.
With wall nerf it became even worse. 50% more damage is way less damage than pre-nerf wall fireball.

Fireball however,is the best skill to play ignite based build. With 50% more base damage you can pull of big ignite damages now. Combined with elementlist ascendancy its a real good build. Check Mathils fireball build.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igfjyzb-F_M

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info