can we please stop the power creep, already? (or better - reverse it)

"
karoollll2534 wrote:
Since op wasn't that nice to answer my 2 questions I want to ask same two question to anybody willing to answer:

1)
"
Do you really find repeating exactly one attack against single group of monsters more entertaining than what we have right now?

My whole post
Spoiler

Do you really find repeating exactly one attack against single group of monsters more entertaining than what we have right now?
I really don't understand it. POE is not a strategy game, you don't have multiple of choices how to approach your enemy. Slowing things down would literally mean holding attack skill for few seconds instead of clicking once and enjoying visual animation and sound of enemies dying (shatter).

When i play games like XCOM or darkest dungeon single battle can last few minutes because everything i do matters and most importantly i have many different viable options. In POE there is no strategy, situational choice or variation. You would just hold attack button for few seconds and that's all. I really can't find it interesting.

2)
"
So how do you want to reasonably use more than one skill at once?

^ my question after reading this post:
Spoiler
"
"
...thinks we should only use 1 skill.

yup, it's poe 2018.

do you think we only have 1 button or something?

you pasted that crap again... as if we can only have one button to use. or only one skill gem.

[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
"
robmafia wrote:

do you think we only have 1 button or something?

you pasted that crap again... as if we can only have one button to use. or only one skill gem.

And you responded with your "crap" again not giving any real answers. You only talk how bad "power creep" is bad while it seems you don't even have a slightest idea on what you really want.

Can you answer my question: "How to reasonably use more than one skill at once" or you really have no idea so you just complain for the sake of complaining.
Last edited by karoollll2534 on Nov 15, 2018, 12:32:26 PM
step 1. curse
step 2. drop totem
step 3. use primary attack/spell
step 4. use secondary attack/spell, preferably one which complements the above.

step x. move to manually avoid incoming damage/to hit moving/blocked targets, when needed. which would hopefully be often.

or etc

wow, much hard. how could anyone possibly use more than 1 button in this game? unpossible!
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

Last edited by robmafia on Nov 15, 2018, 1:01:01 PM
I play hardcore

with any amount of power creep it keeps me on my toes
I dont see any any key!
"
Fruz wrote:

Dota is a purely PvP game though, so the comparison is not very relevant.

I didn't even mean that PoE and Dota should have identical balancing. These are indeed games of different genres, which need different approach.

Just been pointing out how balancing can be done right and wrong, in general.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
"
grepman wrote:

not like normal is for retards, easy is for complete retards, hard is for honorary retards and extreme is barely passable for normal

Yeah, it remided me "King's Bounty - Warriors of the North", its difficulty slider had exactly the same meaning for me - even on highest difficulty setting, it felt as "normal" (if i dont pick retarded "mage" class, which is so weak that counts as +1 to difficulty slider).
But at least is had a slider. PoE has none.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
karoollll2534 wrote:

When i play games like XCOM or darkest dungeon single battle can last few minutes because everything i do matters and most importantly i have many different viable options. In POE there is no strategy, situational choice or variation. You would just hold attack button for few seconds and that's all. I really can't find it interesting.[/spoiler]

Battle lasts for few minutes because those games are turn-based, and often are just "dragging time" with slow animations. When i got familiar with those games, the lion's share of my time in combat was wasted on stupid animations.

Yes, there is so much variety in Darkest Dungeon, that among 16 classes, two (Vestal & Jester) are nearly MANDATORY for ANY party to succeed in dire fights, occupying 3-rd and 4-th slot. All other classes, designed for those slots (3-4), are literaly rendered useless therefore! The remaining 14 classes compete for remaining 2 slots in party (1-st and 2-nd). Except few rare cases, all "situational choice" is about what melee fighters (1-st & 2-nd slot) to take with you this time...
In X-COM, i hadnt seen much "situational choice" either - at least, in X-Com 3 (a version i've played).

And both X-COM and Darkest Dungeon are kinda heavy biased towards RNG. You can perform perfect preparation, setup & strategy, but RNG favor to enemies can mean wipe to your team (or at least,few deaths of beloved characters), happened to me few times...
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
re: darkest dungeon

to be fair, you could just use some hybrid classes like the ballista/plague doctor and a melee class with heal (templar or whatever it was called, leper). but yeah.

more importantly, darkest didn't actually require any strategy. it was just made to appear that way. once you figured out the real mechanics of it (ie: everyone is truly expendable and you just need 16 people to send to their deaths [4x4]...), it really didn't make much difference.
[Removed by Support]

"
demon9675 wrote:
Yeah I'm gonna blow your minds: the power creep isn't for the average/casual players, it's for the top players.

nonsense.

for average player, the difference between going through acts back in 2013 vs now is humongous.

so what you just said is absolutely and clearly FALSE

power creep is average ratio of average player power vs average content

you cannot tell me with a straight face that clearing a random act 2 area or some rares in 2013 was faster than it is now. because that is clearly false; yet, the content of act 2 is...wait for it...exactly the same

the problem with power creep is that it destroys PAST content making it routine. this is a problem with developing the game vertically as opposed to horizontally
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

not like normal is for retards, easy is for complete retards, hard is for honorary retards and extreme is barely passable for normal

Yeah, it remided me "King's Bounty - Warriors of the North", its difficulty slider had exactly the same meaning for me - even on highest difficulty setting, it felt as "normal" (if i dont pick retarded "mage" class, which is so weak that counts as +1 to difficulty slider).
But at least is had a slider. PoE has none.

kings bounty is a great example

anyone who loves homm and some rpg elements (or homm4 like I do) or the original kings bounty likely would like the new king bounty games

but starting with armored princess, the difficulty is so easy even on harder ones you have to handicap yourself and do some shit like 'battles with no losses at all' to even stay interested. otherwise you just wipe everything.

and people ACTUALLY argue its good design. smh. the only people who can possibly think that is those who never play on high difficulties, people who are interested to make the game appeal to as wide audience as possible, or people who are ignorant

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info