Experience Penalty on Death Change Suggestion

This has been a fun killer for me since the beginning. I have been deferring dangerous fights between levels because losing that 10% XP is too much as we get closer to level 100. But this method is boring as hell because I cannot play what I want when I want, instead have to grind endlessly. The worst part is, eventually I die at some point to something I do not see with no chance to react. Yesterday this happened to me again and I uninstalled the game with frustration although I was aiming for more challenges. But I am done.

My suggestion is; experience penalty on death is lowered by %1 for each level after 90 to 1% penalty at level 99, or to maximum 2%. It will still need a lot of grinding to reach level 100 while we will have a chance to recover the XP loss with reasonable extra grinding. Otherwise, 10% penalty at level 99 is an entire day's effort for me which is wasted on something that I cannot control. After a few times it becomes unbearable and I am forced to give up.

Please GGG consider this change for the next league, or find a better solution.
Last bumped on Mar 18, 2021, 12:22:17 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
HalfFiction wrote:
This has been a fun killer for me since the beginning. I have been deferring dangerous fights between levels because losing that 10% XP is too much as we get closer to level 100. But this method is boring as hell because I cannot play what I want when I want, instead have to grind endlessly. The worst part is, eventually I die at some point to something I do not see with no chance to react. Yesterday this happened to me again and I uninstalled the game with frustration although I was aiming for more challenges. But I am done.

My suggestion is; experience penalty on death is lowered by %1 for each level after 90 to 1% penalty at level 99, or to maximum 2%. It will still need a lot of grinding to reach level 100 while we will have a chance to recover the XP loss with reasonable extra grinding. Otherwise, 10% penalty at level 99 is an entire day's effort for me which is wasted on something that I cannot control. After a few times it becomes unbearable and I am forced to give up.

only the best builds are meant to reach 100. Its fine like it is. Manage your expectations
I haven't got as far as uninstalling but I've definitely taken time out following a string of one-shots. I agree with the OP - the XP penalty needs to be lowered at the highest levels. I wonder what I'd do when I hit 100 though - stop playing? Not sure...probably not.
"
jewdas12 wrote:
"
HalfFiction wrote:

only the best builds are meant to reach 100. Its fine like it is. Manage your expectations

His seems to be I want to die without any form of penalty.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
jewdas12 wrote:
"
HalfFiction wrote:

I wouldn't say the best builds. You can pay for experience, you can also do easier content such as Beachheads. More like - you need to be smart about it instead of complaining about the death penalty.
First off; I like how you purpose changes, and not just whine about the mechanic. It's refreshing to see in here. I also like that you don't just want to remove the mechanic you hate, but rather 'mitigate' it.

Some sort of death penalty has its place. You are supposed to avoid dying. You are supposed to 'not want to die'. And I smile every single time I read "...but Phrazz, it's softcore, losing one portal is punishment enough'. Losing one portal isn't softcore, it's kindergarden-core, and only encourage cheezing content, like the new, popular Maven-logout.

The death penalty is supposed to 'force' (read: encourage) you to think about your build's defenses as well as offenses. It's supposed to give content value in terms of choices. "Can I run this safely?" is a valid choice. There's a plce for leveling, and there's a place for doing dangerous stuff.

Now, is it "perfect"? No. Can at be altered? Sure. But just straight out lowering it? Not a fan.

What I am a fan of, on the other hand, is some sort of revenge system. Whatever kills you, gets a visible mark, some sort of visible aura. Killing this monster, will let you retrieve some of your lost XP. While I'm not a fan of 'corpse running' in othere games, this would be different, as there's no loot to retrieve - and you are fully geared.

This would suit the whole 'risk and reward'-structure GGG are going for in so many areas of the game, especially vs bosses.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
And how in the heck would this change the situation when most of the deaths come from monster on-death effects?
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
And how in the heck would this change the situation when most of the deaths come from monster on-death effects?

"Most"? You have any statistics there, bud?

Anyhow, the death penalty shouldn't be removed because of one (type of) mechanics; the mechanic should change. An as to my suggestion, it would be pretty easy to retrieve some of your XP if your nemesis was already dead. Just put the good, ol' tombstone there.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Honestly, for me it would be enough if I could disable XP gain and XP penalty, such that I could level when I want to level, and just do crazy stuff when I want to do crazy stuff.

The way it is currently, I hit level 95 and stop caring about XP. I don't need to reach level 100, and I think it is OK that you have to be able to avoid deaths in order to reach level 100. But the way it forces you to run boring content for long stretches of time if you still want to level beyond level 90 or so, I find that to be really not good game design. So a toggle button to freeze your XP would be nice.

And of course, they should work on all the stability and performance issues that can give you undeserved deaths, those are very frustrating, too.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
Basically the same as Grim Dawn.

"
"Most"? You have any statistics there, bud?

Logic. GGG keeps adding on-death effects because they work.
Last edited by Johny_Snow on Feb 26, 2021, 7:06:55 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info