I tried the D4 Beta. I think PoE is going to be just fine.

"
grepman wrote:
"

@ everone else: were you this quick to compare other betas to full games before? Or is it possible you, as Exiles, are just taking the path of least resistance as usual?

Why not compare betas to betas ?

D4 beta vs PoE open beta - PoE leaps and bounds better as an ARPG as we're able to play till Piety

lol, I think you are confused. PoE in 2012, the fall before release, while we had access to more of the acts, it was a mechanical, buggy, nightmare. Hell you couldn't even use a movement skill or cyclone with rubberbanding or desync. Not to mention all the mechanics people are accustomed to now, didn't exist.

It was brutal, lets not get it twisted. Expectations were much different, but cmon my dude, this is night and day. It's possible D4 is the most awaited beta in history of gaming. (I can't think of another public beta bigger)

The D4 Beta wasn't perfect, but it was absolutely fine functionally, and accomplished what it set out to do. I'm looking forward to Druid and Necro next weekend.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Mar 19, 2023, 10:00:07 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
"

@ everone else: were you this quick to compare other betas to full games before? Or is it possible you, as Exiles, are just taking the path of least resistance as usual?

Why not compare betas to betas ?

D4 beta vs PoE open beta - PoE leaps and bounds better as an ARPG as we're able to play till Piety

lol, I think you are confused. PoE in 2012, the fall before release, while we had access to more of the acts, it was a mechanical, buggy, nightmare. Hell you couldn't even use a movement skill or cyclone with rubberbanding or desync. Not to mention all the mechanics people are accustomed to now, didn't exist.

It was brutal, lets not get it twisted. Expectations were much different, but cmon my dude, this is night and day. It's possible D4 is the most awaited beta in history of gaming. (I can't think of another public beta bigger)

The D4 Beta wasn't perfect, but it was absolutely fine functionally, and accomplished what it set out to do. I'm looking forward to Druid and Necro next weekend.

I did say open beta, so not sure why you bring up fall of 2012, Im talking about january 2013.

And I'll say it again for those who think I stuttered or am confused (?). PoE open beta was more of an arpg D4 can even think of achieving. If you put two or more links on your ground slam in 2013 by act 3 piety (end of normal), you already have more character and skill customization than in D4

In fact, I kinda like 2013 poe over 2023 poe. It didn't have loot raining from the sky and it was stingy in map drops.

Not sure what the hell being most awaited beta or whatever has to do with anything here. PoE beta in 2013 was a better arpg. I look for character customization and builds in an arpg. I dont even think d4 is an arpg. Its customizations are mobile game like.

Was PoE in 2013 clunkier to play than D4 ? Yes. Doesnt make D4 a better arpg.
Last edited by grepman on Mar 19, 2023, 10:27:09 PM
I'll play devil's advocate here. :P

"
DarthSki44 wrote:

While it's true that Path of Exile had a rough start, deterministic lockstep was introduced to the game in 2015 — 8 years ago.

"
DarthSki44 wrote:

And that's largely because of the namesake. Simple thought experiment: Imagine Diablo IV releases under a different name, from a different studio– would it get the same amount of attention? Probably a fraction.

Blizzard North is the studio that made Diablo a household name. Diablo II was long-held as the gold standard for ARPGs because of that fact. Diablo III, Diablo Immortal and now Diablo IV were greenlit due to that fact.

Take note of the UX/UI in Diablo IV, especially the zoomed in camera. The entire UX/UI was designed for console. And then you look at the game itself; Diablo Immortal and Diablo IV have a lot of the same features. Is it a big surprise, given that both titles were developed in tandem?

And this is coming from someone who played Diablo Immortal until Paragon 15 and will be playing Diablo IV.

Necromancer and Druid should be fun. 👍
Streaming Path of Exile on Twitch: Twitch.tv/ActionRPGs

“There are only two great tragedies in life: one is not getting what you want and the other is getting it.” ―Oscar Wilde
"

Blizzard North is the studio that made Diablo a household name. Diablo II was long-held as the gold standard for ARPGs because of that fact. Diablo III, Diablo Immortal and now Diablo IV were greenlit due to that fact.

..right and almost none of that team worked on D3. I'd be surprised if anyone from D4 worked on any of the previous games. Even the Blizzard executive team from the D3 era have left the company including the company founder. So this is a completely new/different game by Activision with pretty much no creative talent that ever worked on anything in the franchise.

somehow that warrants crazy hype? brand is a powerful thing.
Last edited by AmpegV4 on Mar 19, 2023, 11:15:25 PM
I'm still excited for d4 necro and druid since those are the summoner classes and I almost exclusively main summoner classes. Having said that, I think d4 is more geared towards MMORPG players like Lost Ark.

The graphics and overal impact of combat feels quite good in D4. The monster difficulty always scaling to my level is a bit lame as it removes the ability to go back to beginner zones and dominate, or get really good gear and dominate end game content as well.

Besides those points, I'll still be playing both poe and d4.
I'm just tired of vapid, recycled AAA games with no innovation outside gouging customers. So long as these marketing campaigns can continue to pull in big sales numbers putting out more of the same nothing will ever change. Blizzards track record for the past 4-5 releases is considerably bad, what warrants this games hype?
"
AmpegV4 wrote:
I'm just tired of vapid, recycled AAA games with no innovation outside gouging customers. So long as these marketing campaigns can continue to pull in big sales numbers putting out more of the same nothing will ever change. Blizzards track record for the past 4-5 releases is considerably bad, what warrants this games hype?

It's the latest (insert X here) and as human beings, we're naturally tribal and community based, so we gravitate towards the familiar, which is beautiful. It's part of the human condition.

Live life and spend your time the way you enjoy. Find others who enjoy the same thing and don't sweat the small stuff. ✌️
Streaming Path of Exile on Twitch: Twitch.tv/ActionRPGs

“There are only two great tragedies in life: one is not getting what you want and the other is getting it.” ―Oscar Wilde
DIV will be fine
Wasn't worried in the first place because if you were following D4 updates you can tell they are going for casuals on consoles.

Upgrading gear? Just look for that green-up arrow.....

Also, it's coming to light now that D4 dungeons are made with console players in mind being that they are as basic as they come.
Nothing I saw excited me in any way, shape or form. Darker, grimmer version of D3 with some Lost Ark elements mixed in. I'll keep watching this coming weekend as I still have curiosity but I'm not an inch closer to buying this game.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/988f3369-4b68-4eb9-bc0e-edfce4c3c950

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info