Double Strike

Heavy Strike:
> x1.5 damage multiplier
> ~35% additional physical damage at high gem levels
> knockback (can be good or bad for you)

Double Strike:
> x1.4 damage multiplier
> ~30% additional physical damage at high gem levels
> Can proc effects twice

The double proc can be useful for stacking shock debuffs.
Last edited by RabidRabbit on May 8, 2012, 3:43:47 PM
"
C1rcean wrote:
double strike is not affected when in a +1 melee gem level item. this a know issue or am I a unique case?
This is because the skill wasn't always melee-only, and didn't get updated to count as a melee gem when that changed. It's now fixed, should go through to beta in an upcoming patch.
The game is already 0.9.9, and you still not change this skill. It's obvious that players won't use Double Strike when they have Heavy Strike.

When you have no element damage, the calculation is below.

Take lv11 gems for example :

Heavy Strike :

150% base damage x 140% = 210% your base damage

Mana : 8

Stun and knockback the enemy

Double Strike

70% base damage x 120% x 2 = 168% your base damage(each hit is 84%)

We all know that DS hits twice.
So if an enemy has armor, the damage will be redused twice. It means the damage will be actually lower.

Mana : 11

No other effects

GGG, your math is bad.

If you don't modify this skill in the future, then I really can't realize what you are thinking.
I was disappointed that Double strike didn't fetch much attention in 0.9.9

Gonna try to build a character mildy around it, and play with it a bit.

But I was wondering does the second strike seek a new opponent if another one isn't right in front or is the damage instance.

in other words if the monster died in the first hit would a monster directly beside it take the second hit?

Wish List:

Seeking Strike, second (third +) Strike would seek for enemies within melee range.

More Strikes, As level of gem is increased the number of strikes is increased as is the length of the animation limiting its actual relevant attack speed.

Something like the Animation would be:

Weapon Attacks Per Second * 3.0 * Number of Strikes = Animation length of all strikes.

Making is so that similar to zeal more attacks would increase animation lengths but still accent with increased attack speeds increasing the rate of which the skill can be reused.
"
The game is already 0.9.9, and you still not change this skill. It's obvious that players won't use Double Strike when they have Heavy Strike.

When you have no element damage, the calculation is below.

Take lv11 gems for example :

Heavy Strike :

150% base damage x 140% = 210% your base damage

Mana : 8

Stun and knockback the enemy

Double Strike

70% base damage x 120% x 2 = 168% your base damage(each hit is 84%)

We all know that DS hits twice.
So if an enemy has armor, the damage will be redused twice. It means the damage will be actually lower.

Mana : 11

No other effects

GGG, your math is bad.

If you don't modify this skill in the future, then I really can't realize what you are thinking.

What about other benefits than pure damage ;) If you have life gain on hit you'll gain twice and you get twice the chance to do a critical hit (so also double chance to ignite, freeze, shock - i know a critical with one big strike would be more effective, but here its a question if you want the biggest possible critical or max your chances for a critical).

So i personally can see some use for this gem even if others outdamage it (yes its maybe more a niche skill, but if all skills are equal in their damage potencial, why have different skills at all. Some skills might be usefull only for some builds, but that doesn't make them useless). Just my 2 cents :)
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
Two times of on-hit effects doesn't change anything. Their benefits can not be enough to replace the lack of damage. Besides, you will face a bunch of monsters in most of game time. If I want to do on-hit effects to them, I would rather use Cleave than Double Strike. When I am facing only with one enemy. I just think which way is the fastest to kill the enemy, so I choose Heavy Strike. The faster it dies, the less damage I will take.

It's all about efficiency. If I can kill a monster just with one hit by using Heavy Strike, why should I use Double Strike just for "the better chance of on-hit effects"?
Last edited by WillyHsu on May 11, 2012, 8:14:11 AM
I think a strength skill should do more damage than a dex skill.

So you make this the starting gem for the Shadow, which is cool because you initially only get one dagger. Also went so far as to make it a straight Dexterity gem which is even better considering the utter lack of Strength nodes available the in the "Shadow" portion of the skill tree. But not all of us playing a Shadow are going to play with a 2h or 1h/shield combo. Personally I like dual wield and am looking to try out double daggers and double claws with the relevant talents. So this means I have to dumb the starting gem and go with another gem which requires Strength to utilize both of my weapons. So are there plans to make this affect dual wielding shadows? For example you swing each weapon once instead of both at the same time like Dual Strike(which requires strength whereas Double Strike doesn't).
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36608
FAQ made through many hours of enduring global chat in Normal

Using this on my crit-seeking dagger/shield Ranger, seems to be working out pretty well. Got it from my dual-claw Shadow who received Dual Strike in return.
So when one is dual-wielding, it very much seems when you're *facing* the "camera" that you're using both weapons when striking. When you're facing *away* from the camera, it looks more reasonable that one is striking with just one hand.

I think that the tooltip needs to very explicitly say that it hits twice with *main hand only*, or to clean up the particle/movement of the player's other arm. It moves in a way that makes it look like the other hand could be doing the second "swing". I think that's where a lot of the confusion is coming from since people often look at the micro-tooltip and animation in these sort of fast-paced games.
I swear to god if you ask me for a beta key you will get a severe tongue lashing. Cheers!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info