Evasion progress

Hi, i tried to play an max evasion character and since evasion doesn't work much i went to forum and searched - there are so many topics, but they are about 6+ months old...is somebody working on this evasion problem or is it gonna be like now - independable and not much working?
They've already changed evasion to be more dependable, forcing it to automatically break streaks of failed rolls. Statistically, evasion works exactly like the game says it does. If you have 50% evasion, you're going to get hit about half the time.

Evasion doesn't do anything against spells. It helps to buff up your elemental resistances. It also doesn't do anything about the damage you fail to evade. A little armor on the side helps a lot.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Ok, I will write a little more about this evasion: i am now on level 47 merciless, evasion 65% with grace aura (+/- 6000 rating) + all dodge keystones (acrobatics, 4 improvements, phase acrobatics and arrow dodging).

That should give me 65% to evade all physical attacks, double chance to evade projectile attacks, 24% to dodge all physical attacks and 20% to dodge spell attacks. And what it does during play?:

In level 46 area - normal mobs hit me in 50-60% times, champions hit me in about 75% times, projectile mobs (archers and those skeletal mages) and bosses hit me in almost 100%, i could give it 90% in the last one since i may not be able to see all projectiles coming at me and being evaded...but every single shot from ranged attacks that comes to me, gives me damage.

So is my understanding of "dodge" or "evasion" somehow different?
I think you may be exaggerating how often you get hit, or you just may not be noticing all the attacks you're actually evading.

Evasion goes up against the enemy's accuracy score. If the enemy has very high accuracy, as I believe dex-based archer mobs do, your chance to evade will be relatively lower than what is actually shown in your character screen. The formula for this is as follows:

chance to hit = attacker_accuracy / ( attacker_accuracy + ((defender_evasion/4)^0.8))

With Arrow Dodging, I believe the formula is solved and then your chance to dodge is doubled from that result.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
I made quality testing before I posted this here...i always took one of a kind of those mobs and just watched how often they would hit me...and it goes to those numbers i wrote above...

With all this, how actually evasion works in game...the "chance to evade" stat is the most misleading stat in whole game... Since, as you say, every single mob has its own chance to hit you, no matter what chance to evade do you have...

I would suggest to differ it as "minimal chance to evade" and "maximal chance to evade", maybe it would be a little more clear. But this way it is really confusing and not work as it should by its primary meaning...

I was really disappointed by evasion char that I won't play evasion again...As I heard from chat etc, I am not the only one and it is a little shame, that these types of characters are not able to survive in this game..
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
They've already changed evasion to be more dependable, forcing it to automatically break streaks of failed rolls. Statistically, evasion works exactly like the game says it does. If you have 50% evasion, you're going to get hit about half the time.

Evasion doesn't do anything against spells. It helps to buff up your elemental resistances. It also doesn't do anything about the damage you fail to evade. A little armor on the side helps a lot.

The numbers he estimated don't really see that off for 6000 evasion, and plugging in estimated accuracy and including 24% dodge.

Est. Accuracy / Chance to be hit.
250/.32
500/.448
1000/.564
1500/.617
2000/.647

Not knowing the actual monster accuracy values, and assuming i didn't botch the math, seeing the numbers, its not overly surprising he would witness a high chance to be hit. The question is how high the monster accuracy actually gets in extreme cases, which are often accompanied by higher damage numbers (ege accuracy/crit aura).
"
Nemehlo, remember this principal.

*Evasion is better for smaller hits. Armor is better for large hits. This may be why it feels like elites are wrecking you.

- Also, If you get yourself a 90% evasion flask your 65% should shoot up to about 85-90%
Then you'll be dodging like you would hope.

If it doesn't shoot up to 90%, you need some better gear. Or a shield. Scratch that, you'll need a shield anyway for a 'max' evasion character. Anything you don't dodge, you'll block. Happy times.

Spoiler
lvl 47: 10,064 evasion here,
89% damage reduction: Iron reflexes. 43%to block.

so does that mean i'm screwed? i went full dex and took a couple of strengths. i'm a double wielding duelist , i'm going for a pure dps crit build but mobs at least 2 levels below hurt me pretty bad i'd die in probably 10-18 hits. my chance to evade is 41%.

my question now is is it better to have armour rather than evasion? 'cause i can still take iron reflexes later on when i grind enough levels (currently lvl 26)
Last edited by SenpaiTypeBeat on Apr 6, 2012, 10:06:25 PM
Actually, Altnaharra's got it backwards - armor actually protects less from larger hits than smaller ones. The trick is that it's easier for strength-aligned characters to get life, which tends to create a bit of a gap.
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"
"
Backwards. Oh heh!! You're right.
Then again my evasion is backwards..

With 89% damage reduction.. there is no such thing as a big hit.. I'll be quiet now.

Actually you are part right. Evasion is better against smaller hits because when they hit you don't get 1-2 shoted.

What Evasion needs is a way to survive these big hits, and my suggestion in my pure stat builds thread works with that.

Evasion is very good, but you need some common sense.

You can't every evade every single attack. So you need armor on the side.

What you are asking for is 100% evasion, since you'd get killed without damage reduction, when you finally get hit.

However, it is not hard to get f.ex. 50/50 Armor damage reduction and evasion. Which means you'll only take half the hits, for half the damage. (not accurate, but you get the point).

However, if you are melee. You plan to get stuck in a crowd of mobs. All hitting you, all the time.

10 mobs with 1 attack per second, 70% evasion. 3 hits per second will land. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Common sense dictates that you'd want some redution for that damage. Which you have the means to get.

PoE is not about min/maxing one stat/skill. In order to be successful, you need a varied skillset, and/or different protective resources.

Complaining that evasion doesn't work if that is all you stack, is like complaining that you still get killed by magic when you stack only armor, and no resist. Or whine about dying because you have no defensive properties. Just a whole ton of health points.
"That's how you die properly, Sailor Boy.."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info