The trolling and rudeness has to stop!

"
DeF46 wrote:
So this is what we're talking about? I checked just now:
Did you send that to support so they can deal with it?

"
DeF46 wrote:
I'm afraid it's going to be impossible to keep up with them.
But you can keep on dreaming that moderators somehow will be able to keep up...
Maybe you should let them give it a try before you condemn it as a futile effort. There is no indication that moderators won't be able to keep up with spammers/trolls. Consider that once the system is active, players will see that others are being muted/banned for their behavior. That will keep many of them in line.

Whole accounts can be muted, not just characters. Only the most dedicated spammers/trolls will go to the effort to make another account to continue, and those guys really aren't all that common. Even they will discontinue their efforts after getting banned a few times.

"
DeF46 wrote:
Therefore besides filters on naming characters, general chat has to be a paid purchase, and/or some restrictions have to be put in place for level 1 characters.
Have to? Not likely, actually. Global chat is a basic game feature, and GGG has shown that they don't want to force people to pay to access basic content and features.

I still haven't seen a good reason to alienate new players by keeping them from interacting with the community that can't be handled in a more efficient, fair manner. You seem to think that the only possible way to curb trolling is to keep new characters out of chat. I don't believe that's true. I also don't believe that being able to ask questions is detrimental to new players' experience. If anything, it's a boon to the community as a whole because it brings them together via interaction. It gets the new players involved in the community immediately, which may lead to them being helpful to other new players in the future.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Jul 9, 2012, 10:07:48 AM
"
gw_epyon wrote:
The responses here are ridiculous. If you don't want to type out the answer because it's going to waste time or you're busy...typing out "check out the forums" is much more involved than "yes or no". Nobody is telling you that you have to be helpful (because plenty of people answer questions) but we are telling you to not defer every single question to the forums.

Imagine day one. You start playing the game and you get stuck at a point and don't know how to progress. You ask a question and are bombarded with "go to the forums" "fucking noob" etc, and you just quit because no game is fun with a bad community. You could have spent 10 seconds of your time to increase the population and in turn the longevity of this game.

Started playing The Secret World. They have a built in web browser inside the game for looking stuff up. In fact they encourage people to look things up. There are mission types that require you to solve puzzles or even go to sites made by Funcom about certain entities in the game to figure out passwords etc. Poeple STILL do not look things up themselves even with such tools readily available to them.

It's not about not wanting to answer a question it's about wanting people to bother to get off their asses and look it up. The gaming community in general has become increasingly lazy over the years. Whereas in the days of D2 and such people were more then happy to goto the Arreat Summit and find information and now they just want instant gratification with no work involved.

I made the FAQ on the General Forums which answers, or has links to, probably 70% of the questions that come up in Normal chat. I try to point people to that thread whenever I can since there is a wealth of information there but constantly get the response "I shouldn't have to go read something on the internet to figure out something in game". Well truthfully you should in my opinion. Not everything should be spoon fed to people.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36608
FAQ made through many hours of enduring global chat in Normal

"
Dark0mens wrote:
but constantly get the response "I shouldn't have to go read something on the internet to figure out something in game". Well truthfully you should in my opinion. Not everything should be spoon fed to people.

You are so wrong.

'Everything that you need to play the game efficiently should be in game'. Its major game design principle. Not only in video games.

Take MTG (Magic The Gathering) for example (i choose this becayuse GGG have pro players in MTG as employees).

There is for example:

"
Flash - you can cast this spell any time you could cast an instant.

or:
"
Exalted - Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, that creature gets +1/+1 until and of turn

no:

"
Flash - go read forums FAQ

and:
"
Exalted - GTFO noob

Its amusing that you and some ppl thinks that explaining game rules ingame is 'spoon feeding'.

There should be comprehensive command lists made BY DEVS not players, some online manual meybe (available ingame - alt-tabbing sucks - dont mention PoE have problems with performance after atl-tabbing). Etc.., etc...

Instead this we have billions of questions and Mark_GGG responses about hidden and not intuitive game mechanics scatterred around whole forums.

you like wasting time to search for informations? I dont.
I really want to have all game info ingame not on wiki or FAQ on forums and alt-tab 10 times in one playsesion.
Last edited by Kabraxis on Jul 9, 2012, 10:30:23 AM
Thing Is: We are all humans. Humanity mixed with boredom leads to what many people calls "trolling". And you can't change said "humanity", unless GGG implements features that reduces interaction with others to minimum, leaving social as something completely "optional", like a single-player game.

I'm okay with both sides. I don't mind someone overreacting to something I did and keeps on bashing me for no reason for more than 30 minutes. At the same time I wouldn't mind ways to reduce this interaction with others and somehow promote "trolling".
What I have suggested so far:
http://tinyurl.com/bwas8ss
http://tinyurl.com/d6zmjfk
http://tinyurl.com/cpcvb3j
http://tinyurl.com/d6zmjfk
http://tinyurl.com/d7l766l
http://tinyurl.com/cho7syo http://tinyurl.com/cnywxdx http://tinyurl.com/crynzfh
I think they should just divide global chat into a trading/help/lfg section or something.
Unfortunately I read this entire thread, and the majority of you don't understand what an "internet troll" is.

An internet troll is someone who says or does things for the sole purpose of causing trouble and getting a rise out of people.

An internet troll is NOT:

-A person making harmless jokes. (A person making highly offensive jokes? Sure)
-A person that disagrees with you.

If you ignore someone because they use untargeted profanity, or because they tried to correct a mistake you were making, or because they disagree with you on something, or because they're saying ANYTHING WHATSOEVER THAT ISN'T GAMEPLAY-RELATED AND COMPLETELY SERIOUS, you're doing it wrong. You're also a negative and highly undesirable part of the community, just as much if not more so than the guy who is an actual troll by the real definition.

So in summation, yes, those who insult others for no reason just to stir things up are annoying. Guess who else is? Those who do things in the above paragraph.
Last edited by Aurinax87 on Jul 9, 2012, 4:09:37 PM
"
Aurinax87 wrote:
Unfortunately I read this entire thread, and the majority of you don't understand what an "internet troll" is.

An internet troll is someone who says or does things for the sole purpose of causing trouble and getting a rise out of people.

An internet troll is NOT:

-A person making harmless jokes. (A person making highly offensive jokes? Sure)
-A person that disagrees with you.

If you ignore someone because they use untargeted profanity, or because they tried to correct a mistake you were making, or because they disagree with you on something, or because they're saying ANYTHING WHATSOEVER THAT ISN'T GAMEPLAY-RELATED AND COMPLETELY SERIOUS, you're doing it wrong. You're also a negative and highly undesirable part of the community, just as much if not more so than the guy who is an actual troll by the real definition.

So in summation, yes, those who insult others for no reason just to stir things up are annoying. Guess who else is? Those who do things in the above paragraph.

This guy is smart.
"
Kabraxis wrote:
"
Dark0mens wrote:
but constantly get the response "I shouldn't have to go read something on the internet to figure out something in game". Well truthfully you should in my opinion. Not everything should be spoon fed to people.

You are so wrong.

'Everything that you need to play the game efficiently should be in game'. Its major game design principle. Not only in video games.

Take MTG (Magic The Gathering) for example (i choose this becayuse GGG have pro players in MTG as employees).

There is for example:

"
Flash - you can cast this spell any time you could cast an instant.

or:
"
Exalted - Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, that creature gets +1/+1 until and of turn

no:

"
Flash - go read forums FAQ

and:
"
Exalted - GTFO noob

Its amusing that you and some ppl thinks that explaining game rules ingame is 'spoon feeding'.

There should be comprehensive command lists made BY DEVS not players, some online manual meybe (available ingame - alt-tabbing sucks - dont mention PoE have problems with performance after atl-tabbing). Etc.., etc...

Instead this we have billions of questions and Mark_GGG responses about hidden and not intuitive game mechanics scatterred around whole forums.

you like wasting time to search for informations? I dont.
I really want to have all game info ingame not on wiki or FAQ on forums and alt-tab 10 times in one playsesion.

Except it's not "Game Rules' as you put it that people are having to explain over and over again. It's more common sense stuff like "How do I get to town?" "Does x zone have a WP?". Sure GGG could make an in game tutorial but it should be for more advanced stuff and not the simple things that you should be able to figure out on your own. It's not hard to figure out that there are Town Portal scrolls and WP's and that the WP map has a damn legend that explains what the symbols on the map mean. Is it too much to ask that people take a whopping 5 minutes to read through some basic material that will inevitably answer the bulk of the questions they are going to have when they first start playing the game?

"Spoon Feeding" is giving this basic information out because people are just too lazy to go look it up. I mean why should they do any work when they can just ask an obvious question and someone will answer it. I am just as guilty of this as anyone else but I have started telling people to go read the FAQ because you KNOW they are going to have more then a single question. Asking questions isn't a bad thing but not wanting to go find any information yourself is. Now if the question is more technical in nature and I know the answer and it isn't covered by the FAQ then I try my best to explain it to people. Even do this when people are confused about the wording on some of the orbs even though I think most of them are self explanatory.

PoE having issues after Alt-Tabbing isn't a common issue at least not for me or anyone I know that plays this game. I have PoE installed on 3 PC's all with varying specs and no issues with alt tabbing playing in regular, windowed, and windowed full screen modes.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36608
FAQ made through many hours of enduring global chat in Normal

"
Aurinax87 wrote:

I disagree: ignoring someone is anyone's right. However, labelling someone a troll because of the above actions and then trying to take it further is, in my opinion, wrong. If you're going to ignore someone, just do it. Maybe let them know so they'll at least be informed why you're not responding, but please, don't make a song and dance of it.

The problem is that people want to make an issue of it because right now, it's their only immediate weapon against trolls. Of course, pointing out who is a troll to the chat in general is something I've seen trolls do lately too. It's a mess, and when I see it going on, I just shake my head and respond to the other players who actually want a hand or just want to chat about whatever else.

As usual, context is key. There have been some relatively 'subtle' trolls lately who will constantly try to guide the conversation/global chat towards a well-known incendiary topic with no profanity, no insults, nothing. I believe that is still trolling, however, because it is obviously disruptive and almost inevitably causes needless conflict.

There's a lot more to 'abuse' than just yelling profanity, racist terms or targeting individuals.

The real test will come when people can make multiple accounts for free.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Kabraxis wrote:

You are so wrong.

Did you even play MTG in its early days? We were scrambling for FAQs and errata constantly. It took WoTC several revisions over a matter of YEARS to get anything even vaguely resembling clarity on the cards alone.

Welcome to Path of Exile Closed Beta. Enjoy your black lotuses and your moxes while you can. ;)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info