Evasion progress

I have opened a thread about an idea i had, which could improve Evasion mechanics.
Basically, it makes evasion to drain your life instead of removing it instantly when you take a hit.

here's the link:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/27326/page/1/#p402339

Tell me what you guys think
Evasion does suck a bit.

I was getting 1 shot in Chaos with over 13000 evasion, and trust me I went out of the way to get items with that much eva (though I didn't spec much for it) and I had 1100 hp, which is quiet good for a ranger without kaoms.

That gave me around 70% dodge. Problem is, armor is hard to come by as a ranger, thanks to your skill tree+gemcolors on items. I decided to respec arrow dodging (which felt like it did nada), for Iron Reflexes, and it made a world of difference.

70% dodge vs 83% dmg reduction - a no-contest.
Traditionally, evasion belongs to DPS-type classes as an alternative to wearing heavy armor, because it gives them greater agility in their specified role. These guys aren't supposed to take much damage because thats what the "tanks" are for.

The problem here is that in PoE there are no defined roles between "tank", "dps" and "support", unless a party is specifically setup for that purpose.

Generally, everyone deals damage and receives damage. Which simply means that armor is the better choice over evasion in pretty much every situation.

Unless there are established roles in parties (dps, tank), the evasion system right now is not ideal. Iron Reflexes is a no-brainer for any evasion-wearer who wants to go into the highest difficulties.
IGN: Sonalia, Arkimond
Last edited by Tommerbob on Apr 12, 2012, 9:19:30 AM
I can also say that my marauder sucks because i have a lot armor but no +hitpoints and i die to fast.

Focus on only ONE defense is garbage. And this is obvious.
Noone says you have to go an evasion only build. Also the skill tree doesn't say, "if u start in dex area, dont wear any armor/es gear!".

If you stick to maximised dps, which is possible like max defense, you sacrifice other stats. Thats also obvious.

I mean, do you really pick only dps nodes and wonder later on if you die fast? This is ridiculous.

Evasion is a good addition to mitigation. In the dex area you can increase it easier than in other area. Also quiet obvious.

Defenses need the same importance like all other dps increases, otherwise you just can remove them and create a dps only skilltree. How boring :(

Also the evasion must be different to armor and not just do the same but with an other name. Overall it does the same and thats what count.
English is my third language, there will be bugs.
I think it would be more sense to treat Evasion as something like Chance to Block, which Diablo 2 did.

I mean it's just a tad bit overdone with armors giving No Armor, and just evasion. Doesn't even make any sense.

All armors should give ARMOR and let them simply have some sort of stat which either allows evasion or doesn't.

As in, go Heavy Armor, get lots of dam reduction, but evasion is impossible.
Or go light armor, still get SOME dam reduction, but you can evade to the maximum of your ability.

Evasion should be given as a passive skill IMO. Something you take to compliment a light armor character.

As of right now it does not reflect the stat properly at all.
I've been running around with my 40% evasion for a while now and I rarely see the animation. .

Some thoughts...
I just posted in the alpha forum a week ago or so on this same subject. Pure evasion is imo, broken, or just quite simply a sandtrap build.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
I think this solution would just be Awesome:

Evasion given out as a Passive Ability.

Evasion is a flat out fixed ability that works equally all times and against all monsters (Perhaps not Bosses, reduced to some extent). So you will always evade the designated amount of time.
The skill would most likely be capped off, at let's say 50%. Or the skills would be so spread out, that it would be nigh impossible to have a functioning build based around max. evasion.

So basically you could observe the skill tree and plan for an evasive character build.

There should probably be a close by something like 10% evasion Passive near all character start points to give everyone a chance to get some evasion right off the bat.

After which they would be more spread out, but still obtainable to some extent for all "logical" character builds.

But a complete evasion character would indeed be a crazy but Extremely interesting build.

Armor:

All Armors give the armor rating. Reducing physical damage like it is done now.

Armor classes will have a fixed evasion rate.

Example:

Plate Mail - Very high Armor but Evasion rating 0% (No matter how much Evasion Passives you have taken, it will not work)

Leather Armor - Low Armor but Evasion rating 100% (Your evasion works as intended)

Mage Robes - No armor, High Energy Shield, Evasion rating 100%.

And then there is everything in between.

So a heavy armor melee character will not see much use in taking Evasion skills at all, while All mages and rangers will most likely invest a good amount into it.

----

IMO this is how I've always imagined how things would both logically and technically work.

The current system is INTERESTING, but alas doesn't work properly.

So in the beginning mages and rangers might experiment with Heavier armors due to the armor bonus, but the reduced movement speed and lack of evasion ability would most likely make their use soon a moot point.

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Last edited by Archangel591 on Apr 12, 2012, 5:22:00 PM
There are already items with armor/evasion or armor/energy shield/evasion.

The only problem i see is that a 75% armor guy has time to use flask for regen and a 75% evasion guy not. If both would be a 1 hit with 0 armor. But the evasion guy avoid stun or damn chill effects by ice enchanted.

Both have advantages and disadvantages, thats fine! :>

Someone mentioned an up to 99% evasion.
This wouldn't help at all, the rng event for a onehit is possible at all.

Its better to cap evasion at 75%. So ppl will start to go for mixed gear by themself earlier.

English is my third language, there will be bugs.
One day i though they should make evasion like they did with movement speed on armors.
Basicaly if you run almost naked you will be more flexible and evade easier than wearing any armor.

Also what Archangel said ,i wrote the same long time ago.
Every armor should give armor ,its not like leather dont give any protection ,it always do as long as you wear something ,even a pot on ur head could protect you from arrow.
Anyway back to the evasion reduction on armor wear.

Lets say if you run naked you got 60% evasion chance FOR FREE ,just like that ,just like you can run without gear in game. Also it will give to every armor not only armor value but also evasion value.

STR armor stats:
- high armor
- low evasion
- 5% pure DR per part(+20%)
- -3% run speed per part (-12% in full wear)
- -15% evasion per part (-60%)

DEX armor stats:
- low armor
- high evasion
- -0% run speed per part (-0%)
- -5% evasion per part (-20%)

INT armor stats:
- low armor
- low evasion
- high ES
- -0% run speed per part (-0%)
- -7% evasion per part (-28%)

DEX/INT :
-low armor
-medium ES
-medium evasion
- -1% run speed per part (-4%)
- -6% evasion per part (-24%)

DEX/STR :
- medium armor
- medium evasion
- 3% pure DR per part (+12%)
- -2% run speed per part (-8%)
- -10% evasion per part (-40%)

INT/STR:
- medium armor
- medium ES
- low evasion
- 4% pure DR per part(+16%)
- -2% run speed per part (-8%)
- -12% evasion per part (-48%)

Items still will give you EVASION so you can get more than just the one that you get for FREE ,also make you actualy change armor with the game progress.

By high/medium/low stat i mean something like that (stats that you should have without any other boosts to them ,just for wearing the armor set):
- low armor = ~20% mitigation
- medium armor = ~35% mitigation
- high armor = ~50% mitigation

-low evasion = ~10% evade chance
-medium evasion = ~20% evade chance
-high evasion = ~30% evade chance

-pure DR = pure dmg reduction that isnt lowered even by hard hits

-pure evasion = evasion you get left from the 60% free after equiping armor set ,also cant be reduced by enemy accuracy ,giving you guaranteed minimal chance to evade

With this you would end up ,pure STR vs pure DEX vs pure INT armor set:

DEX vs STR vs INT
0 vs 0 vs high energy shield (dunno exact value of ES)
~20% vs ~50% vs ~20% mitigation
~30% vs ~10% vs ~10% chance to evade
0% vs 12% vs 0% run speed penalty
0% vs 20% vs 0% pure DR
40% vs 0% vs 32% pure evasion

With all stats being possible to increase even futher via skills and gear. Giving possiblit for INT char to get even higher ES ,DEX char 90% evasion and STR char 90% mitigation.
Last edited by herflik on Apr 13, 2012, 5:53:51 AM
"
Archangel591 wrote:
As of right now it does not reflect the stat properly at all.
I've been running around with my 40% evasion for a while now and I rarely see the animation.

There is no evade animation, the enemy just whiffs.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info