Will there be a new atlas every league now?

"
Kellog wrote:
"
Antigegner wrote:
I'm trying to find an explanation from GGG as to why they want/need to change the map series every league now. Have you guys found anything?

Chris from the most recent Baeclast: Transcript

"
It's a full scramble. The goal here is diversity so you can't expect the same layout, the same maps in the same places. Obviously there's restrictions where the ones with crazy bosses have to go near the end, and ones with baby bosses have to go near the start, but the intention is replayability, because things are subtly different league to league, the pathing is different and so on. This is a thing we're trying to do, we've come up with tools for it now, where we think that we'll actually extend player retention in maps by having them be different, you're not subconsciously getting bored by them. It's maybe a boring game designer thing to do in the background, but we think it's been helping so far. We'll continue to do that.
ok just give us always new map tab and make old remove only. And i'm good.
i will tell you why they did it. it is a pure money grab. i think they decided to mask it behind some bullshit explanation like: we want to keep atlas fresh for you guys. load of horseshit.
they simply decided that the outcry will not be profound and will die down and people will jsut buy mroe map tabs as a result of their behavior.

i will be honest, i think they think it is working.

however, i too have a suggestion. I know all of you will not like it but check this out. i think when they made the map tab they made it too large.

what if we accept them shrinking down the tabs from 72 maps each down to 36 or 24. i know some of you have far larger map pools. but if they shrunk it down then they could say that for vast pools people can buy another tab or just reduce their existing pools by occasional conversion....

I would accept that as a compromise.
Shitysushi - Arrow shooting build.
Sendeliriante - hollow palmer
"
Kellog wrote:
"
Antigegner wrote:
I'm trying to find an explanation from GGG as to why they want/need to change the map series every league now. Have you guys found anything?

Chris from the most recent Baeclast: Transcript

"
It's a full scramble. The goal here is diversity so you can't expect the same layout, the same maps in the same places. Obviously there's restrictions where the ones with crazy bosses have to go near the end, and ones with baby bosses have to go near the start, but the intention is replayability, because things are subtly different league to league, the pathing is different and so on. This is a thing we're trying to do, we've come up with tools for it now, where we think that we'll actually extend player retention in maps by having them be different, you're not subconsciously getting bored by them. It's maybe a boring game designer thing to do in the background, but we think it's been helping so far. We'll continue to do that.

They really believe this is something that would add any kind of excitement to the game? I don't even notice their shuffling when I melt down bosses. Unless it's the really heavy hitters, but those don't get really shuffled a lot anyways...This makes no sense to me.

And pissing off players with that map-stash-tab-scam sure as hell doesn't make me feel excited about playing or paying...
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646
Last edited by Antigegner on Mar 15, 2019, 12:56:45 AM
"
RitualMurder wrote:
atlas on standard should not change. period.

I totally disagree, mixing things up can be a breath of fresh air.

There are enough simple fixes people suggested to allow std players to also enjoy this shakeup.
Your suggestion would add to the code complexity and would also screw over players who dabble in both leagues and std.
-1 for the effort
May your maps be bountiful, exile
"
SisterBlister wrote:
"
RitualMurder wrote:

There are enough simple fixes people suggested to allow std players to also enjoy this shakeup.
Your suggestion would add to the code complexity and would also screw over players who dabble in both leagues and std.
-1 for the effort

every once in a while sure change is good
not every 3 months....
(سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س
"
RitualMurder wrote:
Spoiler
"
SisterBlister wrote:
"
RitualMurder wrote:

-1 for the effort

every once in a while sure change is good
not every 3 months....

Even every 3 months, change can be welcomed, as long as it's done "right".

The passive skill tree gets a "free reset" every 3 months, but most of the time, you're allowed to "opt in". Such a solution would make all the complains regarding the Atlas shuffle redundant.

The map tab should also come with at least a "convert all" button, and if they would implement that and make the latest league map tab a remove only, there would not be even a single disgruntled player on Standard, as both collectors and players could enjoy DAY 1 the "new" x.x.x version...

But such "minimal common sense" aspects are above TencentGGG capabilities, as the "technology isn't here yet". They need to get the "news flash" that in said specific scenario, it's their goddamn JOB to make sure they have the right technology at hand, before implementing even more half @$$ed, half baked "revolutionary mechanics"...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Mar 15, 2019, 3:59:59 AM
"
sofocle10000 wrote:
The map tab should also come with at least a "convert all" button

The question (from actual view) is: which map tab, any/all?

"
and if they would implement that and make the latest league map tab a remove only

The 'latest league map tab' is always a 'remove only' after the migration.

-what if the player has skipped the last league?
-what if the player skips the new league?
-what do with older maps, not placed in map tab(s)?
-what do with all old, remove only map tabs with legacy maps?

and for the conversion itself:
-how handle the change map type "#1..#n" of any tier into 'new' type "#A...X'? It seems to be stable with the actual iteration change, but there were changes that lead to different amount of maps in a given tier...

My idea on this would be to:
-change all existing map tabs into remove only (if not already R/O)
-place a new, empty map tab with each atlas change,
-this new map tab auto-converts any 'legacy' map we push in, into a random actual map of the same tier, based on the same rules as the upgrade recipe.
Since I already noticed that some old map mods 'auto-adjust', I see no issues for handling existing affixes while converting.

It will be obviously a huge effort if you have large amount of maps, but I think it is the best/(only?) way for a full control about your map pool with 'no loss'.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
"
Antigegner wrote:

https://www.pathofexile.com/shop/category/stash-tabs#microtransaction-MapTab
"War's over, soldier. You just don't know it yet. Everybody lost."
"
Mr_Cee wrote:
Spoiler
"
sofocle10000 wrote:
The map tab should also come with at least a "convert all" button

The question (from actual view) is: which map tab, any/all?

"
and if they would implement that and make the latest league map tab a remove only

The 'latest league map tab' is always a 'remove only' after the migration.

-what if the player has skipped the last league?
-what if the player skips the new league?
-what do with older maps, not placed in map tab(s)?
-what do with all old, remove only map tabs with legacy maps?

and for the conversion itself:
-how handle the change map type "#1..#n" of any tier into 'new' type "#A...X'? It seems to be stable with the actual iteration change, but there were changes that lead to different amount of maps in a given tier...

My idea on this would be to:
-change all existing map tabs into remove only (if not already R/O)
-place a new, empty map tab with each atlas change,
-this new map tab auto-converts any 'legacy' map we push in, into a random actual map of the same tier, based on the same rules as the upgrade recipe.
Since I already noticed that some old map mods 'auto-adjust', I see no issues for handling existing affixes while converting.

It will be obviously a huge effort if you have large amount of maps, but I think it is the best/(only?) way for a full control about your map pool with 'no loss'.

May I remind you that I was talking about Standard, and my proposed solution would actually apply the "latest league map tab" rule to Standard too, due to Atlas shuffling every 3 months.

ALL "latest league" map tabs should come with a "convert all" button, and you could then use it to get that tab to the current Atlas edition. Sure, it might require Standard players to actually manage their tab ONCE for EVERY Atlas shuffle, but it would also enable them to experience DAY 1 the goddamn content.

League map tabs could have that specific button removed/grey out.

And for this conversion, the ratio of conversion would be 1 legacy map of a set tier, for 1 current edition map of same tier.

Heck, they could even add an "epic" animation for the process if they're so inclined...

PS: This solves the problem for collectors/players that might want to start from 0 their new "experience" and would still allow TencentGGG to keep multiple map tab purchases relevant (as you can then justify at least 1 tab for selling maps, beside the main one).
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Mar 15, 2019, 8:04:44 AM
I feel for standard I really do sorta.
Toss a ccin to your WITCHER?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info