I tried the D4 Beta. I think PoE is going to be just fine.

"
KZA wrote:

Build choice (at least early on) is an illusion. I can make my tele-kick have a 3 second faster cooldown (normally 9 seconds) or i can give it a 1.5 second stun. Both don't make much of a difference, and those are the only two options. Compare that with the many support gems of path of exile, of which you can choose 5 (or more when you get into crafting insane endgame gear). Maybe this expands in the endgame, but the above is all I saw in beta

Yes, all those different support gems and pretty much the only ones that ever see use are plain damage buffs, great choice and variety there. Besides you are comparing what? The first act? With POEs endgame builds. How about comparing act 1 POE characters?

Build choice being an illusion is basically POEs prime trait at this point. Who knows if D4 actually ends up being better but it's impossible for them to be worse.
Last edited by Baharoth15 on Mar 18, 2023, 8:26:43 AM
Imagine playing a beta, to level 25, in a live service arpg, and making any conclusion as to what it will mean in 3 months, 6 months, or a year.

Could you really take any conclusions of PoE seriously if the reviewer played through act1 a bit into act 2? People seem to forget how bad PoE was coming out of it's beta 10 years ago.

But your overall thread title is correct. PoE will be fine. It will have far less players compared to now and to D4 in total, but it won't die. They have also given D4 a head start before PoE 4.0 is released. We probably won't see that until 1st quarter of 2024, so that gives D4 a significant amount of time to tweak, polish, and add.

Both games will be ok. Each catering to a different audience. But taking much away from 3 characters, maxing out at 25, with a small glimpse into a fraction of the game, does not a review make.

And for the record. PoE coming out of it's beta in 2013 was ROUGH. You couldn't even use most of the movement skill or cyclone because of desync. The collisions were all fucked up, the combat was clunky (and still is to a degree). The game stability and optimization were significantly worse. There we so many qol and mechanics that had not been implemented yet. To try and compare the two games is night and day. D4 is in far better shape from a starting point perspective.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Mar 18, 2023, 9:16:34 AM
So you concluded this by playing 1 day of the first starting zone with limited classes and interaction to the game...

Yup , poe will be fine...it has the finest there to reply "poggers" on every announcement.
Never invite Vorana, Last To Fall at a beer party.
Thanks OP, although that was kinda what i expected from the game just looking at a the game-play. It's not really an ARPG any more (D3 was already on the fence of being an ARPG), mechanics are too simplistic, mmo-lite features.. meh no thanks.

Ofc Graphics and artwork Blizz always do a great job, but that doesn't make fun engaging game.
Last edited by AmpegV4 on Mar 18, 2023, 9:44:41 AM
D4 still gonna make bank just on game sales alone. I'll probably dabble in a few months once they work out the kinks.
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-
Diablo 1 & 2, the work the original Blizz North team did guarantee's this franchise will sell well for many many iterations off the brand alone.

Diablo:
- Taking what was originally planned as polished nethack clone and going real-time.
- Going with religious / real-world symbolism (you wouldn't do that in 2020, now it's gotta be nephalim / some made up stuff as someone will be offended).
- Matt Uelman iconic music arguably one the greatest composers of video games.
- Impeccable art design, gothic style the poems, the side quests just great world building.

A team with original idea's and lots of creativity. Then with the sequel just expanding on everything that was great about the first game and making it bigger and better.

---
Then Nu-Diablo
- Remove stats, remove skill choices, smart loot, 1 number itemization to focus on.
- Embedded trade system that made item drops boring.
- health globes and unique mechanic per class made it more like a Guantlet clone / action orientated.
- removal of heavy procedural generation, D4 has none apparently.
- Recycle leoric, butcher, adria, izual -> did no-one have any ideas after 12 years?! oh yeah killing off Cain.

D4.. all the same classes.. the same spells from D2, lost ark and 50 other Korean MMO features zzZZZZ

---
Pretty excited for POE2. Actiblizz for the first time will be contending with a game I think will exceed their production quality. Coupled with deeper mechanics and 12+ years of "balancing". If Tencent/GGG market this thing right they could really solidify themselves as king of ARPG.

I reckon the ages old POE2 reveal already looks on par or better than D4.
Last edited by AmpegV4 on Mar 18, 2023, 10:11:48 AM
i havent played it just watched a bit on stream and D4 already looks much better than D3..more dark and doesnt have that cartoonish look. other than that its early to tell
Last edited by Lyutsifer665 on Mar 18, 2023, 10:05:13 AM
Well, I played like 7-8 hours into beta, I'd say it plays pretty well. If you compare Act 1 from D4 and Act 1 from PoE - Acts from D4 feels way better compared to PoE's abomination of torment which we run at the start of every league.

But in the end everything comes to the endgame, and we don't have clear information here. Also we have no idea how good seasons of D4 will be.

I hope that D4 turns out to be a very good game. Competition is always good for a consumer. I dont mind playing d4 AND poe if their league starts dont overlap.
3.13 Was the best league ever!
3.18 Rest in peace my beloved recombinators, I'm gonna miss you...
Last edited by Anngrat on Mar 18, 2023, 10:25:01 AM
"
Anngrat wrote:
Well, I played like 7-8 hours into beta, I'd say it plays pretty well. If you compare Act 1 from D4 and Act 1 from PoE - Acts from D4 feels way better compared to PoE's abomination of torment which we run at the start of every league.

But in the end everything comes to the endgame, and we don't have clear information here. Also we have no idea how good seasons of D4 will be.

I hope that D4 turns out to be a very good game. Competition is always good for a consumer. I dont mind playing d4 AND poe if their league starts dont overlap.

It's very unlikely they would start the league/season at the same time. Neither benefit from that unless one thinks it can overwhelm and kill the other. POE will never take out the Diablo franchise. It has a heavy hold of the casual market. I don't think Diablo cantake out POE either, especially after seeing the itemization and "skill tree". They just appeal to different markets (which is good!).

It's mutually beneficial to stagger league/season starts to increase involvement for both sides during the league/season start to maximize revenue.
Last edited by Nubatron on Mar 18, 2023, 10:53:04 AM
"
AmpegV4 wrote:
Thanks OP, although that was kinda what i expected from the game just looking at a the game-play. It's not really an ARPG any more (D3 was already on the fence of being an ARPG), mechanics are too simplistic, mmo-lite features.. meh no thanks.

Ofc Graphics and artwork Blizz always do a great job, but that doesn't make fun engaging game.

Neither you or the OP have seen the ''game'' yet. Depth will be added with Paragon Boards, glyphs and item interaction later on, that we do know.

Will D4 have Path of Exile levels of complexity? No and we all knew that as well, neither is that a critera for wether the game is good or bad.

In fact PoE is too complex and convulated for its own good as of right now ( something i hope will improve in PoE2) and that's more concerning for player retention than D4 being too simplistic.

As for MMO- features we will see, things could change and we do not have the full picture yet. Endgame wise D4 have a lot of potential in theory( from the information available)

Last edited by wierdzodi on Mar 18, 2023, 10:50:02 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info