Streamers are all gushing over D4 - what am I missing? It seems extremely shallow compared to POE

I know it's only L25 cap, but we know everything is just going to be copy paste repeat with higher numbers as per blizzards style.

I've been looking at opinions of streamers and the majority of POE streamers seem to be loving it with very few criticisms.

It definitely did not live up to my expectations, I am not a fan of the MMO open world game and it feels way too theme park and like a safe and predictable playthrough that won't really vary from one run to the next. No matter how good an item drops, in a couple levels any yellow will outshine it etc. Monster scaling, the very long invuln phases for everything... the list goes on.

Loot is everything in an ARPG and D4 fails that badly. POE reigns supreme and i'm glad tbh.

Interested in others opinions on the game though. Are there sponsorship deals at play etc? I just can't get over how so few people are picking up that it plays very similarly to D3 with copy pasted assets and animations, fonts, etc.
Last edited by Nevzat on Mar 18, 2023, 7:53:15 PM
Last bumped on Apr 5, 2023, 2:45:56 PM
"
Nevzat wrote:

Interested in others opinions on the game though. Are there sponsorship deals at play etc? I just can't get over how so few people are picking up that it plays very similarly to D3 with copy pasted assets and animations, fonts, etc.

Some streamer have for sure some sort of deal with blizzard to run a sponsored stream. Und just how most streams work these days.

I personally feel like D4 went far out of the way to be even considered as "arpg"
It looks nice and all but it doesn't matter the fact that the gameplay/content is more important than everything else. But I guess we see how the game performs on the long run.

The price is less appealing to me cause it's just overprice for what they offer imo.
Not to mention battle pass being a thing, probably full paid content dlc in time ect ect. But in the end it's going to end up like D3 again, cause blizzard is pretty know to just use their games as cash grab these days without the interest to deliver good content and stuff. The last two wow expansion are quite a good example for that, same as the later existence of D3, same as DI.
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
Last edited by Pashid on Mar 18, 2023, 8:08:59 PM
It's new. It's flashy. It seems to have a nice feel to it. Combat, animations and sound seem on point. But in danger of repeating myself here: It's a NEW game in the genre they love, and it has a AAA budget. And... It's not PoE.

We all knew this was going to happen. The pretty new girl is ALWAYS exciting and interesting. It all comes down to how exciting and interesting she is when she's no longer new and people really gets to know her quirks and bad habits.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Nevzat wrote:
we know everything is just going to be copy paste repeat with higher numbers as per blizzards style

"
Nevzat wrote:
It definitely did not live up to my expectations

Your expectations appear somewhat contradictory.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
That's the thing. It isn't PoE. That's the selling point. You don't need spreadsheets, PoB, a crafting website, etc..

I think sometimes dedicated PoE folks just don't really understand how much this game is player hostile, for all it's strong points. The fact that you can just chill and play the game is a massive selling point. It's not for everyone, but likely, more appealing overall than PoE to the average gamer. Thats a huge market.

That said D4 the beta wasn't all sugar and rainbows. The story was great so far, I'm sure the campaign will be a banger. We don't know anything about endgame really. The skill tree, for the sample we saw, was pretty simple. (many under NDA are saying late game WAY better for builds/skilling)

The itemization was interesting. A good mix of rares / legendary item hunting and mixing / matching. The crafting was super easy to understand, and was limited due to material cost. It's hard to know if the legendary drop rate was increased for the beta, because it did seem like alot. I think they wanted to get some data both on rate, and progression, for them.

All in All, for a Beta, this was a good showing. Is it perfect? Nah.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Mar 18, 2023, 10:34:52 PM
Agreed. Think people are optimistic.

Honestly, most looks awesome. Cinematics, voice acting, animations, story.
And it matters to me.

It just lacks build options i think. And i fear it will be very repetitive and linear, which will get me bored fast. And it is the only reason i am waiting. I want to know if there are build diversity.

I hope that GGG is watching D4 (which they most likely do) and look at what diablo 4 do very well.
Last edited by Anubis2108 on Mar 18, 2023, 8:13:35 PM
hoho some people are jus gullible.
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-
Aside from the dismal but typical issues with login queues on day one of the beta I found D4 to be mildly interesting. The graphics are great as are the animations however who watches those more than once?

The skill tree looks like a kid drew it and the game has the feel of a high quality MMORPG. I prefer an overlay map and did not see that as an option (at least not in beta).

Overall, I found the game enjoyable but shallow. The skills like fireball and Frozen orb seemed understated. I like the bursts in D2. While some of the skills mimic D2 and the content seems darker than D3 calling it D4 is really a joke. There is almost nothing in common with it.

As a new stand alone game I'd give it a B+. As a D2 successor I'd give it a D-.
In regards to positive streamer reviews I can just say the ones I watched weren't that happy with it. Shallow itemization and a very antique-feeling UI, long, repetetive dialogues and too much MmO-Influences were the biggest points of negative feedback I've witnessed. Not sure where u saw all that "gushing over"
play the first 20 levels of POE ONLY and tell me the deep gameplay it has.

quit being a fanboy bot.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info