can we please stop the power creep, already? (or better - reverse it)

I don't think it is reversible. It's time for a new game.
The game is really going full d3 with summoners.
Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Sep 18, 2019, 5:22:29 AM
"
Kulze wrote:
"
MrsDeath_ wrote:

I dont think wow's quest based system is a good comparison for poe's drop based system. Two are completely different.

But not mutually exclusive. Or why do we have quests in the first place then? It's the only thing making it an RPG after all, allowing you to get into an actual role.
In PoE you are the savior of Wraeclast, you take care of the issues which most thought weren't able to be tackled, or didn't even want to be tackled at all. Eramir is a good example of that.

Don't you think the similarity between in-game story and the actual behavior in the forum is fairly striking? This huge looming problem where half the people say 'it's fine' half the other people say 'I'm unhappy but don't know what to do about it' and only a few people are actually trying to tackle the underlying issues?

That's exactly it.
If an ARPG isn't offering action then it's garbage... we have that plenty.
If an ARPG isn't offering Roleplay... it's garbage too, we don't have that a lot right now... hence PoE is in a fairly bad state for the genre, even with all the awesome mechanics we have. They are trivialized, nearly bumped into oblivion by now.

But you're right, we don't need 'kill x of that' and 'fetch me x of that' type of quests, what we need is engaging story-telling to make every action matter and immerse ourself into the game-world.
Why so?
Because otherwise the game is nothing more then arcade-type loot-simulator. And if you're only out for loot then lootboxes do the job just fine as well, there's a difference between that and why an ARPG is successful though, and PoE doesn't do a fine job in this regard, absolutely not.

You see... most MMOs have a looter-aspect like PoE does, this doesn't make PoE what PoE though, the focus is much more on killing small quantities of enemies and having more tactical choice there.
PoE also isn't a looter-type bullet-hell. Though it is very close to one.

What it definitely isn't though is a mixture between both, which basically is the hack'n'slay looter-type ARPG which has been established since ages. We have more similarities between complex-structured dungeon-crawlers right now, focusing purely on progressing steadily rather then putting a focus on the things around us.
Mobs could be the same no matter which one you pick now, a single 'blob' probably would suffice for most builds, it makes literally no difference. So why have the variety at all?
A single melee, caster and archer build would suffice as well by now.. as the majority plays tornado shot, winter orb or molten strike anyway for obvious reasons... could get rid of the others all together by now sadly.
Our content offers no play-variance from Act 1 to T16, could basically have the same zone which scales with us over and over as well in this state... and the other type of content unlocked there simply.

Though why don't we have that? To literally trick us into thinking we got a large amount of content... which we don't.
Grim Dawn offers area-specific enemies and damage types, all of them matter.
WoW offers specific story-related things for each area (well.. it did mostly), which we don't have after Act 10 at all and very lackluster from Act 5-10.
Final Fantasy XIV offers a massive build-variety, vastly superior to what PoE has as viable options (Probably the reason why it's more successful then PoE, WoW, Grim Dawn and Eve Online taken together shown by Google Trends).

Don't get me wrong here though, I absolutely adore the game, and I'm here since years. That's also the reason why I started to write in the Forum after all, the game I knew became ever less rather then more... and since I am invested into it.. I want it to succeed, I want it to get 'better'... but each patch I see the same mistakes being repeated over.. and over.. and over.
Well... to be fair sometimes they add new issues.

So much this. Repetitive grinding gets really boring with time.
Quest/Story based content is what i really miss.

Tho some people will always care only about items, to do more damage, and ofc as always to have the best possible character, following streamers or meta builds is all for them.
Grind, grind, grind for hours after hours to get rich, and this is the game for them. If they can they will skip everything and just goes for the grinding so they can get rich asap and thats all they care.

To me this is boring as f*****.

As far as power creep goes i also think its a problem and the mechanics its just right click, and zero skill(micro) involved. This is definitely not enjoyable.
And the way the state of the game is right now, you just skip map bosses, because they are usless, the drop from them is usless and there is a chance some of them to kills you. Zero effort/reward.
Most ppl just skip bossing, because gives nothing, just a risk to lose plenty of hours if you die and of course you lose precious time for your one place grind.
I still dont get how is that any fun at all ....

I get a big break from the game, but as i see the game its kinda the same. There is some new content, but they are the same, just kill mobs asap.
Still in a process of thinking should i come back or try some interesting MMORPG.

Last edited by lordlosh on Sep 18, 2019, 7:43:46 AM
lolz @ skitterbots
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
literal faceroll.
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

I just noticed that they buffed rebuke of the vaal unique sword in 3.7.0 .... it's potentially a 1000+ dps one handed weapon now, literally, the global dps :

714.6 (lowest roll) to 1099.0 (highest roll)

WTF

It's completely insane -__-"

It used to be a ~350 dps weapon, which was not bad but hard to really use as the damage was physical, elemental and chaos.
So they tripled its dmg ....

PoE balance in 2019
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Sep 22, 2019, 2:02:59 AM
"
robmafia wrote:
literal faceroll.

That word does not mean what you think it means. It literally means something different.

"
Fruz wrote:
I just noticed that they buffed rebuke of the vaal unique sword in 3.7.0 .... it's potentially a 1000+ dps one handed weapon now, literally, the global dps :

714.6 (lowest roll) to 1099.0 (highest roll)

WTF

It's completely insane -__-"

It used to be a ~350 dps weapon, which was not bad but hard to really use as the damage was physical, elemental and chaos.
So they tripled its dmg ....

PoE balance in 2019

And furthermore, the thing is, with such a frequent patch release schedule (which itself is the target of much criticism), it would be entirely viable for them to take a gentler and more iterative approach to balance.

Say, for example, they imposed a rule that, with the exception of correcting large mistakes, all buffs and nerfs do not exceed 20%. It might take longer to get any one individual item or skill to its ideal state of relative strength or weakness by doing so, but it arguably would take much less time to get the entire game to an ideal balanced state by doing so.

It would also negate the current absolutely ridiculous state of yo-yo balancing.

...that is, assuming that GGG has any interest whatsoever in having a balanced game in which players can choose from a wide variety of genuinely competitive build archetypes.

Ha.

Ha.

Ha.

And that brings us to the crux of the issue: Why doesn't GGG have any interest in bringing the game to a state of approximate balance (or, for the sake of argument, anything other than the current ridiculous antibalance)?

Is it, as some have suggested, a tactic married to MTX marketing?

Is it, as others have suggested, a benign (if perhaps misguided) desire to encourage players to try new things?

Or is it, as yet others have suggested, a consequence of gross incompetence?

Of the three, I'd say #3 is the least likely. So that leaves #1 or #2.
Wash your hands, Exile!
I also think that #3 is the least likely, but I also now think that there is some of #3 in there, really.

Some things also are a bit ... enigmatic honestly, like ... when they reworked "cold damage over time" etc .... it really seemed like put more convoluted stuff in an already really convoluted game .... for the sake of it ?
I mean ... what ? The poison rework already was going in a way that isn't interesting but needlessly confusing, while not seemingly making the game easier to balance.

As if this was the only way to get rid of double dipping.

The cold dot changes felt exactly the same way, sometimes I really feel like the people in charge of the balance are just not the same and are just like kids hyped over a new toy that somebody else made, wondering how to make it 'better', it's honestly what GGG's balancing feels like to me, at least for the past couple of leagues.

"
gibbousmoon wrote:
"
robmafia wrote:
literal faceroll.

That word does not mean what you think it means. It literally means something different.

I lol'd, that was a good one.

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
"
robmafia wrote:
literal faceroll.

it's not so easy i can play the game with rolling my face on the keyboard?
[Removed by Support]

Last edited by robmafia on Sep 22, 2019, 3:51:15 PM
Power creep is literally destroying builds that have existed since i started playing and making uniques and many other things including ascendancy completely useless, How is this thread to 84 pages without any response from GGG at any level.
Innocence forgives you

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info