Experience Penalty on Death Change Suggestion

"
Nomancs wrote:

Sure, one inspired learning give anyone 100k ES... I think this sums up the discussion. I don't know what game you play, but for sure it isn't Path of Exile. 100k ES...

His message was inspired learning was viable, that it was ok. 100k ES that I saw was with Headhunter. Point stands. It's impossible to die with such buffs. Continue to tell that black is white. It's really cute. You don't even have an opinion. Just an overboosted ego.
"
RandallPOE wrote:
A decent idea would be to give you some option to choose when you kill A10 Kitava, make it a permanent choice which can never be changed to prevent abuse.

Gain XP at 50% reduced rate but never lose XP on death
Gain XP at 25% reduced rate, lose only 5% XP on death
Current XP gain/loss on death
5% XP bonus, lose all XP on death

Those are just numbers pulled out of my ass but giving some sort of trade off for reduced XP on death might work?

holy shit i love this idea. This is really really nice.

My own idea was to make it 10% of CURRENT xp. Which means the more xp you currently have, the more you lose, but the curve gets less steap towards the end, so that you aren't punished as harshly.

maybe also some combination of all of that

EDIT: and also, well, yeah.. at this point the XP loss no longer punishes players for being sloppy.. mostly we die to unbalanced monsters (with or without map mods) a.k.a. one-shot galore - because some monsters in this game are just simply stronger than they were ever INTENDED to be - and/or client/server instability.

Since the player can't really be blamed for any of the above, the penalty in it's current state is faulty and needs to be reworked. My 10 cents, given yet another time on this issue.
Last edited by DesselDyad on Feb 28, 2021, 5:46:55 AM
"
at this point the XP loss no longer punishes players for being sloppy

lol are you serious? Most of the people who complain about it don't have good characters.
"
Nebula5987 wrote:
"
Nomancs wrote:

Sure, one inspired learning give anyone 100k ES... I think this sums up the discussion. I don't know what game you play, but for sure it isn't Path of Exile. 100k ES...

His message was inspired learning was viable, that it was ok. 100k ES that I saw was with Headhunter. Point stands. It's impossible to die with such buffs. Continue to tell that black is white. It's really cute. You don't even have an opinion. Just an overboosted ego.

You already made a point that stands that anyone can get 100k ES with just inspired learning - I don't know if it actually stands, but do something grand for sure.

Again, this is not about item but more about build, and headhunter is more of a clearspeed mapper, than leveling build for multiple reasons. It would be nice if you would get yourself familiar with it more:
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Headhunter
Biggest compliments for my crafted items - "bs, they must have been RMT'ed"

I'm disabled, I have rare case of semperduravera, so I can write things that may look rude, but it is because of disability - I'm forced to tell truth using words you may not like.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
"
at this point the XP loss no longer punishes players for being sloppy

lol are you serious? Most of the people who complain about it don't have good characters.

yeah. i'm ignoring all that ranting and shouting and complaining. i completely disregard that on principle. those people will always exist.

i'm speaking entirely based upon my own experience. for every death of mine that is caused by sloppiness, there are ten+ deaths which were in no way realistically my fault.

i'm not saying, either, that the penalty should be removed or anything. i'm simply saying that the penalty in it's current form is entirely disproportionate and unfitting. if they keep it this way, they need to significantly rework one-shots and client/server stability.

either, or. But right now, it's just.. yeah.. faulty, to say the least
but yeah... i'll do one more week of "fun content" and then i'll stay in normal/blue red maps and ~depth 150-200 delve and just do safe, boring zombie-brain-afk-leveling.. thank god for master mission generation..

i refuse to pay 30-40 exa for breachstone rotas just because those are the only safe and easy alternative
"
DesselDyad wrote:

i refuse to pay 30-40 exa for breachstone rotas just because those are the only safe and easy alternative

Go for beachheads
Biggest compliments for my crafted items - "bs, they must have been RMT'ed"

I'm disabled, I have rare case of semperduravera, so I can write things that may look rude, but it is because of disability - I'm forced to tell truth using words you may not like.
"
Nomancs wrote:
"
DesselDyad wrote:

Go for beachheads

i would, but... XP is the same, and burning master missions doesn't cost me anything... i wouldn't otherwise even use them, anyway.. been stockpiling them for a while now specifically for this purpose.. it's like "350 red niko missions VS lvl 96 to 100"..

EDIT: And then i'll be selling off tons of fossils and resonators wholesale and making a pretty penny off that
Last edited by DesselDyad on Feb 28, 2021, 6:41:17 AM
"
acco73 wrote:
"
HalfFiction wrote:
This has been a fun killer for me since the beginning. I have been deferring dangerous fights between levels because losing that 10% XP is too much as we get closer to level 100. But this method is boring as hell because I cannot play what I want when I want, instead have to grind endlessly. The worst part is, eventually I die at some point to something I do not see with no chance to react. Yesterday this happened to me again and I uninstalled the game with frustration although I was aiming for more challenges. But I am done.

My suggestion is; experience penalty on death is lowered by %1 for each level after 90 to 1% penalty at level 99, or to maximum 2%. It will still need a lot of grinding to reach level 100 while we will have a chance to recover the XP loss with reasonable extra grinding. Otherwise, 10% penalty at level 99 is an entire day's effort for me which is wasted on something that I cannot control. After a few times it becomes unbearable and I am forced to give up.

Please GGG consider this change for the next league, or find a better solution.

Losing exp was my huge problem as well , until I discovered how easy Beachhead T15 map is and it gives very decent chunk of exp or at least it was decent for me at Lvl 96 . I only died once and made it to lvl 97 in few days. The only thing that I'm good in this game is collecting currency , so buying them for 15 chaos orbs each was very cheap for me . I think it took around 40 to level up.

o and I play with totally messed up character , hierophant as a summoner , so if it's easy for me it will be a breaze for everyone else.

Yes, and not trying to criticize you here: I find it ridiculous that leveling in PoE includes circumventing the actual content. As you demonstratively write, people well know death penalty punishes those who'd like to try out new stuff with their character (taking risks on SF? How dare they!). Instead, let us buy harmless content so that we can circumvent the system and call it a fix. I hope not, because lately it has felt 'playing PoE' is all about doing exactly that.

It kinda resonates with what some other guy recently told about Maven challenges and how you'd better dps your way through bosses spawning before you actually need to fight them, since you actually cannot fight them realistically once they all have spawned.
Last edited by vmt80 on Feb 28, 2021, 9:38:52 AM
now we're piling stuff back on top of this thread that is inherently a misconception and is getting things sidetracked..

if you're trying new things, you're quite likely to not be doing "what you're supposed to".. so if an experimental hippie off-meta build cant reach the last few levels, that's fine..

what this post is about, is the fact that even "proper" meta builds sometimes struggle, if they aren't being super careful 100% of the time. And even if they are, they still occasionally die to one-shots or client/server instability.

Whether or not hippie builds should be able to NESSECARILY ALWAYS reach lvl 100, too, is an entirely different discussion. This thread will be useless if people getting off-track with HH's and hippie builds. That wasn't OP's point, either. Please. For the love of Sin and Innocence, stop getting offtrack.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info