Evasion progress

Couple people have mentioned mixing in armor, however I feel that they are forgetting that a pure evasion build takes Acrobat, which negates armor and ES.

Again, pure evasion build is a sandtrap build that is guaranteed to kill you.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
Malice wrote:
"
Archangel591 wrote:
As of right now it does not reflect the stat properly at all.
I've been running around with my 40% evasion for a while now and I rarely see the animation.

There is no evade animation, the enemy just whiffs.

Good to know. But sometimes there is an animation.

I wish they would make it more clear.

In Diablo 2 you either:

Got hit
Didn't get hit
Got hit, but Blocked
Got hit, but Evaded

Here it seems a bit more complicated. As I understand blocking animation only happens when the hit was supposed to stun. Is it the same with evasion animation? It must be a stunning hit?

I think it would be cooler if the animation happened always. :)
"
Archangel591 wrote:
Good to know. But sometimes there is an animation.
There is no animation for evading. There is for blocking, but it won;'t play unless the hit would have stunned you.

"
Archangel591 wrote:
Got hit
Didn't get hit
Got hit, but Blocked
Got hit, but Evaded
That last one makes no sense in terms of PoE (and, to be fair, in language in general). If you evaded, then you didn't get hit. That's what evading is.

"
Archangel591 wrote:
Here it seems a bit more complicated. As I understand blocking animation only happens when the hit was supposed to stun. Is it the same with evasion animation? It must be a stunning hit?
The blocking animation only plays if the hit would have stunned. This is because otherwise blocking can be a bad thing as it would interrupts your casting animation, etc. This way you're only interrupted if the hit would interrupt you anyway.

There is no evasion animation in the game, and without significant changes, I believe there can't be. The client doesn't know if you evaded.

The reason for this is that if you evade, no damage package is sent form the server - when the client reaches the point it would apply damage, it checks whether it's received a package form the server, and if not it doesn't apply damage. However, the package may have just been delayed due to lag, in which case when it arrives the client will realise that damage should already have been dealt, and apply it. There's no way for the client to know if you evaded, or if you were hit and the package didn't get in right on time, so it can't play an animation based on evading since it doesn't know if you did.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

The reason for this is that if you evade, no damage package is sent form the server - when the client reaches the point it would apply damage, it checks whether it's received a package form the server, and if not it doesn't apply damage. However, the package may have just been delayed due to lag, in which case when it arrives the client will realise that damage should already have been dealt, and apply it. There's no way for the client to know if you evaded, or if you were hit and the package didn't get in right on time, so it can't play an animation based on evading since it doesn't know if you did.

1)Find dmg packages.
2)Block them.
3)Enjoy being immortal

Think it would be possible to do?
Since i saw some people in other games blocking packages they dont want to get adventages.
"
herflik wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

1)Find dmg packages.
2)Block them.
3)Enjoy being immortal

Since i saw some people in other games blocking packages they dont want to get adventages.

Presumably you would still die on the server, so all you would achieve is the temporary illusion of immortality.
"
herflik wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

1)Find dmg packages.
2)Block them.
3)Enjoy being immortal

I remember, in the old past, that Spiderman, who's like everybody know, is the epitomize of dodging blow use to said, when he don't dodged some blows from the bad guys, that he "get along with the blow" (sry : I don't know the English translation for that expression).

It means that whenever he was getting hit, he was mitigating blow because he always move with the blow in order to not receive the full impact of it.

in this case you can say that he "partially" dodged.

-in fact whenever you are getting hit, or fall or whatever incoming at you, you near always try to mitigate the impact, and you can do it most of the time. So, it's not armor... but it's mitigation.

Maybe Spiderman is giving you an hint to treat the PoE evade problem's? ;)

... nothing
Ninja-edit. Messed some stuff up, lol. - The more I write the more I realize that my suggestions are not very well thought through, lol.

Who'da thunk it, making game mechanics is hard. :D

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
There is no animation for evading. There is for blocking, but it won;'t play unless the hit would have stunned you.

Thanks for answering. I guess it just seemed that way a few times. Could have sworn the Ranger I play kinda moved without taking damage. But it could have indeed been an actual low damage hit that I didn't notice or something.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
That last one makes no sense in terms of PoE (and, to be fair, in language in general). If you evaded, then you didn't get hit. That's what evading is.

I suppose it does sound a bit weird. What I meant was that the game calculated whether or not the hit was supposed to hit you, and when it should hit, then it ran into the Evasion modifier and if succesfful it triggered the animation and no damage taken.

In Diablo 2 I suppose their Armor rating is what PoE-s evasion is in reality.

A rating that determines how likely you are to get hit. In Diablo it was just "Defense rating" which all armors gave. And there was no damage reduction per say from it at all.

I guess the wording and actual effect of these ratings are too "hit and miss" for their own good.

Basically you took Diablo's system and also added Armor that provides damage resistance, but no actual "Defense" in helping you dodge hits.

While removing a "fixed evasion" ability found in Diablo.

*Perhaps it would be better to slightly rework the actual wording and mechanics of it all, so it's not as... well, confusing and instead more logical.

As other posters have said - have armors simply Modify the wearers Evasion rating effectivness. The heavier the armor class, the more Evasion penalties you receive.
Mage armors and light armors having none, or very low and heavy armors allowing practially no evasion at all.

Dex. type armors would just allow optimal evasion rating accumulation through no penalties, while still offering some armor. So you'll be "protected" to some degree, but having to invest into dexterity to survive.

Mage armors are fine as they are, as they give no Evasion.

EDIT - Just realized that it would most likely unbalance things if Strength characters would get massive armor and dam resistance + lots of health, while Dex. characters would be low on health, get no real armor or dam resist and would have to invest a lot of Dex. to evade properly...

I know it would mean reworking some stuff, but it's just something to perhaps think about. :)

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The blocking animation only plays if the hit would have stunned. This is because otherwise blocking can be a bad thing as it would interrupts your casting animation, etc. This way you're only interrupted if the hit would interrupt you anyway.

Understood.

Though I didn't quite see it as an issue in D2, where blocking did interrupt everything, but that kinda made sense.
Can't really "Smooth block" IMO. That's why you had the Block Recovery modifier though which allowed quicker block animation and the ability to resume rapidly.

But that's nitpicking kinda. The current system as far as blocking is concerned is quite fine.

I simply enjoyed having a powerful shield in D2 and hearing that "Clink" sound as often as possible - feeling all Indestructible by blocking hit after hit.

Maybe not as "smooth" as some would like, but I enjoyed it.

If it's not too complicated to implement, Polls could always be created. That goes for Evasion rating modifying as-well.
If the DEVS are open to new mechanics ideas - some Polls would give a quick answer if it's what the community would like. Point of the whole Beta. :)

But just to make it absolutely clear. Enjoying the game IMMENSELY. Want it to be as good as humanly possible.
Last edited by Archangel591 on Apr 13, 2012, 11:55:59 AM
Up! For the Spiderman's evasion process.
Just to imply that it can be some sort of damage's mitigation from an evade move...
... nothing
The more you buff your pure evasion builds, the more you nerf armor tanks.And at the end forcing them to go more evasion than armor.

All the suggestions look at the one problem and try to fix it but cause new problems with the balance.

Evasion is exactly how it should be, you are good in avoiding attacks but if you fail and get hit it hurts a lot.

A pure int witch has no armor and no evasion, what about that? UGLY BROKEN ?

English is my third language, there will be bugs.
"
LadyDevimon wrote:
The more you buff your pure evasion builds, the more you nerf armor tanks.And at the end forcing them to go more evasion than armor.

All the suggestions look at the one problem and try to fix it but cause new problems with the balance.

Evasion is exactly how it should be, you are good in avoiding attacks but if you fail and get hit it hurts a lot.

A pure int witch has no armor and no evasion, what about that? UGLY BROKEN ?

You seem very set on the opinion that "evasion should not change for the world".

While I can see some of your points, talking about "buff" is a strawman in this discussion. What people are talking about is "redesigning" or "changing". Sure it might be seen as a "buff" but it is a purely speculative notion.

Int has some scaling/passive needs to be attented to as GGG has already recognised. No redesign needed unless you want to rip out the "% increase to energy shield" from the intelligence stats. It is scewing the value of intelligence to be higher at later stages of the game and almost completely worthless in the begining.

And please refrain from trying to ridicule people disagreeing with you. At best it does not strenghten your arguments...
I appear to be living in "Romance Standard Time". That has to be good! :)
Last edited by radiatoren on Apr 14, 2012, 8:24:01 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info