D4 no gud, send me poe2 thx

"
Nubatron wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Nubatron wrote:

With regards to D4, I'm a little worried for D4 players because procedurally generated dungeons are one of the few ways to liven things up a little when the loop is otherwise the same thing over and over. I'm hoping the static dungeons is just a beta level development situation and will get resolved later.

Probably so with respect the beta preview. I mean there will be 6 acts (which given the act1 scope seems BIG) and an epilogue, so that leaves quite a bit of different environments, enemies, and layouts. What we saw in the beta was likely just a snapshot regarding dungeons. Imagine if PoE mapping endgame was just cage and dungeon layouts and that was it? It would get old quick. I fully anticipate the bigger picture to be much better, with different goals in the dungeons and how they look/feel.(idk maybe not? disappointing if so, but easily correctable in live service)

I'd also include that with helltides (like D2 terror zones), world events and bosses, PVP, and seasonal content,it seems like a decent amount of loops for a launch/ early going. We will find out soon enough how that translates.

Agreed, those are loops that will help keep the game alive. Those are mostly MMO type end game content though and I feel my skin crawl when thinking about it. It's just not my cup of tea. Dungeons feels like the more ARPG like content and that's why I homed in on that a little.

Agreed, but it gives them flexibility with respect to live service. They will be able to do all kinds of things. I do get the traditionalists that are turned off by some of the MMO elements, but on the flip side that appeals to another subset of gamers that may not have been solely interested in an arpg. Personally it works fine for me.

In fairness there are other arpg elements too, like strongholds, area bosses, and caves / sewers / basements as mini areas, in addition to vendors and crafting. I was just trying not to make an actual D4 review post lol.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Mar 22, 2023, 12:22:15 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Nubatron wrote:

With regards to D4, I'm a little worried for D4 players because procedurally generated dungeons are one of the few ways to liven things up a little when the loop is otherwise the same thing over and over. I'm hoping the static dungeons is just a beta level development situation and will get resolved later.

Probably so with respect the beta preview. I mean there will be 6 acts (which given the act1 scope seems BIG) and an epilogue, so that leaves quite a bit of different environments, enemies, and layouts. What we saw in the beta was likely just a snapshot regarding dungeons. Imagine if PoE mapping endgame was just cage and dungeon layouts and that was it? It would get old quick. I fully anticipate the bigger picture to be much better, with different goals in the dungeons and how they look/feel.(idk maybe not? disappointing if so, but easily correctable in live service)

I'd also include that with helltides (like D2 terror zones), world events and bosses, PVP, and seasonal content,it seems like a decent amount of loops for a launch/ early going. We will find out soon enough how that translates.

I think there's going to be way less variety than people are hoping for - in closed beta you had access to over half the dungeons and there was still very little variety in terms of layouts, bosses, mob types, objectives etc. The zones aren't really that different apart from the environments - you have the tried & tested snowy zone, the desert zone, the hilly zone, the grassy plain zone etc. Same old bog standard stuff.

With regards to the open world, once you hit nightmare dungeons the open world just becomes something to run through on your mount ASAP from waypoint to dungeon entrance. World bosses are just boring loot pinatas with the occasional massively telegraphed ability to avoid and are impossible to fail. World events are few people gathering to face roll cannon fodder and then kill some lieutenant type mobs that spawn at the end.

It's really all very uninspiring stuff and of course this could change from beta to release but it is unlikely in such a small time frame.
Last edited by RandallPOE on Mar 22, 2023, 12:28:52 PM
Yall are wrong. Everyone knows best game is gauntlet legends. Grand daddy off all arpg.

Look at this masterpiece! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TD5Scn2XGc

Golden keys, permabuffs, monster spawners, heck it even has apples! Does POE or D4 have apples? Nope, they don't.
"
RandallPOE wrote:

I think there's going to be way less variety than people are hoping for - in closed beta you had access to over half the dungeons and there was still very little variety in terms of layouts, bosses, mob types, objectives etc. The zones aren't really that different apart from the environments - you have the tried & tested snowy zone, the desert zone, the hilly zone, the grassy plain zone etc. Same old bog standard stuff.

With regards to the open world, once you hit nightmare dungeons the open world just becomes something to run through on your mount ASAP from waypoint to dungeon entrance. World bosses are just boring loot pinatas with the occasional massively telegraphed ability to avoid and are impossible to fail. World events are few people gathering to face roll cannon fodder and then kill some lieutenant type mobs that spawn at the end.

It's really all very uninspiring stuff and of course this could change from beta to release but it is unlikely in such a small time frame.

It really is just end game content that you end up doing over and over. MMOs tend to fill the time with events/quests, travel time with aesthetically pleasing views, world bosses, PVP, and raids of some sort. If people like that kind of end game repetition, then all good.

For me, MMOs tend to feel like running/riding simulators between events and they fill time with the travel between those things. Admittedly, the first time I rode between villages/events in an MMO, I thought it was cool. Travel time quickly became background noise and the time to travel became a time sink that felt like a waste -- the initial awe feeling to the aesthetics wore off fast. World Boss events felt like forced interaction and highly repetitive elongated battles. And that's before people figure out the best way to troll other players in terms of ruining their quest/event/boss kills.

But it's all just different flavors of the same thing. Doing the same things over and over in end game. ARPGs do the same thing differently. I just align a lot more with ARPG type end game loops.
Last edited by Nubatron on Mar 22, 2023, 12:38:32 PM
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Nubatron wrote:

I mean could be. I tend to agree with Kripp that some people / content creators, are really underestimating the depth and being dismissive.

We are all speculating based on small snapshots. We dont even know what build version the beta represents. All in all I wasn't disappointed with the beta in the least, so likely won't be disappointed with the version that gets released. Maybe some will be underwhelmed, while others will be satisfied, and more still with some of the more MMO elements that are uncommon with arpgs.

In general this isn't make or break at launch for me anyways. I'm interested in the live service, seasons, and whatever content they have planned moving forward.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Mar 22, 2023, 1:30:04 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

I mean could be. I tend to agree with Kripp that some people / content creators, are really underestimating the depth and being dismissive.

We are all speculating based on small snapshots. We dont even know what build version the beta represents. All in all I wasn't disappointed with the beta in the least, so likely won't be disappointed with the version that gets released. Maybe some will be underwhelmed, while others will be satisfied, and more still with some of the more MMO elements that are uncommon with arpgs.

In general this isn't make or break at launch for me anyways. I'm interested in the live service, seasons, and whatever content they have planned moving forward.

I'd rather shit on my hands and clap than watch a video where someone gives their opinion on other people's opinions of a video game so I'll have to take your word for that. I can only judge based on my experiences to date & I think what I have seen so far will be representative of the launch product minus glaring things like missing textures, placeholder text, computer generated voice overs etc.

I get what you say about the future content though but if the foundations are weak it makes it far more difficult to build on that.
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

I'd rather shit on my hands and clap than watch a video where someone gives their opinion on other people's opinions of a video game so I'll have to take your word for that. I can only judge based on my experiences to date & I think what I have seen so far will be representative of the launch product minus glaring things like missing textures, placeholder text, computer generated voice overs etc.

I get what you say about the future content though but if the foundations are weak it makes it far more difficult to build on that.

I don't know exactly how fair that is regarding others opinions. Some people have a lot of time and experience in the genre, and often the game itself.

Hell you have commented on the D4 beta versions you have played and your thoughts. As much as I disagree with you on things, I'm not sure saying anything you wrote amounted to shit clapping would be an appropriate response lol.
- Abraham Lincoln
"
RandallPOE wrote:
in closed beta you had access to over half the dungeons and there was still very little variety in terms of layouts, bosses, mob types, objectives etc.

You had access to 22 dungeons. There is over 150 slated for the entire game at launch, maybe more as the post that came from was from March of 2022.
"
tstryke wrote:
"
RandallPOE wrote:
in closed beta you had access to over half the dungeons and there was still very little variety in terms of layouts, bosses, mob types, objectives etc.

You had access to 22 dungeons. There is over 150 slated for the entire game at launch, maybe more as the post that came from was from March of 2022.

22 was the amount available in open beta I think?
For the d4 trolls.

Ppl gonna play it for 1-2 months and then its ded.

I watched few videos about d4 beta and Kripparian hits the nail as usual.

Bad mechanics trash tldr.

Hard pass ,when poe is overall better game and its free.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info