I tried the D4 Beta. I think PoE is going to be just fine.

"

And when I think of it that way, I delight in how snobbish Exiles come across. Of course PoE has nothing to fear from DIV --

I guess that will really depend on how much crossover there really is between Exiles and the Denizens of Sanctuary.

I personally think that the amount of average / casual players in PoE that have just had to grin and bear it for a number of years now, will at least drift away for a bit to D4. We don't really know how the end game loops and seasons will pan out with Diablo, but if it's good, that's a very real financial impact for GGG.

I dont mean to say they will go out of business, but if revenue drops more than 25%, quarter after quarter, eventually something has to give operationally. And that would be tough on CW and team.

So in that sense, I'm sure there is some anxiety at HQ. And if the D4 live service turns out to be up to snuff, I'd think GGG would need to be fully aware of their league launches and dates. There is nothing PoE could do to D4 in the big picture (other than help it), while I'm not entirely certain the reverse is true. Unless of course Tencent doesn't give a shit, and is willing to stomach millions in losses.

D4 beta was good by the way. Console version (PS5) was smooth and comfortable. Some UI curiosities, but other than that should be awesome for my group in June. (I also have the PC version which was ok too, but had more performance and server issues in comparison). The character progression link and crossover play was extremely nice. You could pick up where you left off with either platform. Having the freedom to couch or not is certainly worth a few extra bucks to me.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Honestly, most looks awesome. Cinematics, voice acting, animations, story.
And it matters to me.

It just lacks build options i think. And i fear it will be very repetitive and linear, which will get me bored fast. And it is the only reason i am waiting. I want to know if there are build diversity.

I hope that GGG is watching D4 (which they most likely do) and look at what diablo 4 do very well.

To be honest. I really badly wanted D4 to have all i wanted. Would be nice as a poe break.
I leveled a lvl25 barb and a lvl25 rogue in D4 beta ; on both, i maxed my generator and my main offensive skill and set a few points in passive and ... its over. No chance to test interesting skills in the beta, so of course it feels boring but we have to keep it in mind before juging it. Skill tree is by far better than D2 and parangon tree looks cool too. But we won't see it in the beta. Theorycrafting will of course be poor compared to POE but not inexistant.

Quests are always the same and monsters adjusted to your level is bad : for sure but don't forget that we are forced to make the campaign only 1 time ; even in seasons, D4 will allow you to start at max level if you complete campaign 1 time ; not sure it's a good idea but these 2 problems ( quests and monsters level) are not significant.

D4 endgame is going to be the same as D3 and that's the true problem of D4. And that's why i will play POE much much more than D4.

For me, D4 will probaly be a little cool game i will play 1 or 2 weeks between each POE league, and nothing more. And its fine for me.
"
KZA wrote:
The more I played D4, the more its flaws became apparent. But first, the pros:

Graphics are pretty.

The animations, sound effects and feel of combat are nice.

You can see what's going on during the fights.

The pace of combat makes it feel tactical.

No instant logout means you do or die, but the damage is less spikey, letting you react. And if you logout, it puts you back where you were when you log back in (with a couple exceptions of me finding myself in town, but i don't know why).

In fact, the less-spikey damage allowed for big CC effects that bring excitement/terror without instantly meaning death. Example, the big bad boss picked up my character and strangled it for like 3 whole seconds while monsters whaled on me. My health went down to about half (you can't drink potions while cc'd) and my heart was pounding. In PoE, if you get stunned/frozen for more than a half a second, you're basically dead.

Those are the pros. Now the cons:

One huge issue is that just like in D3, monsters scale with your level. It completely screws any sense of progression. Traveling through starting zones is just as deadly as far away dungeons, no matter my level. It also kills the joy of leveling up, because (without gear upgrades) you actually get weaker.

Dungeons all have the same formula: Kill something on the left side, kill something on the right side, now that gives you the key to open the path in the middle to fight the boss. Gets repetitive fast.

Lots of backtracking in the layouts. Last Epoch fixes this with monsters respawning after a short time so theres always stuff to kill. PoE fixes this (with a few exceptions, looking at you Museum map) with level design negating the need for backtracking.

The dialogue/narrative was fine at first, but it got lame and boring fast because it's the same formula over and over. I get it, demons are killing everyone and they're evil and must be stopped.

Lots of waiting around for NPCs to say their lines before the monsters spawn.

Shallow crafting/salvage system. Like d3, you just pick up EVERYTHING and break it down. I prefer Last Epoch's salvage system were you can break down only a limited amount of items (due to cost), and so you pick and choose which items are best to break down based on what affixes they have that you want. Meaningful. PoE too needs help in this department because loot just stays on the floor 99.9% of the time.

Shallow itemization. It's a step up from D3's "green = equip, red = salvage" complexity, but not by a lot. At least in the beta, the affixes on items are all meaningless. 2% fire resist? Who cares. Nothing is noticable except the DPS on weapons and armor on equipment. Maybe the endgame will change that?

Build choice (at least early on) is an illusion. I can make my tele-kick have a 3 second faster cooldown (normally 9 seconds) or i can give it a 1.5 second stun. Both don't make much of a difference, and those are the only two options. Compare that with the many support gems of path of exile, of which you can choose 5 (or more when you get into crafting insane endgame gear). Maybe this expands in the endgame, but the above is all I saw in beta.

You choose your difficulty. This removes the challenge and instead makes it a question of efficiency. Yeah, I could make the monsters twice as tanky and damaging for 20% more loot and XP, but bonus XP actually just makes monsters even harder. And since it takes longer to kill them, it makes more sense to choose the easier difficulty until you are so strong that you spend more time walking from pack to pack instead of fighting. I suspect it will turn into d3 with literally over 180 meaningless difficulty levels to choose from. PoE and Last Epoch have one difficulty for everything, as it should be.

Party-to-win. You get XP and Loot bonuses for playing alongside other players (mmo style), and the bonus doubles if you formally party with them. Not only does synergistic party power out-scale monster power making the game so much easier, the bonus XP and loot make playing solo feel punishing. And when you know the whole reason for the system is to turn players into salesmen for their friends, it feels predatory.

TLDR:

Good stuff = graphics, no instant logout, combat, readability, non-spikey damage

Bad stuff = Items, skill augments, narrative, waiting around, repetitive, monsters scaling with your level, crafting/salvaging, choosing your own difficulty

D4 is a nice game for people new to the genre or casual players, but I think PoE (despite it's flaws that will hopefully be fixed in PoE 2) has a monopoly on the people who want depth/challenge in their ARPG.

they can always add better items, gameplay is what matters.
"
AmpegV4 wrote:
Diablo 1 & 2, the work the original Blizz North team did guarantee's this franchise will sell well for many many iterations off the brand alone.

Diablo:
- Taking what was originally planned as polished nethack clone and going real-time.
- Going with religious / real-world symbolism (you wouldn't do that in 2020, now it's gotta be nephalim / some made up stuff as someone will be offended).
- Matt Uelman iconic music arguably one the greatest composers of video games.
- Impeccable art design, gothic style the poems, the side quests just great world building.

A team with original idea's and lots of creativity. Then with the sequel just expanding on everything that was great about the first game and making it bigger and better.

---
Then Nu-Diablo
- Remove stats, remove skill choices, smart loot, 1 number itemization to focus on.
- Embedded trade system that made item drops boring.
- health globes and unique mechanic per class made it more like a Guantlet clone / action orientated.
- removal of heavy procedural generation, D4 has none apparently.
- Recycle leoric, butcher, adria, izual -> did no-one have any ideas after 12 years?! oh yeah killing off Cain.

D4.. all the same classes.. the same spells from D2, lost ark and 50 other Korean MMO features zzZZZZ

---
Pretty excited for POE2. Actiblizz for the first time will be contending with a game I think will exceed their production quality. Coupled with deeper mechanics and 12+ years of "balancing". If Tencent/GGG market this thing right they could really solidify themselves as king of ARPG.

I reckon the ages old POE2 reveal already looks on par or better than D4.

How do you know they removed stats...did you play the end game and we didn't ?
There are no health globes in d4...unless I played a different beta, there are only potions.
No procedural generation ? Why POE has something that generates procedural ? Cuz from what I remember d2 didn't have procedural generation, only same patterns in a N/S/W/E generation. Poe has none, the story is the same go left to progress go right for side quest...The maps are not procedural generated, they are the same layouts that we got used to for the past 8 years with different mobs that you my friend can actually state on the map ( kitava cultists bla bla), nothing is procedural generated only static manually implemented, no boss is procedural generated with different abilities, you know them beforehand. Now how do you know that D4 has none of that since you haven't seen the end game ? Just some static dungeouns in the starting area.
Same classes ? Please point me out the paladin and the assasin in d4. From what I see rogue is a new addition.
Recycle leoric, butcher, adria, izual: Do agree with this though...But I guess lore wise you cannot really kill a demon...You can only banish him back to whatever hell hole he came from, so it makes sense. Also there is a disagree part were I do not see Diablo anymore...Right now seems to be focused around Lilith...So I guess the story shift is not important for you to just get over Leoric and Butcher being still a thing.

People will keep on dreaming that POE puts the crown on their head as the rulers of ARPG in an era were it doesn't even matter. This is the exact definition of a fanboy...

Let me explain you this...Even if POE becomes the ruler of ARPGS, it doesn't really matter...People have started to look to different gaming patterns that were once the only things we knew in D2 or dungeons and dragons ...Even if GGG wins the battle for ARPGS against Blizzard ( which technically is not even a battle since Blizzards get's the full bag always), it will still end up with 300k players in peak launch....And even if some of us are still stuck in the era were ARPGS were like D2 , some other people have evolved to see different things as exciting and fresh.

There is one saying that will describe what I said bellow hope I quote it right : 'uneasy is the head that wears a crown'

Instead of being constructive in both ways you just dream that POE will rule ARPGS like your life depends on it....Instead of your fear about losing the 30 minutes you spend in POE how about trying to be really constructive and point out the goods and the bads in both ways so gaming can improve and not be a competition of who get's the more players.

P.S you remember bad about POE2 being on par with anything, as what we saw in 2 trailers are just copy pasted stuff from POE1 made somehow better to form new mechanics...And I hope I do remember this correctly but I think POE2 was revelead before d4 and between the scandal with the "do you have phones" thingy
Never invite Vorana, Last To Fall at a beer party.
Last edited by Vendetta on Mar 19, 2023, 6:00:40 AM
"
How do you know they removed stats...did you play the end game and we didn't ?
There are no health globes in d4...unless I played a different beta, there are only potions.
No procedural generation ? Why POE has something that generates procedural ? Cuz from what I remember d2 didn't have procedural generation, only same patterns in a N/S/W/E generation. Poe has none, the story is the same go left to progress go right for side quest...The maps are not procedural generated, they are the same layouts that we got used to for the past 8 years with different mobs that you my friend can actually state on the map ( kitava cultists bla bla), nothing is procedural generated only static manually implemented, no boss is procedural generated with different abilities, you know them beforehand. Now how do you know that D4 has none of that since you haven't seen the end game ? Just some static dungeouns in the starting area.
Same classes ? Please point me out the paladin and the assasin in d4. From what I see rogue is a new addition.
Recycle leoric, butcher, adria, izual: Do agree with this though...But I guess lore wise you cannot really kill a demon...You can only banish him back to whatever hell hole he came from, so it makes sense. Also there is a disagree part were I do not see Diablo anymore...Right now seems to be focused around Lilith...So I guess the story shift is not important for you to just get over Leoric and Butcher being still a thing.

People will keep on dreaming that POE puts the crown on their head as the rulers of ARPG in an era were it doesn't even matter. This is the exact definition of a fanboy...

Let me explain you this...Even if POE becomes the ruler of ARPGS, it doesn't really matter...People have started to look to different gaming patterns that were once the only things we knew in D2 or dungeons and dragons ...Even if GGG wins the battle for ARPGS against Blizzard ( which technically is not even a battle since Blizzards get's the full bag always), it will still end up with 300k players in peak launch....And even if some of us are still stuck in the era were ARPGS were like D2 , some other people have evolved to see different things as exciting and fresh.

There is one saying that will describe what I said bellow hope I quote it right : 'uneasy is the head that wears a crown'

Instead of being constructive in both ways you just dream that POE will rule ARPGS like your life depends on it....Instead of your fear about losing the 30 minutes you spend in POE how about trying to be really constructive and point out the goods and the bads in both ways so gaming can improve and not be a competition of who get's the more players.

P.S you remember bad about POE2 being on par with anything, as what we saw in 2 trailers are just copy pasted stuff from POE1 made somehow better to form new mechanics...And I hope I do remember this correctly but I think POE2 was revelead before d4 and between the scandal with the "do you have phones" thingy

@Vendetta kind irrelevant but to discuss some of your reply:

Stats: D3 fully dumbed it down where there was no player choice. They've now added some player choice to D4 which is a good change and believe they've partially copied POE's (which was FFX's) passive skill tree which is a much much better approach. I'm also referring to the simplification in Atk, Def and Life in D4 which is mobile game levels simple.

D4 has health globes as well but I checked > they've re-worked the mechanic to be more like POE's charges which is better approach IMO.

and the item stats *facepalm*, i want to build around crushing blow, bleed, poison dmg, enhanced undead damage, creatures are slain on death, do X on strike, blind on strike, magic dmg, damage to demons etc. etc. etc. Anything more interesting than an Attack number or 2% (which is virtually inconsequential to X).

Procedural Generation (your way off here). D1, D2 and Path of Exile outside itemization use a lot of procedural generation in the maps, it's weighted in a way you can learn to speed-run it through playing the game a lot as well as landmarks. This mechanic comes from the nethack / roguelike inspiration the games had.

Some set-piece locations are static, but a lot of the dungeons are procedural generated from smaller map-chunks. The dev team for D4 confirmed there was no procedural gen used in the game at all. It just means that you can b-line to every single quest location with zero variation every game, there is no E, W, N, S exit to a town, every speed-runner is going to take the same path every single game.

Another example, the fastest D1 speed run is where the runner got a extremely lucky seed that put the entrance and exits v. close together on every level through his run. Most players probably don't care about this (MMO's are all static as well) but from a competitive perspective procedural generation adds an element of randomization to the game. I'm no speed-run player but I do think it helped D1 and D2's replay-ability.

You can wrap your own logic to the lore around the lack of creativity if you like. I just think it's a lack of creativity and playing it safe as Diablo fanboys get nostalgic for the older *cough superior games.

That's right, no new classes at all :( Rogue, Barbarian and Assassin were in D1 as well. Witch doctor was a bit of a flop in D3 but it was something new, I mean it's not hard to come up with some archetypes: alchemist, ranger, cleric, inquisitor, priest, shaman. thief... I'm sure a billion dollar publisher/studio can come up with better idea's than me in 5 seconds.

Lilith is the best thing so far I've seen of the entire game, something new! and a really cool design.
Last edited by AmpegV4 on Mar 19, 2023, 6:37:02 AM
"
Pabulon wrote:
I just refunded. It felt so dull and tedious with literally zero feeling of making any improvement with next levels. And this itemisation - green = good. I would give it a chance but seeing skill tree and lack of any meaningful mechanics - I just don't believe I would spend in this game more like 80 hours, enforcing myself constantly that I'm on the edge of finally achieving satisfaction and miracolosuly discovering any complexity in this game. I'm not a fool, been playing D3. D4 for me is D3.5.

Yep, this
"
"
Nubatron wrote:
Outside of me feeling sad about the Diablo franchise dying for me at D2, it's a good thing D4 is following in the footsteps of D3 in terms of relatively easy itemization and character customization. The genre needs a game to step up into that market space to pull that player base.

When POE started getting D3 refugees, it was obvious in the tone and people pushing to make POE more like D3. This gives that group a place to go to enjoy the type of game they enjoy.

The game does look like it is moving a bit toward MMO rather than ARPG, but it still seems to maintain some ARPG elements -- at least enough to claim the ARPG genre flag. I hope it's closer to D3 than Diablo Immortal in the monetization department as well for that group that might head back.

Weird how much this resonates with me and yet how unfazed I am to be counted among "that group" despite once seeing it as everything blasphemous and heretical to ARPGs. You speak rightfully of D3 refugees in Wraeclast and for a long time we joked about how this was a sanctuary from Sanctuary...but what I think Exiles of today have somehow missed is that after ten years of gruelling Exile, there is absolutely an opposite effect. You can hit up any arpg reddit and see people searching for a game that is not as mentally exhausting as PoE. Naturally Exiles might look down at that -- "too simple" is the mock du jour of these Exile impressions of DIV -- but it would be sheer folly not to acknowledge the demand for it.

Equally, it was sheer folly to think any long time Exile would be swayed by what DIV has been declaring itself from the start but it is amusing to watch nonetheless. Bit like hardcore scientists being unable to enjoy a popcorn movie because, well, it's all superficial bullshit in service of shallow action and spectacle.

But there is a reason we keep making vapid blockbusters and it's got almost nothing to do with the populace just having bad taste.

And when I think of it that way, I delight in how snobbish Exiles come across. Of course PoE has nothing to fear from DIV -- no complicated indie movie ever had much to fear from a blockbuster. Even really successful ones like say, Chronicle or the current (relatively) low budget darling EEAAO. And that is me ignoring the usual metaphors for PoE's appeal, you're welcome.

I hope Crucible gives you guys something else to do, something a little more worthy of your time and intellect than...whatever is happening in these weirdly obsessive threads about a game not even made for you or with you in mind.

Compose this for your own self-gratification?
"

Weird how much this resonates with me and yet how unfazed I am to be counted among "that group" despite once seeing it as everything blasphemous and heretical to ARPGs. You speak rightfully of D3 refugees in Wraeclast and for a long time we joked about how this was a sanctuary from Sanctuary...but what I think Exiles of today have somehow missed is that after ten years of gruelling Exile, there is absolutely an opposite effect. You can hit up any arpg reddit and see people searching for a game that is not as mentally exhausting as PoE. Naturally Exiles might look down at that -- "too simple" is the mock du jour of these Exile impressions of DIV -- but it would be sheer folly not to acknowledge the demand for it.

Equally, it was sheer folly to think any long time Exile would be swayed by what DIV has been declaring itself from the start but it is amusing to watch nonetheless. Bit like hardcore scientists being unable to enjoy a popcorn movie because, well, it's all superficial bullshit in service of shallow action and spectacle.

But there is a reason we keep making vapid blockbusters and it's got almost nothing to do with the populace just having bad taste.

And when I think of it that way, I delight in how snobbish Exiles come across. Of course PoE has nothing to fear from DIV -- no complicated indie movie ever had much to fear from a blockbuster. Even really successful ones like say, Chronicle or the current (relatively) low budget darling EEAAO. And that is me ignoring the usual metaphors for PoE's appeal, you're welcome.

I hope Crucible gives you guys something else to do, something a little more worthy of your time and intellect than...whatever is happening in these weirdly obsessive threads about a game not even made for you or with you in mind.

This extra month with events that are not appealing to me (voided, meh) are definitely causing me to play the forum game a bit more for sure. Crucible will be fun for me mostly because I still enjoy the core gameplay; that's an amazing accomplishment for the game considering it's been a decade. There was only one game that held my attention longer and it was a MUD. I still hop on that game from time to time. That to me proves gameplay will always be king and animations/graphics secondary.

It dawned on me what game you were referring to that was $10 just this morning btw. I might give it a shot. The "saves sometimes" bug from the reviews doesn't sound great though. Have you run into any save issues with your progression?
Last edited by Nubatron on Mar 19, 2023, 8:43:52 AM
After having played the D4 beta for a bit I agree that it is likely to be way too shallow/progression-linear/mmorpg-ish to keep me interested for long. However they do some things right, that PoE should definitely learn from. For the love of god, get rid of the tedious stuff in PoE already! Auto pickup for minor things & letting items drop identified (we are living in 2023) would make the gameplay loop much more fun without compromising the "weight" of important drops. And while we are at it give us an in game way to trade bulk items efficiently.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info