Double Strike

Feedback after this point is for 0.9.7
Balance & Design
i was crazy to get that skill gem on HC with my duelist shield and dagger but is that hard to found one or is quest rewarded ?
"When the tears of a human being finally dried up forever, it becomes a demon, a monster. And he himself dry."
I have lvl 40 duelist. Shield, axe, almost 50/50 with dext and strenght, some point in making him tanky for health and shield, rest in speed, acuracy and one hand or axe dmg.

I have this and the heavy strike as my main dmg abilities. Heavy strike is lvl 10 [38lvl required] Double strike is lvl 8 [40lvl required]So I think they are in the same lvl of progresion
Double strike does less dmg [and have weirdly put dps over it like half of the dmg it does] then heavy strike and costs more mana to use. Heavy strikes also stuns and push back.

I use it because of other support gems, but I can't see a reason to use a double strike instead of a heavy strike as a main dmg output.

Is there a trick I don't know, or do I do something wrong with this? Or are they just unbalanced?

-- Edit

If it isn't going to be stronger or someone don't explain me its benefits. It could have 15 degree cone of dmg in front of you. Weaker for non target enemies in the cone.
Last edited by Bakubylozajete on Apr 4, 2012, 9:05:07 AM
"
I use it because of other support gems, but I can't see a reason to use a double strike instead of a heavy strike as a main dmg output.

Same here. It seems to me, too, that Heavy Strike is superior to Double Strike in every way?!
Flicker is also better than DS. I see no reason to use DS at all except when it is the only damage skill option. A good level progression might change this, a reduction in the damage reduction for instance.
Currently no reason to use this skill over heavy strike. My templar uses infernal blow since the weapon elemental damage support gem is much higher than the regular melee damage gem, making infernal also far more powerful than double strike. I also do more damage with flicker strike, but that is more annoying to spam.

This ability needs to have some kind of additional functionality, currently its only benefit is that it hits twice instead of once, triggering your 'restore X life on hit' support effect twice, and while thats great and all, it just isn't enough to warrant using the skill.

Perhaps increase its crit dmg modifier and chance to crit, making it better than heavy/infernal/flicker for players who have focused on improving their critical damage, or change it from double strike to triple strike, so that the gain from multiple heal on hit effects is more pronounced.
"
I have lvl 40 duelist. Shield, axe, almost 50/50 with dext and strenght, some point in making him tanky for health and shield, rest in speed, acuracy and one hand or axe dmg.

I have this and the heavy strike as my main dmg abilities. Heavy strike is lvl 10 [38lvl required] Double strike is lvl 8 [40lvl required]So I think they are in the same lvl of progresion
Double strike does less dmg [and have weirdly put dps over it like half of the dmg it does] then heavy strike and costs more mana to use. Heavy strikes also stuns and push back.

Is there a trick I don't know, or do I do something wrong with this? Or are they just unbalanced?

-- Edit

If it isn't going to be stronger or someone don't explain me its benefits. It could have 15 degree cone of dmg in front of you. Weaker for non target enemies in the cone.

Yeah they could turn it in to an aoe. Well think you are doing 66% of your damagex2, so basically 132%, where as with heavy strike adds 50% so you are doing 150% damage. Only benefit is if you have on hit things where more attacks are better, but personally seems like they should improve this skill or add better effects so it is varied from say heavy strike.

Perhaps making additional levels of the skill increase damage by a lot more? Perhaps even changing the name to Multi Strike and increasing the amount of hits once you get high enough?

Something else that could be done would perhaps be to decrease the mana cost making it a bit more like an autoattack with a small cost and a small increase to damage.
This skill seems very weak in all classes 1 hander / 2 hander. Needs a buff to be even considered in the playing field with other attacks. Flicker and Heavy Strike greatly over power this attack if it wants to have a spot at being used at all it could use a buff.
I think converting this into support gem would be a better alternative than keeping it as a single target ability.

The single target skill pool is already very saturated, having a double strike/cast support would be an interesting option for a lot of builds.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info