Double Strike

I was recently attempting to use this skill for the fastest attacks possible to attempt to gain power charges with the melee crit passive. But after some time testing, it seemed that even with 20%+ base crit chance I was never able to gain more than one charge per attack. I suppose this is consistent with frenzy, which can never gain more than one charge per attack, no matter how many enemies you hit.

This got me wondering how exactly crit chance functions with this skill. If the first attack is a critical hit, will the second always be critical as well? Or is each attack in the pair checked separately?

I don't think double strike work well for what I had in mind, but it would still be nice to know.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
"
UristMcDwarfy wrote:
This got me wondering how exactly crit chance functions with this skill. If the first attack is a critical hit, will the second always be critical as well?
Yes.
Am very much enjoying this skill on my blood magic marauder (just wish I could find some green sockets linked with red sockets consarnit).

However, as mentioned it's growth rate is quite low and it seems to be extremely vulnerable to enemies with high armor as some enemies I can barely tickle with this skill. I would suggest fixing both issues by adding a new effect of this skill: have it ignore a percentage (30% of so?) of the targets armor.

Additionally I think the skill should be renamed, it sounds far too similar to Dual strike, especially what with them both being dex skills and similar in functionality. I would suggest renaming it "Slice and Dice" perhaps?
All feedback after this point is for 0.9.6.
Balance & Design
Developers can you do double strike that, higher level then you attack not single target, but like 3 targets, because 30% less damages and single target at high level skill gem its too much.

im claw user level 43 with int/dex stats and its too hard to survive with this skill against ruthless difficultie monsters

i think that skill gem 1-9 level single target
level 10-20 would hit 3 targets who are front of you, this would make claw and dagger users life little better to survive.

i love this skill, its really fast, but too much damage reduce and at high level skill gem is still single target, too much downsides at the moment.

this skill gem leveling mod would be like witches skill gems, higher level skill gem more will shooted at once.

double strike gem
level 10-20
-----------------------} target got damaged
your attacking --------} target got damaged
-----------------------} target got damaged

this is my suggestion about this skill.
Last edited by TheDudeSon on Feb 15, 2012, 11:00:20 AM
Does this skill translate into 2 separate attacks on damage calculation, or would +flat damage (i.e. elemental damage from skills/items) only be added once?

If it is tallied twice then that is cool, but, if not, I don't see this skill ever warranting its mana cost.
"
Goner wrote:
Does this skill translate into 2 separate attacks on damage calculation, or would +flat damage (i.e. elemental damage from skills/items) only be added once?

If it is tallied twice then that is cool, but, if not, I don't see this skill ever warranting its mana cost.

this skill is atm totally useless, only main hand weapon does damage, is 1 vs 1 skill only and 30% damage reduce, if it would be aoe skill like cleave then this skill could be very good, but right now i dont see this skill would help on high level chaos stage, because hp leach is not so high to hold hp full while mobs around you, dont recommend it.
with this skill your mana will be most of time empty, skill is too fast, but damage is really low.
better use 1h/shield, 2x 1handed axes or 2handed weapon and cleave all to death.
Last edited by TheDudeSon on Feb 23, 2012, 7:54:37 AM
"
Goner wrote:
It's two separate damages, each of which gets affected by any applicable bonuses.
I think this skill would work better as a "flurry" type skill where the number of attacks can increase with level. As it is there is no reason to use this skill with Cleave and Flicker strike around. Both will do more damage. One will get you AoE and the other a lot more mobility.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Goner wrote:
It's two separate damages, each of which gets affected by any applicable bonuses.

Double Strike seems to work fairly well with 'on hit' conditions.

I am currently leveling a (frenzy charges/2h weapons) marauder combining Blood Magic with Double Strike and Life Gain on Hit/Faster Attacks supports.
While its damage is single target and seems to scale less than e.g. Flicker Strike, the life gain is strong/attackspeed feels very fast.

I hope its damage doesn't drop too low at higher levels (compared to other single target attackskills).

Spoiler
"
Azhubham wrote:
O most utile of threads! Thee I raise from the dead. Once more mayest thou walk among these forums.

Also:
Unavailable

Comparing these gems with the spreadsheet's data - looks like:
  • Double Strike gains +2% increased physical damage per level.
  • Life Gain on Hit gains +1 per level.
  • Added Fire Damage gains +1% per level.

(Faster Attacks sample size is too small, could be +1% per level)

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/20284/page/4
[The Prison] Crawl a text-based dungeon - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/26299
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info