I tried the D4 Beta. I think PoE is going to be just fine.

"
imanubcake wrote:
What depth? green arrow go up

That's only for armor on gear, and base dps on weapons. You will absolutely have to pay attention to affixes, plus skills, modifiers and more to make decisions later on.

Sure maybe at levels 1-15 "green is good", but by the time you unlocked some skills and character passives / techniques, that wasn't the case. The affix ranges increase by item power, so often it will appear the higher armor item is "better", but if that's all you look for when glancing at the loot, you will miss out on superior gear all the time.

I know it's a meme, but for anyone that played this past weekend, you know better on average that it wasn't the case.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Yeah, the depth of Diablo 4 - even without the paragon boards - seems MUCH better/deeper than Diablo 3.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
imanubcake wrote:

gren arrow go brrrrrrrrrrr

and here is me with +5 to hydra spell from items 1 shotting everything around xD
Last edited by Zebedin on Mar 21, 2023, 11:55:09 AM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
imanubcake wrote:

That's only for armor on gear, and base dps on weapons. You will absolutely have to pay attention to affixes, plus skills, modifiers and more to make decisions later on.

Sure maybe at levels 1-15 "green is good", but by the time you unlocked some skills and character passives / techniques, that wasn't the case. The affix ranges increase by item power, so often it will appear the higher armor item is "better", but if that's all you look for when glancing at the loot, you will miss out on superior gear all the time.

I know it's a meme, but for anyone that played this past weekend, you know better on average that it wasn't the case.

item power effectively determines the bracket tier of affixes as well as damage on weapons and armor on items, so five-six levels later the specific gear you chose starts to actively drag down your character power, ie missing 300 armor on two pieces of gear really starts affecting your DR

on other hand, there is some ridiculous item power items that can be equipped on alts that makes you near immortal because armor values are so high for your current level
Last edited by grepman on Mar 21, 2023, 4:14:44 PM
"
grepman wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
imanubcake wrote:

item power effectively determines the bracket tier of affixes as well as damage on weapons and armor on items, so five-six levels later the specific gear you chose starts to actively drag down your character power, ie missing 300 armor on two pieces of gear really starts affecting your DR

on other hand, there is some ridiculous item power items that can be equipped on alts that makes you near immortal because armor values are so high for your current level

Yes, but the actual point was that for example, at item power 340 when +2 skills started to roll on helmets, it was far better than any of the 400+ item level base helms that would drop from lvl 30-35 mobs even though that armor was higher. The green arrow meme wasn't true at all pretty early on tbh.

I suppose you could at that point start making offensive / defensive decisions, which actually, that's a great situation to be in build flexibility wise. Being able to push to lvl 7, 8, 9 on your skills by gear farming felt good to me.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
The loot hunt longevity is going to be super short. If items at endgame is what i suspect it is.

Item power scales with your level and it will guarantee the highest affix bracket. That is the equivalent of lvl 90+ chars in PoE always drops full T1-T0 affixes on every item.

If item power is RNG even at high level than its a bit different.
Man, some good posts on that last page. Hercules, phrazz. Two quote worthy additions.

We say there is room in the world for both games but I think the reason we feel the need to say that is because at least one of the games would rather that not be the case. PoE is as deep a game as I have ever encountered and DIV is wide in every way that PoE is not. And both depth and width are bids for your exclusive time and attention.

I cannot take an excess of either, which is why I play neither PoE nor an MMO. DIV flirts dangerously close to the latter for me at times but so far it hasn't crossed the line. You, as a gamer, have your own tastes and thresholds -- arguably, as an Exile you may lean more towards depth than width but that doesn't mean you can't also enjoy a game that eschews deep gameplay in favour of more visceral pursuits.

This isn't a simple why not both argument because you do have to choose which and what to play in any given moment. And as noted, neither game wants that to be any easy choice. It is an easy choice if you have already figured out why you like one or the other -- then it is likely no choice at all. People posting here who are part of that group and feel the need to tell others that are just wasting everyone's time.

Nothing can or will replace PoE *even for those of us who have quit it*. And that is probably one of the game's greatest achievements. It is non-fungible as an experience. A smart Exile knows this and seeks no replacement for it, only new experiences in its wake. Or concurrently. Were I still playing, I would I think use DIV as mental downtime, much as I did other arpgs and even mmos for the past decade give or take. In that capacity, DIV might find some acceptable place in an Exile's routine.

But I never got so into PoE that it became my only game so I can only imagine how unnecessary DIV must look from that perspective -- an unhealthy perspective I think but who the fuck am I to judge that?

One thing I do think PoE will embrace going forward as a result of DIV (and d3 to a lesser extent) is a more cinematic approach -- i recall seeing scenes from the 2019 demo of PoE 4.0 that seemed to give more life to the npcs and their role as quest givers and story drivers. I don't think GGG have anywhere near the resources to do it at the triple A level of DIV but there is clear room for improvement over the static nature of the storytelling in the existing game. If PoE needs to rise to meet Diablo in any way that doesn't compromise its image as ARPG-for-Galaxybrains, I think that would be it.

DIV on the other hand seems like it would be best served taking as little from PoE as possible. I was amazed how much feedback I saw saying its leaning towards PoE's "passive bloat" was a bad choice. Here I was thinking Diablo players wanted "more depth" -- but not like that, I guess. :)

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 21, 2023, 10:20:00 PM
"
Man, some good posts on that last page. Hercules, phrazz. Two quote worthy additions.

We say there is room in the world for both games but I think the reason we feel the need to say that is because at least one of the games would rather that not be the case. PoE is as deep a game as I have ever encountered and DIV is wide in every way that PoE is not. And both depth and width are bids for your exclusive time and attention.

I cannot take an excess of either, which is why I play neither PoE nor an MMO. DIV flirts dangerously close to the latter for me at times but so far it hasn't crossed the line. You, as a gamer, have your own tastes and thresholds -- arguably, as an Exile you may lean more towards depth than width but that doesn't mean you can't also enjoy a game that eschews deep gameplay in favour of more visceral pursuits.

This isn't a simple why not both argument because you do have to choose which and what to play in any given moment. And as noted, neither game wants that to be any easy choice. It is an easy choice if you have already figured out why you like one or the other -- then it is likely no choice at all. People posting here who are part of that group and feel the need to tell others that are just wasting everyone's time.

Nothing can or will replace PoE *even for those of us who have quit it*. And that is probably one of the game's greatest achievements. It is non-fungible as an experience. A smart Exile knows this and seeks no replacement for it, only new experiences in its wake. Or concurrently. Were I still playing, I would I think use DIV as mental downtime, much as I did other arpgs and even mmos for the past decade give or take. In that capacity, DIV might find some acceptable place in an Exile's routine.

But I never got so into PoE that it became my only game so I can only imagine how unnecessary DIV must look from that perspective -- an unhealthy perspective I think but who the fuck am I to judge that?

One thing I do think PoE will embrace going forward as a result of DIV (and d3 to a lesser extent) is a more cinematic approach -- i recall seeing scenes from the 2019 demo of PoE 4.0 that seemed to give more life to the npcs and their role as quest givers and story drivers. I don't think GGG have anywhere near the resources to do it at the triple A level of DIV but there is clear room for improvement over the static nature of the storytelling in the existing game. If PoE needs to rise to meet Diablo in any way that doesn't compromise its image as ARPG-for-Galaxybrains, I think that would be it.

DIV on the other hand seems like it would be best served taking as little from PoE as possible. I was amazed how much feedback I saw saying its leaning towards PoE's "passive bloat" was a bad choice. Here I was thinking Diablo players wanted "more depth" -- but not like that, I guess. :)

I dont get this weird jab at poe players
There is room in the world for all the games
As long as some players are having fun, a game generally is worth it

Af course, a popular dumbed-down game can cause unintended consequences in game design. Causing things like creative, tight level design to be obsolete in favor of copy/paste of "open world" simply because it's the craze. Or the battle royale craze. And so on. So then fans of niche games probably wouldn't want their games to be destroyed by what's hot. Even Chris Wilson spoke of not hopping on any trend that's hot...although he said this after they decided to do PoE Mobile...

My expectations for d4 were simple after what d3 was. Give me a good diablo feel, good combat, good looking sharp skills and non-braindead depth of some customization.

Diablo feel- big check, excellent work. Loved the gory stuff
Good combat - not really, not so tight. maybe because speed is slow, but combat feels janky for a AAA title
skills - mixed bag, a lot of rogue and barb skills look and feel underwhelming
customization - very little to play with so far and unless the datamined paragon boards/uniques are improved, things might get stale fast
"
KZA wrote:
Those are the pros. Now the cons:

One huge issue is that just like in D3, monsters scale with your level. It completely screws any sense of progression. Traveling through starting zones is just as deadly as far away dungeons, no matter my level. It also kills the joy of leveling up, because (without gear upgrades) you actually get weaker.

I totally get, that D4 barely stands a chance against PoE and despite that PoE is hugely flawed on its own, but what you write seems alot more like how PoE felt and feels to me. I sometimes 6-link zombies with +implicits and glasscannon early on through the acts and i seem to be doing less damage than what i saw asmon do with life-based 4-link on his stream. In fact seeing him succeed with such a cheap setup is what got me back into PoE again.

Honestly all i really care is that people stop writing garbage software for modern era hardware i couldn't even care less what "game" results out of their work.

But really your description matches PoE alot more. If you actually go in blind and aren't an expert in 4 corners(who is still failing and scratching his head like a monkey) and blindy saying "PoE rules 4head"
I didn't like that I can't overlay big map on my screen like in PoE. Also left click is just bad - you can't have force move/interact/pick-up all at once, like you can in PoE.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info