Experience Penalty on Death Change Suggestion

GGG wont change it anytime soon
Affliction master craft service Affliction My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Affliction veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Affliction SC master craft service Affliction SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Affliction craft PM: TreeOfDead
i dont have time to read through comments right now, so maybe it has already been said but im going to give me 2 cents anyway.

1. i think xp loss on death is great. i dislike the "killing the boss with my face" play style that is bad enough already. w/o a penalty it would be worse.

2. there is no way to reliably avoid death with monsters that kill after they are dead, the game is laggy, and general HUGE DAMAGE. for reference, when i say huge damage, i am not talking about playing with a glass cannon. 8k life, 7k peak recovery (leech, instant recovery and regen combined), 7 endurance charges with 3mil dmg and yet it can insta die. that's just not cool.

in summary i want to keep a good death penalty, but want there to be an actual way to build to avoid those deaths.
"
burninbeard wrote:
8k life, 7k peak recovery

You see the problem right there. If you recover >50% of your life per second, you either die instantly (one-shot or extreme damage bursts), or you don't die at all.

So, the problem isn't the burst damage from monsters, if you ask me. That is just the symptom. The problem is the absurd amounts of recovery possible in this game. Most of us were happy when they removed Vaal Pact, because it was extremely dumb, and the same concept - too much sustain required one-shots to kill players at all. Then, they buffed recovery rates through the roof. What the thought process was behind that, I really don't know.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

Wouldn't this turn leveling into a RMT experience?

I don't see how. You can save up and buy Headhunter to help you zoom all the way to 100 or you can place XP ward early and level safer until that option becomes too pricy. One thing for sure RMT (Real Money Trading) is definitely not the term to be used here.
Nerf everything, not just recovery. Then remove one-shots.

Player move speed is also a factor in avoiding DD/volatiles/quills/etc.

On-death and ambush effect were created to catch slow players. Fast zoomers don't care about them because they have moved on quite a distance. "Oh a monster corpse detonated...way back there *yawn* *zoom*"

Slowing or capping movespeed so that you can never outrun the fastest mob in the map at any given time, would force some zoomers to rebalance their gear and build to deal with having to be in the area when the bombs and shrapnel went off.

Then you could justify letting players have tools to mitigate these effects.

Melee can't always movespeed their way out of danger because they can only deal damage while close to targets. They have insane recovery to compensate for having to be at ground zero all the time. Take that huge regen and recovery away. Then give back some of the passive tools melee players used to use to mitigate facemelting proximity effects. Or make them not so facemelting.

Players don't like wars of attrition, but they especially don't like "oops what killed me?" and when there's xp loss penalty, most players would rather lose a war of attrition and learn from it, than <enter map - instadie - reenter map - clusterfuck of ground effects and instadie - reenter map - dance around clusterfuck, instadie again to something new> on repeat forever.

I guess that would take some of the RNG out of battles though, and salvos of overlapping area-denial burst damage create genuine RNG deaths in Sirus and maven multiboss fights, and that's the "difficulty setting" we have now.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
"
crunkatog wrote:
Then remove one-shots.

Biggest compliments for my crafted items - "bs, they must have been RMT'ed"

I'm disabled, I have rare case of semperduravera, so I can write things that may look rude, but it is because of disability - I'm forced to tell truth using words you may not like.
"
Nebula5987 wrote:
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

Wouldn't this turn leveling into a RMT experience?

I don't see how. You can save up and buy Headhunter to help you zoom all the way to 100 or you can place XP ward early and level safer until that option becomes too pricy. One thing for sure RMT (Real Money Trading) is definitely not the term to be used here.

Why not? Any other way that involves safe leveling, like pure breachstones, requires more work. This way you don't need to do anything - if you have the currency you can pay to level up.
Last edited by Johny_Snow on Feb 27, 2021, 5:50:20 PM
The only issue I have is one shots from 3 screens away by monsters/bosses you didn't know were there.

In my opinion the game needs to be able to zoom out X2 to the current level. I get one shot lots but it is usually from spikey wankers with homing "on death spikes" or 50 electro men spawning on top of me. I just try and hop all over which is very affective.

XP loss is a mechanic that encourage "stay alive" but with so many instant 4Q's from stuff you cannot react to it becomes frustrating. It hasn't changed "in ever" so I don't imagine it ever will.
I understand what op has to say, not sure that I think GGG should change though.

the problems is not neglect defenses but being overpunished by some one shot mechanic that was not "foreseenable" or "avoidable". So, people over level 94 have to think twice before doing some maps or bosses. Some have to avoid Sirus because maybe he dies once. Some have to avoid Maven. Some have to avoid whatever.

After all, gladly the game aims to give a hard time to all kind of builds, right? But imagine to be level 99 and have a small chance to die at Sirus, which might cost you, IDK, 10 hours of progression? So people start to avoid all game content and it becomes boring as hell!

But to be clear, not saying that it suppose to change, but I can feel how really boring is to get level 100. The most I went far is 97 and nowadays is it a build that I only use to do hard fights cause I know that try to level it is too much boring.
Exiles, pffff!
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

Why not? Any other way that involves safe leveling, like pure breachstones, requires more work. This way you don't need to do anything - if you have the currency you can pay to level up.

Paying 10% exp loss to an absurd damage spike that one shots out of nowhere or disconnect death is fine in your opinion? Or for instance you wanna do some hard boss but afraid to die and lose progress. What is the logical solution in this situation? Ignore the hard encounter until you level up postponing fun content until way later. I even included some balancing ideas like increasing of cost after each use and limit to one per day to be not so game breaking. On the 5th use that would be 5 exalts, 15 exalts total if we count all uses.

If you are not sure why not RMT that's because any game with trading system can be called RMT experience. But it's actually up to the individual to whether or not engage in this kind of trading.

People who party up with an aura stacker or headhunter zoomers won't even notice inclusion of this proposed change whereas SSF and average player who decided to give lvl 100 a go would see it as a welcome addition in my opinion.

If you have currency you can level up even now. 70 exalted orbs for the headhunter. That is paying to level up. XP ward (just a small idea I came up with) is a protection against game inconsistencies in damage taken, bugs and disconnects that would kill your character when it matters the most.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info