Experience Penalty on Death Change Suggestion

"
Johny_Snow wrote:
Basically the same as Grim Dawn.

That may be. Basically the same as D2 too, except the gear part.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
First let them fix recovery in this game, limit it to 1% of total hp at max, then we can talk about removing one shots and only then we can talk about changing death penality.

Every single problem in this game comes from broken recovery system. We cannot die any other way then being one-shoted (or being hit multiple times within 1 sec) because we outsustain any dmg done 100 times over. Thats why melee is trash compered to ranged, thats why we have timers, thats why most build focus on dmg and forget defense etc. We need to change recovery system. Life flask should be the ultimate way of regaining health.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

"
"Most"? You have any statistics there, bud?

Logic. GGG keeps adding on-death effects because they work.

Then your logic is fault. I die less then 1% from on death effect, so think again...
"
HalfFiction wrote:
This has been a fun killer for me since the beginning. I have been deferring dangerous fights between levels because losing that 10% XP is too much as we get closer to level 100. But this method is boring as hell because I cannot play what I want when I want, instead have to grind endlessly. The worst part is, eventually I die at some point to something I do not see with no chance to react. Yesterday this happened to me again and I uninstalled the game with frustration although I was aiming for more challenges. But I am done.

My suggestion is; experience penalty on death is lowered by %1 for each level after 90 to 1% penalty at level 99, or to maximum 2%. It will still need a lot of grinding to reach level 100 while we will have a chance to recover the XP loss with reasonable extra grinding. Otherwise, 10% penalty at level 99 is an entire day's effort for me which is wasted on something that I cannot control. After a few times it becomes unbearable and I am forced to give up.

Please GGG consider this change for the next league, or find a better solution.
You can't expect this suggestion to go anywhere when you post it in General Discussion and not Feedback and Suggestions. More of a rant imo.
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-
Last edited by xPiranha on Feb 26, 2021, 11:16:08 AM
I know nothing will change until some influencers whine about it, or PoE starts losing player base to other APRGs & there are a lot of ARPG coming soon, last epoch, D2R, & D4 to name a few.

I do have something that is middle of the park.
Before I begin, I wanted to say there obviously need to have the death penalty, which pretty much every action games has, & pretty much every action game do not have exp or progress ion lost (at least up until the last save/checkpoint)

The main reason I dislike is nothing to do with the "git gud" stuff. Its simply because a I think good penalty system should be consistent, It should matters at level 5, at level 50, level 90, & level 100, & any point & level of your xp bar.

Currently, it only matters at the tail end of the last few levels. It also discourages player to play/gear better when they level, & encourage zerging.
I remembered my first time paling & I just zerging Malachi (which was the last boss) & it was so dumb, I think I died at least 10x.

Anyway, my middle ground proposal is to keep the 10% death penalty but locked the experience after. Meaning, if you died at 60%, and drop to 50%, that 50% is locked. If you died any point before reaching your original 60%, the worst you lose is up to 50%. Once you pass 60% your experience bar will be unlocked & you can lose the full 10% again.

Why do I think its a good middle ground.

A) Death is still punishing, & the core design remains the same. If you keep dying, you will not level up, or extremely slowly.

B) this allows softcore to be well "softcore" & encourage players take more risk & tackle harder content like big bosses at any point of your experience bar ( & not just near the beginning) without worrying about wiping days of work.

Last edited by KiadawP on Feb 26, 2021, 11:30:32 AM
I like that idea KiadawP - it would allow for some more risk taking but if you so reckless you die all of the time then you won't progress even to the first 'lock point' at 10%.

10% may be considered too frequent - even every 25% would be a good thing for me. I would effectively get an evening's play at high level in the bag and then take some chances the next day.
"
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

"
"Most"? You have any statistics there, bud?

Logic. GGG keeps adding on-death effects because they work.

Then your logic is fault. I die less then 1% from on death effect, so think again...

Playing devils advocate here, but what are the other 99% of deaths coming from?

The on death mechanics like DD, quills, volatiles, Lighting Mirage, etc... in my experience really are the most concerning (especially with screen clutter)

If you are dying to DoT, like Corrupted Blood or poison, which are much easier to mitigate, then your logic is far worse.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Feb 26, 2021, 11:40:14 AM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Playing devils advocate here, but what are the other 99% of deaths coming from?

The on death mechanics like DD, quills, volatiles, Lighting Mirage, etc... in my experience really are the most concerning (especially with screen clutter)

If you are dying to DoT, like Corrupted Blood or poison, which are much easier to mitigate, then your logic is far worse.

From me rushing and dont caring about group of monsters ahead or mods on map... I usually check what mods map have after i die few times. Im casual player and dont care much about levels or anything else. This is the reason why i love PoE, it is forgiving for casual players. You can get far not thinking about anything in the game. You need to kite and watch only on mayor bosses like sirus or maven. Map bosses are not to complicated

This league i died maybe 1-2 times from after death effects.
A decent idea would be to give you some option to choose when you kill A10 Kitava, make it a permanent choice which can never be changed to prevent abuse.

Gain XP at 50% reduced rate but never lose XP on death
Gain XP at 25% reduced rate, lose only 5% XP on death
Current XP gain/loss on death
5% XP bonus, lose all XP on death

Those are just numbers pulled out of my ass but giving some sort of trade off for reduced XP on death might work?
Last edited by RandallPOE on Feb 26, 2021, 11:51:56 AM
I think on the other hand softcore should be illegal and only hardcore viable.
I feel like nothing happen when i die in softcore and it shouldnt be the case. it should atleast delete all your stuff so this game can be finally labeled as hard and be back to his past glory.

[Removed by Support]
To vanquish without perils is to triumph without glory.
Last edited by Ian_GGG on Feb 26, 2021, 11:57:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info