Streamers are all gushing over D4 - what am I missing? It seems extremely shallow compared to POE

Most things you don't see the whole of are going to seem shallow.

I'm hopeful the release of a competitor will push PoE to make substantial improvements prior to the release of 2.0; the last few leagues have been dismal, and the core game has become stagnant without meaningful change.

Between D4 and Last Epoch, Wraeclast needs to evolve to keep much of its playerbase.
Here lies a toppled god;
his fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal -
a narrow and a tall one.
- F.H.
"
Immermnemion wrote:
Most things you don't see the whole of are going to seem shallow.

I'm hopeful the release of a competitor will push PoE to make substantial improvements prior to the release of 2.0; the last few leagues have been dismal, and the core game has become stagnant without meaningful change.

Between D4 and Last Epoch, Wraeclast needs to evolve to keep much of its playerbase.

Evolve? It evolves every fucking patch it adds a new system

System A
B
C
D
E
and so on and goes on and on do you know why most players don't like that stuff because they don't wanna think they don't wanna use there brain; They wanna turn it off and just play the game while a silver platter is being handed to you with everything in the platter just like that aka that's D3 right now. Hell most people in this thread don't even know to build there char probably die and blame it on GGG when there defenses aren't very good or there damage is shit because they DON'T WANT TOO learn which is basically number in thin air 85% of the playerbase probably.

PoE will have a stable player base of it's usual crowd a niche crowd
Diablo will have it's same base if you liked 3 then you probably like 4.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Mar 19, 2023, 10:11:16 PM
Played a barb till 25. Gear wise I managed quite nicely so this made gameplay enjoyable. Some pros and cons from my perspective

Pros
- Combat is thoughtful: It's not life-and-death like Dark Souls combat but you can't simply spam your primary skill FTW. Cooldowns actually mean something in this game and when specced right they synergize nicely
- Legendary Powers: Being able to extract this makes up for the otherwise bland itemization
- Pacing: Abit slow but should improve in the end-game.
- Visuals: You can actually see what is going on in combat (so far...)
- Boss fights: Quite engaging. Actually need to re-spec for some battles to focus on toughness and single target

Cons
- Dungeon Design: Initially it felt really cool - until you realise you have run the same tileset (6-8 different ones) multiple times
- Itemisation: So far it has been very blend. You can "reroll/enchant" one affix on an item multiple times on a scaling cost which makes it account bound.
- Crafting: Have not seen anything remotely close to POE's depth of crafting which I rather enjoy
- Skill Tree: Drawn by a 5 year old kid. Abit of a disappointment here as I was expecting an actual "Tree" similar in design in one of the earlier iterations. Now it looks like a fancier D2 tree

Overall I must say I enjoyed myself. The combat in Diablo games overall feels more satisfying from a look and feel perspective. Each hit has "weight" to it and it's not just a one button spam fest. There are areas for improvement but for a Beta it was a entertaining first cut.
"
DAKKONx wrote:
Played a barb till 25. Gear wise I managed quite nicely so this made gameplay enjoyable. Some pros and cons from my perspective

Pros
- Combat is thoughtful: It's not life-and-death like Dark Souls combat but you can't simply spam your primary skill FTW. Cooldowns actually mean something in this game and when specced right they synergize nicely
- Legendary Powers: Being able to extract this makes up for the otherwise bland itemization
- Boss fights: Quite engaging. Actually need to re-spec for some battles to focus on toughness and single target

Cons
- Dungeon Design: Initially it felt really cool - until you realise you have run the same tileset (6-8 different ones) multiple times
- Itemisation: So far it has been very blend. You can "reroll/enchant" one affix on an item multiple times on a scaling cost which makes it account bound.
- Crafting: Have not seen anything remotely close to POE's depth of crafting which I rather enjoy
- Skill Tree: Drawn by a 5 year old kid. Abit of a disappointment here as I was expecting an actual "Tree" similar in design in one of the earlier iterations. Now it looks like a fancier D2 tree

Overall I must say I enjoyed myself. The combat in Diablo games overall feels more satisfying from a look and feel perspective. Each hit has "weight" to it and it's not just a one button spam fest. There are areas for improvement but for a Beta it was a entertaining first cut.

Dungeon/cellar design reminds me of Witcher 3. Where programmers dont have time/assets/resources to craft each dungeon or even write a program that would generate pseudo-random tilesets, so they copy/paste every random dungeon to be exactly the same. I did maybe 15, and called it quits as they pose no importance whatsoever past unlocking the aspects. Most dungeons that unlock aspects usually have a side quest associated with it too.
The white knighting is strong with this thread.

"yoda pic"

its funny how some people cant fathom how some other people can have fun in other game..
"
DAKKONx wrote:

Pros

Cons

Same tileset the poe experience of same maps doing the same tileset again and again. Cant avoid this as any game you run out of additional design time.

poe crafting means 15 hours farming daily to craft very expensive cost stuff meaning poe is crafting simulator more than an arpg.

People underestimate that some people actually have a life outside games so progress in a diablo 4 games make sense vs none in poe2 and not needing a spreadsheet to make a build function.
-
Last edited by BluValk on Dec 8, 2023, 7:32:13 AM
Played until lvl 25 with a Rogue and unlocked a lot of stuff in the openworld.
Feedback of skills in combat and sound are very good, but that’s it so far.
A lot of busy work mmo stuff, some stuff can be ok but other stuff is just running around in a big openworld void.

Dungeons are my biggest issue, just boring. WTF and I had been looking forward to grind them. But dungeons are so bad, after playing a dungeon once, the last thing you want to do, is playing it again. Never had this befor in any arpg game.

I am a big Necro fanboy since D2 and I will check out the Necro next week. That’s it.

I still hope for the best when it comes to the release of D4, but at the moment I am underwhelmed to be honest.
"
odds wrote:
A lot of busy work mmo stuff, some stuff can be ok but other stuff is just running around in a big openworld void.

Dungeons are my biggest issue, just boring. WTF and I had been looking forward to grind them. But dungeons are so bad, after playing a dungeon once, the last thing you want to do, is playing it again. Never had this befor in any arpg game.

I am a big Necro fanboy since D2 and I will check out the Necro next week. That’s it.

I still hope for the best when it comes to the release of D4, but at the moment I am underwhelmed to be honest.

Well its lvl 25 act 1 stuff. I dunno why you guys are grinding early game dungeons in a limited beta anyways. Its not even remotely endgame. Your literally just grinding Tidal Island over and over.

I dont get it. Its hard for me to understand what you guys expect doing that. Your getting a 4th or 5th of the game, quite possibly the worst part of it(early game Arpg), and then your grinding it ad nauseum saying its boring.

Back when PoE only had 2 acts, running from one loading screen to the next wasnt exactly riveting gameplay either. When I started playing POE thats exactly what it was.
Last edited by Destructodave on Mar 20, 2023, 7:17:04 AM
"
Destructodave wrote:
"
odds wrote:

Well its lvl 25 act 1 stuff. I dunno why you guys are grinding early game dungeons in a limited beta anyways. Its not even remotely endgame. Your literally just grinding Tidal Island over and over.

I dont get it. Its hard for me to understand what you guys expect doing that. Your getting a 4th or 5th of the game, quite possibly the worst part of it(early game Arpg), and then your grinding it ad nauseum saying its boring.

Back when PoE only had 2 acts, running from one loading screen to the next wasnt exactly riveting gameplay either. When I started playing POE thats exactly what it was.

Thats why there is still hope when the game releases. 😇
Last edited by odds on Mar 20, 2023, 7:23:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info