Experience Penalty on Death Change Suggestion

I already think it's way too easy to reach level 100. When I can get to lvl 100, it's too easy basically.

A suggestion to you though. Make two characters every league. One for mapping/other easy content, and one for bossing. Log on to the boss character whenever you want to do risky content.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
While I have no hope of it actually happening, I would also like to see some sort of mitigation to the oneshot and XP loss issues. Yes, there should be a penalty for dying and it should be more than just losing a portal. I kind of like the "lock XP" mechanic suggested earlier as it also means that you don't have to wait on a level up to try a new/difficult encounter without having to worry about 60% of that level's XP going away.

The problem is player visibility. Back when I was learning Shaper and Elder, the attacks were well telegraphed and quite visible. I could look, watch, go "oh, so THAT is what it does", and continue learning the fight. Now, especially with Maven (and still Mino, lol) I can't see a damn thing with all the effects going off combined with a black on black or purple on purple motif with nothing but transparency effects. This is especially rough for minion builds where they will continue attacking during invuln phases because lolAI. Some Ritual effects also make it worse.

This has really tipped the balance of my deaths from "Oh, I shouldn't have stopped to cast there." or "That hits harder than I thought." well into the realm of "Where the HELL did that come from?". This is why you see so many builds focus on things like block and dodge. If you can't see it coming, you better be able to automatically negate it.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
Basically the same as Grim Dawn.

"
"Most"? You have any statistics there, bud?

Logic. GGG keeps adding on-death effects because they work.

Because it's the only way to deal with players that love to go zoom zoom.
Meh. Die? Keep your XP. But now you lose X% item rarity until you reach your next level. Makes dying early in the level a whole, new ballgame. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Another solution could be to use currency to place XP ward on the character. Starts with one exalt and each time it is used the number of exalts required increases by 1. Something like that. No more than once per day.
It's a shitty feeling when you try to level only to die to some retarded shit wasting hours of progress.
"
RandallPOE wrote:
A decent idea would be to give you some option to choose when you kill A10 Kitava, make it a permanent choice which can never be changed to prevent abuse.

Gain XP at 50% reduced rate but never lose XP on death
Gain XP at 25% reduced rate, lose only 5% XP on death
Current XP gain/loss on death
5% XP bonus, lose all XP on death

Those are just numbers pulled out of my ass but giving some sort of trade off for reduced XP on death might work?

Not a bad idea for me. Risk vs Reward. Higher risk higher reward. Better than
now where "Play safe->high reward", is the only option at higher levels.
Last edited by KiadawP on Feb 27, 2021, 3:44:00 AM
"
Nebula5987 wrote:
Another solution could be to use currency to place XP ward on the character. Starts with one exalt and each time it is used the number of exalts required increases by 1. Something like that. No more than once per day.
It's a shitty feeling when you try to level only to die to some retarded shit wasting hours of progress.

Wouldn't this turn leveling into a RMT experience?
I'm personally okay with the death penalty. There needs to be some sort of friction to leveling, and they'll create some other means to slow leveling down if it's not the 10%. If anything, people are reaching level 100 way to easy and something needs to be added.

Level 100 was a lot more interesting 5-6 years ago and felt like an achievement. I used to work on a Standard character slowly progressing to 100 and thought I might get there in a year or two. Now I get a level 100 in ~2 months (yeah, I'm slow).

Does anyone think GGG is cool with the current state of getting level 100? If they give in to the 10% penalty removal or reduction, I would bet that they add some other means to slow it down like 90% less experience or a lot more deaths in the case of death penalty reduction.

This isn't some MMO where getting the highest level is mandatory. It's one of countless potential goals in this game. The path to 100 is tedious by design. If that's your goal, there are safer ways to do it. There is nothing in this game that requires level 100 though.

And there is nothing forcing you to skip hard content on the way to 100. I did Cortex, Sirus 5-6 times, Uber Atziri and HoGM on the road from 98-99. The only thing I purposely skipped is the Maven, and that's because I don't enjoy that clusterfuck even a little bit. It's more fun when you have something to lose.
Last edited by Nubatron on Feb 27, 2021, 6:45:42 AM
Something like D2 where you get a part of your Exp back but make it more interesting.

Add a timer that starts when leaving grace period (after re-entering map) similar like in the game The Surge.

This will partially mitigate the loss and make it rewarding in case players get to their death location in time.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
"
Nubatron wrote:

This isn't some MMO where getting the highest level is mandatory. It's one of countless potential goals in this game. The path to 100 is tedious by design. If that's your goal, there are safer ways to do it. There is nothing in this game that requires level 100 though.

My problem is that skill tree actually is my favourite part of the game. It's really bad if favorite part of the game is tied to least favorite, which is punitive penalty of death on levels 95+.

It's true that having that many skill points is in no way required to build a powerful character, which to me exactly is not an argument for having prohibitive penalties on xp.

In fact some might argue the power ratio between skill tree and gearing up isn't very thoughtfully balanced overall, giving way too much power over gear, but leaving that aside I just love doing whacky things with skill tree, even if it doesn't necessarily result in overt increase of character power.
Last edited by vmt80 on Feb 27, 2021, 8:52:58 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info