can we please stop the power creep, already? (or better - reverse it)

"
karoollll2534 wrote:

Do you really find repeating exactly one attack against single group of monsters more entertaining than what we have right now?

replace "single group of monsters" with "boss" in your question, answer it, then replace "boss" back with single group of monsters.

do you see the answer now ? if not, not sure how much more spelled out you want it to be

"

I really don't understand it. POE is not a strategy game, you don't have multiple of choices how to approach your enemy. Slowing things down would literally mean holding attack skill for few seconds instead of clicking once and enjoying visual animation and sound of enemies dying (shatter).

if you dont get the concept of enemies fighting back...not sure anyone can help you understand.
"
robmafia wrote:
re: darkest dungeon

to be fair, you could just use some hybrid classes like the ballista/plague doctor and a melee class with heal (templar or whatever it was called, leper). but yeah.

Or put Vestal in 2-nd position, etc. But in fights VS challenging enemies, that doesnt work. Vestal is too squishy to stand in frontline VS strong enemies, and Crusader or Arbalest alone cant heal enough HP if party is taking serious damage. Sure, i can have 2 characters healing instead of one, but why should i replace one of damage dealers with 2-nd healer when i can simply take a dedicated healer, that can heal everything solo? Plague Doctor is nice for saving time curing diseases, bleeds and blight, but i can use Grave Robber to cure diseases instead, and few consumables to cure blight/bleed when it's needed (and it doesnt even cost turn).

"
robmafia wrote:

more importantly, darkest didn't actually require any strategy. it was just made to appear that way. once you figured out the real mechanics of it (ie: everyone is truly expendable and you just need 16 people to send to their deaths [4x4]...), it really didn't make much difference.

Well, it requires certain strategy in group composition & item pickup sometimes - certain enemies are a total nightmare for certain class(es), and can be completely countered by another class(es). For example, Garden Guardian is an absolute nightmare to DoT classes like Flagellant or Plague Doctor, but is completely countered by Shieldbreaker & Grave Robber, that use armor-piercing physical attacks and certain moves to avoid his nasty mechanics (Shieldbreaker can just break his guard, and Grave Robber can use Shadow Fade to boost her damage when boss uses block, and then release a massive blow when he's exposed).

"
grepman wrote:

but starting with armored princess, the difficulty is so easy even on harder ones you have to handicap yourself and do some shit like 'battles with no losses at all' to even stay interested. otherwise you just wipe everything.

and people ACTUALLY argue its good design. smh. the only people who can possibly think that is those who never play on high difficulties, people who are interested to make the game appeal to as wide audience as possible, or people who are ignorant

Armored Princess is easy? Lolwut? I've played Crossworlds (essentially, an expansion to AP), and i was forced to abuse game mechanics to its fullest (e.g. pulling enemies to steal treasure/maps whenever possible, stacking 95% physical/fire resist on my units VS certain enemies cause otherwise my miserable army get wiped in an instant to overwhelming horde of enemies (and those enemies MUST be defeated to complete story quest), and so on. Sure, i know i've played on maximum difficulty setting, so i got exactly what i've subscribed for. I complained a little that game forces me to abuse so unfair mechanics, but otherwise, it would have beed simply IMPOSSIBLE to beat.

WotN is just a cakewalk compared to that. There is no need to pull enemies to steal their items to survive early - just fight them & grab loot. There is no need to abuse 95% resistance stacking, or change setups like gloves to accomodate hard enemy - if you have quite balanced setup, it will be enough for allmost all fights. Really, i'd say that AP feels like +2 to difficulty slider, if compared with WotN.

P.S. About "battle with no losses". To be honest, there is a fine line between "battle with no losses" and "complete lose". I tried to avoid losses as often as it was possible when playing AP, and exactly because of that i earned large enough sum of gold to afford several setups (including crazy 95% resist stacking) to beat certain nasty enemies. And because i hardtried to complete all early battle without losses, i gained a bonus to leadership for it early, allowing me to withstand tougher enemies. And even despite i saved some precious units as much as i could (demonologists), they still happened to expire (cause world spawned without enough of them available for hire, lul), so i had to abuse sacrifice/ressurection to get enough of them....

IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Nov 15, 2018, 4:53:31 PM
Spoiler
Nobody talked about abyss jewels yet lul
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

Armored Princess is easy? Lolwut? I've played Crossworlds (essentially, an expansion to AP), and i was forced to abuse game mechanics to its fullest (e.g. pulling enemies to steal treasure/maps whenever possible, stacking 95% physical/fire resist on my units VS certain enemies cause otherwise my miserable army get wiped in an instant to overwhelming horde of enemies (and those enemies MUST be defeated to complete story quest), and so on. Sure, i know i've played on maximum difficulty setting, so i got exactly what i've subscribed for. I complained a little that game forces me to abuse so unfair mechanics, but otherwise, it would have beed simply IMPOSSIBLE to beat.

yes its dumb easy past like the first island. first island youre expected to explore and minmax first.

good thing I didnt play wotn, yikes
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

Or put Vestal in 2-nd position, etc. But in fights VS challenging enemies, that doesnt work. Vestal is too squishy to stand in frontline VS strong enemies, and Crusader or Arbalest alone cant heal enough HP if party is taking serious damage. Sure, i can have 2 characters healing instead of one, but why should i replace one of damage dealers with 2-nd healer when i can simply take a dedicated healer, that can heal everything solo? Plague Doctor is nice for saving time curing diseases, bleeds and blight, but i can use Grave Robber to cure diseases instead, and few consumables to cure blight/bleed when it's needed (and it doesnt even cost turn).

Well, it requires certain strategy in group composition & item pickup sometimes - certain enemies are a total nightmare for certain class(es), and can be completely countered by another class(es). For example, Garden Guardian is an absolute nightmare to DoT classes like Flagellant or Plague Doctor, but is completely countered by Shieldbreaker & Grave Robber, that use armor-piercing physical attacks and certain moves to avoid his nasty mechanics (Shieldbreaker can just break his guard, and Grave Robber can use Shadow Fade to boost her damage when boss uses block, and then release a massive blow when he's exposed).

you're overthinking. the game wasn't really that hard and you weren't supposed to keep everyone alive. like i said, it was only about getting 16 chars leveled up to basically send them to their deaths.

i found stress management to be the hardest part about it.

sure, if one used strategy and set up favorable matchups, it would be easier. but it was pretty unnecessary, in my experience.

"
Nobody talked about abyss jewels yet lul

i figured they went without saying. i didn't really mention the specific power boosts from the previous leagues, i figured we were all in agreement that they were/are power creep (apparently not, it seems) and was trying to focus on the incoming creep.
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
Last edited by robmafia on Nov 15, 2018, 5:07:34 PM
"
grepman wrote:

yes its dumb easy past like the first island. first island youre expected to explore and minmax first.

good thing I didnt play wotn, yikes

Yeah, if AP felt easy for you (for me, it felt kinda fine, and even after "minmaxing 1-st island", it still had many nasty surprises for me)... I can imagine all the curses you'd say when playing WotN. (it's like playing a white T8 map after 8-modded T16)...
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Nov 15, 2018, 5:02:40 PM
"
robmafia wrote:

you're overthinking. the game wasn't really that hard and you weren't supposed to keep everyone alive. like i said, it was only about getting 16 chars leveled up to basically send them to their deaths.

i found stress management to be the hardest part about it.

sure, if one used strategy and set up favorable matchups, it would be easier. but it was pretty unnecessary, in my experience.

Well, that's why i put Jester as "mandatory" class. He's the only one, who can deal with massive amounts of stress, and can even cure afflicted characters. And at the same time, he's a decent damage dealer and strong offensive support (when stress heal isnt needed)...

I dont see how "sending characters to deaths" might help to win the game. You characters have to succeed through 4 story quests in Darkest Dungeon. If they die during quest and fail, it wont be completed, you know... Sure, "quest dungeon" isnt really so hard if you accomodate to its features, and if you fail due to RNG, you can level up new "cannon fodder" and try again... Though for inappropriate setups, those quests are a nightmare. A party of members who can effectively act only from certain positions, will get totally wrecked by Shuffling Horror, for example.

In PoE, it feels inappropriate to think about such things as changing setups to accomodate certain encounters. At best, some players change setups to accomodate certain nasty map mods (like, using Brutality gem VS elemental reflect or Dyadian Dawn VS physical, etc.). And even worse - most efficient way of farming is grinding easy content at supersonic speeds....

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Nov 15, 2018, 5:21:55 PM
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

Well, that's why i put Jester as "mandatory" class. He's the only one, who can deal with massive amounts of stress, and can even cure afflicted characters. And at the same time, he's a decent damage dealer and strong offensive support (when stress heal isnt needed)...

I dont see how "sending characters to deaths" might help to win the game. You characters have to succeed through 4 story quests in Darkest Dungeon. If they die during quest and fail, it wont be completed, you know... Sure, "quest dungeon" isnt really so hard if you accomodate to its features, and if you fail due to RNG, you can level up new "cannon fodder" and try again...

yeah, but only 1 has to be alive. and then... well, the char is (are chars are) essentially dead.
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
Last edited by robmafia on Nov 15, 2018, 5:18:18 PM
Are you guys talking about pre-expansion DD?

Last time I played around that time and there were tons of strategies that worked. Mark team was super strong, stress healers weren't necessary as long as your offense was good enough to crit often

Hound master and bounty hunter were retarded. 4 hm teams were killing it.

DD is really a game where rng makes the game. Cause otherwise too easy to find solutions. Well that and constant dev buffs nerfs to things I guess.
I don't get this nerf all the things mentality. If it's too easy play ssf Hc or private leagues guys. You know you can get -40% res and other mods? Do that instead of complaining here. I mean private leagues were added for you, you know that right?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info