Evasion progress

It is not about to be succesful since we all are beta testers :)

My original idea of this char was a pure dex char with all you can imagine with that - great evasion/dodge, attack speed and movement speed. It isn't that bad, you run, you shoot. I let only a very small percentage of mobs come to me, so they won't hit me much...but when it happens they do, i want to have functional evasion. So that from 10 attacs on me I would get hit 2-3 times max. But with 65% evasion +20% dodge I still get hit a LOT more then i should.

As for your suggestion that we MUST have armour...that is not true. Since there is Acrobatics keystone that gives takes away all your armour and ES, i guess the original idea is that you don't really have to wear armour on some special builds...But those builds would have to work :(
You don't 'have' to have armor. You just can't go all in on one thing.

The no armor node might work pretty well with some of the 6k+ health builds.
"That's how you die properly, Sailor Boy.."
"
jawsofhana wrote:
Evasion is very good, but you need some common sense.

You can't every evade every single attack. So you need armor on the side.

What you are asking for is 100% evasion, since you'd get killed without damage reduction, when you finally get hit.

However, it is not hard to get f.ex. 50/50 Armor damage reduction and evasion. Which means you'll only take half the hits, for half the damage. (not accurate, but you get the point).

However, if you are melee. You plan to get stuck in a crowd of mobs. All hitting you, all the time.

10 mobs with 1 attack per second, 70% evasion. 3 hits per second will land. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Common sense dictates that you'd want some redution for that damage. Which you have the means to get.

PoE is not about min/maxing one stat/skill. In order to be successful, you need a varied skillset, and/or different protective resources.

Complaining that evasion doesn't work if that is all you stack, is like complaining that you still get killed by magic when you stack only armor, and no resist. Or whine about dying because you have no defensive properties. Just a whole ton of health points.

This is not true. I don't see people playing Resolute Technique Marauders complaining how they go pure Armor and get killed easily. And I don't see anyone telling them to make sure to wear 50/50 armor/evasion.

No, what you just showed us is that armor > evasion when it should not be like that.

"
This has made me kind of wonder.

I was looking through old mechanics threads and physical used to be 75% max.

Has iron reflexes made it so It's possible for me to get 90% or have they raised the hard cap?
*or does someone have a link to a newer mechanics thread?
*I'm blind or a horrible with the search tool?*
Scratch that I was Blind

also I found a flask that gave 10000 armor.. thought it would be funny to have 20064 armor but it didn't change my % reduction.

after looking at a few graphs i understand it would still make the damage I take less, but it just doesn't change the hard % ?

I was changed 1-2 patches ago to let you get to 90%.

And it cannot show you more then 90% with flask as that is best you can get. But you don't get that against hard hitting mobs, for them you still need that flask to keep it at 90%.

"
"
Torin wrote:

This is not true. I don't see people playing Resolute Technique Marauders complaining how they go pure Armor and get killed easily. And I don't see anyone telling them to make sure to wear 50/50 armor/evasion.

No, what you just showed us is that armor > evasion when it should not be like that.
They probably have shields.. I don't think the evasion would be a problem with Evasion+Phase+block

I'd have to try it... =/

I have evasion 57%, 20% dodge and 23% block with dual wielding and I get hit often enough. I almost died couple of times from 1 hit and I am still just in Cruel with this char (and I have around 500 hp). I don't see this char surviving Chaos.
What I must note is that before taking Acrobatics I got hit more often. But Acrobatics removes all armor and ES and I cannot follow "advice" of mix some armor with my evasion. What I need is some buffer for situations when I would get one shotted with a hard hit or with a critical through all my defenses.

Last edited by Torin on Apr 8, 2012, 6:50:47 AM
As I have mentioned before: In my opinion the biggest problems with evasion has to do with the lack of a buffer before you die. It is a bit too much of a boolean. You either get hit and die or you do not and you live. You just need more life, some damage-reduction or energy shield so you can build a non-boolean character with dexterity and that possibility is severely lacking at the moment except for 1 very specific build (Iron Reflexes). You almost always end up lacking hp to get an advantage from +% health.
I appear to be living in "Romance Standard Time". That has to be good! :)
Perhaps it needs to be easier/more cost effective to get health nodes when going for a pure Dex build.

A skill or passive that gives you damage reduction equal to your dodge% after a successful dodge that lasts for X amount of time or after mitigating damage from X amount of hits?
A few easily accessible +x life passives would go a long way in making rangers better. Also a reduction of crit from monsters or crit damage could make surviveability less of an issue.
I appear to be living in "Romance Standard Time". That has to be good! :)
Testing Evasion in very limited amounts I found it not worth it. If Evasion could max out at 97-99% it might be worth it, but at 90% or 95% chance it simply isn't, 1/20 is too much, 1/100 however is acceptable, you will probably be 1hko that 1 time out of 100, but it allows builds to open up properly to this. 99 might however be too high and 97-98 a bit more fair, but 95 is way too low, most games make this mistake thinking that there is little difference between 95 and 99 but it's all the difference in the world as you get higher and balancing it towards the end will be a big deal, when you get hit very often and most things will 1hko you because you have no/little armor, taking your chances on 1/20 is simply unacceptable and makes any build revolving around such unacceptable.

As for a buffer between death and dying, simply add a keystone that gives chance for you to retain 1HP on any hit that would otherwise 1HKO you (and only count for 1HKOs), this would provide you with a very different build (could become a bit fun or OP if the person you're fighting doesn't have high attack speed and you have instant pots), it could however be very broken with Chaos Innoculation and would require something to stop it from being used together, or be removed so far from it on the tree that it would draw you thin enough to not make it matter.
"
"
Torin wrote:

I have evasion 57%, 20% dodge and 23% block with dual wielding and I get hit often enough. I almost died couple of times from 1 hit and I am still just in Cruel with this char (and I have around 500 hp). I don't see this char surviving Chaos.
What I must note is that before taking Acrobatics I got hit more often. But Acrobatics removes all armor and ES and I cannot follow "advice" of mix some armor with my evasion. What I need is some buffer for situations when I would get one shotted with a hard hit or with a critical through all my defenses.
I understand you mentioned you have block.. I hate to say it but 23% block is almost laughable. You could have that at level 1 with a piece of wood off of the beach.
Dual wield block vs shield block percentages have an amazing gap of up to 40%.

say you had 60% evade, 20% dodge and 60% block things would probably be looking up.

Or if you were playing ranged understandably your survivability would be up.

I honestly don't believe that melee and acrobatics are paired very well in any case.

Yes, GGG should then kick dual wield out of the game by your statement...

Will give you some sad news...The game is not balanced and some things just plain suck compared to others...

Dual weild and 2handers are in the suck catagory unless you plan on rerunning normal difficulty forever... Some of you are thinking no way he is nuts so here goes...

2handers you give up the mighty shield with 24%-30% block plus armor evasion and or energy shield. Plus you lose a slot that would be valuable bonuses... all for a slight increase in damage...High DPS does not matter when you are dead...

Dual wield is much the same thing you give up the mighty shield for a slight increase in damage... also by loosing the shield you loose another option for 6 socket items... The slight increase in DPS is not worth the huge loss in survivability...

I could go on about evasion being garbage in this game compared to armor and str being far superior to dex... but that would make this a huge post...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info