can we please stop the power creep, already? (or better - reverse it)

I think this video is great explanation of the issue with power creep. People love getting more power, but it is a slippery slope. If you let it go too long you end up with people abandoning the game as there is no real drive to keep playing if the average player can beat everything in a week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxszx60ZwGw
"
Artophwar wrote:
I think this video is great explanation of the issue with power creep. People love getting more power, but it is a slippery slope. If you let it go too long you end up with people abandoning the game as there is no real drive to keep playing if the average player can beat everything in a week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxszx60ZwGw

Oh for how many years?
Still here?
Oh yeah of course we're still mr.bob here thinks we going to abandon
oh
ok

Oh btw average players can't even pass yellow maps most of the time you claim this power makes them into super god tier gamers hahahaha that's funny with that being said it is as Fruz has stated.

It is impossible to reverse the power creep right now yet some of you keep crying about it knowing full well they aren't going to do anything. Power flows in everyone but most people in this game don't even know how to wield that ''power'' see how cheesy I made that? It is true.

I mean really you got people going DIS GAME IS TOO HARD PLZ NERF IT HARDER BUT I HAVE ALL THE TOOLS TO MAKE THIS GAME EZ BUT I don't KNOW HOW help me ggg HELP ME!

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Nov 15, 2018, 12:17:44 AM
no idea what your point is, unless you want/expect ggg to cater to the LCD.

which is the trend now, both in general and in poe's direction.
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
Yeah I'm gonna blow your minds: the power creep isn't for the average/casual players, it's for the top players.

They're the ones who got the most advantage from shaper/elder items, and they're the ones who will be getting the most advantage from new veiled mods and top-tier crafting (especially since the best crafting mods will likely be tough af to get). The top players got the best double-corrupt incursion mods, the best bestiary mods, the best fossil crafted OP stuff - it all goes to them.

It's a very popular myth that all of this has to do with throwing a bone to casuals; honestly it's much more about catering to the top while distracting them with options like deep delving and custom leagues. The thing is, a significant number of top players really DO want power creep to make them feel even more distant from the "average," who really won't see much of this stuff whatsoever. I just think that group is more active on Reddit - the people who fawn over item showcases rather than offer critical feedback - than here.

Yes, there is an "upper middle class" of players (for lack of a better way of putting it) who are benefiting too - I'm theoretically in that group myself, except that I suck and am poor - but that's still a small portion of the playerbase.

My theory is GGG is trying to turn that group right on the edge into mtx whales, while dangling stuff for the casuals that only the veterans actually get to use.

I should clarify I'm not attacking top players at all (and never do even with my balance whining), just stating that all the new powercreep really hits them more than anyone else.
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.
Last edited by demon9675 on Nov 15, 2018, 2:08:39 AM
"
demon9675 wrote:
Yeah I'm gonna blow your minds: the power creep isn't for the average/casual players, it's for the top players.

They're the ones who got the most advantage from shaper/elder items, and they're the ones who will be getting the most advantage from new veiled mods and top-tier crafting (especially since the best crafting mods will likely be tough af to get). The top players got the best double-corrupt incursion mods, the best bestiary mods, the best fossil crafted OP stuff - it all goes to them.

It's a very popular myth that all of this has to do with throwing a bone to casuals; honestly it's much more about catering to the top while distracting them with options like deep delving and custom leagues.

Those are not the only power creep elements we got, ascendancies are pure power creep ( it's interesting, it was a really good addition, but those are not just options, those are clear, significant upgrades, that I do love too ), some skill buffs, poet's pen, the formerly top end items made available to all, it's all power creep, and not reserved to the "elite" of PoE.

And the balance comes after that, having Guardians significantly beefier than previous map bosses, then shaper, then ... well, Uber elder that does require freaking high dps.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
power creep..

cheap and effective way to gain short term player base increase.

people play games like POE to 'feel powerful' (esp people with low self esteem and/or lack of RL power/success).

you can work for your power if you are able. not all are. game has to keep pretence so there is a level of challenge that one has to beat.

or you can be GIVEN power. just like that. participation token.

current power creep we have - all these 'absurd' mods/items/skills we get every patch - is just that. giving that 'i feel powerful' away.

it is the same as with ingame wealth. you can work for it. or you can be GIVEN one - mirror drop/very rare/expensive item drop. you can be 0-skill, drunk and blind and you still can get rich in game. this is VERY strong emotional motivator. esp for people who are not skilled/capable of 'working' for their wealth in game

that notion that somewhere there, under that rock you can find a mirror and at least be equal. without actually being one

thus power creep - if the game is to cater to wider audience - is inevitable. two notes tho: despite ABSURD levels of promotional power creep the audience is rather stagnant AND it really could have been done better and in a more civilised way

not to mention - how to attract players? you can give them new content or simply give them more power. giving more power is easier and pretty much everyone deep inside likes free stuff. creating new content is risky, costly and can backfire (bestiary). giving more power? simple. easy. cheap

fast food is also simple, easy and cheap.
Power creep is a vastly used "cheat" to increase player retention. In F2P games it's a norm btw.
In addition, the older the game - the more power creep gets accumulated over time.

Basically speaking, power creep is inevitable and growing. That's why past a certain point it requires developer attention, a.k.a. ingame balancing. And it should be constant, efficient, and cruel if needed.

The last part is where ggg dropped the ball and IMO it's impossible to pick it up back.
Along with their hunt for profit and player retention, they went too reckless with power creep and neglected the balance. Up to the point of no return, if you ask me.
Any dramatic changes will already result in financial losses. People got used to babysitting and infinite easy to achieve powers, for too long. Like a junky, they need more of it, and turn aggressive if not fed up.

To become even worse, 1K team is a dirty joke. Like, absurdly incompetent.
I'll give examples as a comparison.

Balancing of another F2P game - Dota 2, revolves around ups and downs in power of different heroes. But temporary buffed heroes never have absolute power, nor dramatic skill/damage advantage. They are just slightly overtuned, compared to others. Yes it matters, no it's not game breaking. A patch later, these "OP" heroes get slightly nerfed, and others slightly buffed.
It's a "giving with one hand, taking with the other" kind of balancing. And it works, as it helps having more active players (better player retention), altogether with good balancing and less accumulation of power creep (if any).

Let's compare it to PoE balancing. They destroy ES to have it replaced with life. Meta shift to make people chase new items and keep them occupied, while making old meta ES items nearly obsolete.
Ok, good. GGG are obviously familiar with yo-yo balancing, it's also a valid and working approach.
And then BOOM, add sources of additional insane life increase by affixes and mods. WHY ??? The bloody meta shift was enough to serve both player retention and balancing, why do you do that? This increase in average power, known as power creep, is gonna stay. You can't remove it, over, done. You can't shift the meta once again, being inefficient. You have to add something more, to make any difference.

My prediction is, that pretty soon PoE balance team will have no other option but creating strictly disposable content, as anything else will result in explosion of power creep within any new patch, to the point of game becoming unplayable.
The blatant slippery slope they trapped themself in.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Nov 15, 2018, 9:32:27 AM
Since op wasn't that nice to answer my 2 questions I want to ask same two question to anybody willing to answer:

1)
"
Do you really find repeating exactly one attack against single group of monsters more entertaining than what we have right now?

My whole post
Spoiler

Do you really find repeating exactly one attack against single group of monsters more entertaining than what we have right now?
I really don't understand it. POE is not a strategy game, you don't have multiple of choices how to approach your enemy. Slowing things down would literally mean holding attack skill for few seconds instead of clicking once and enjoying visual animation and sound of enemies dying (shatter).

When i play games like XCOM or darkest dungeon single battle can last few minutes because everything i do matters and most importantly i have many different viable options. In POE there is no strategy, situational choice or variation. You would just hold attack button for few seconds and that's all. I really can't find it interesting.

2)
"
So how do you want to reasonably use more than one skill at once?

^ my question after reading this post:
Spoiler
"
"
...thinks we should only use 1 skill.

yup, it's poe 2018.
Last edited by karoollll2534 on Nov 15, 2018, 9:23:43 AM
"
Fruz wrote:
"
demon9675 wrote:

It's a very popular myth that all of this has to do with throwing a bone to casuals; honestly it's much more about catering to the top while distracting them with options like deep delving and custom leagues.

Those are not the only power creep elements we got, ascendancies are pure power creep ( it's interesting, it was a really good addition, but those are not just options, those are clear, significant upgrades, that I do love too ), some skill buffs, poet's pen, the formerly top end items made available to all, it's all power creep, and not reserved to the "elite" of PoE.

And the balance comes after that, having Guardians significantly beefier than previous map bosses, then shaper, then ... well, Uber elder that does require freaking high dps.

Good points! I just think the idea of this being an elites vs casuals conflict is a bit of a myth.
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.
Well, it does affect everyone to a certain extent, but the players at the top of the pyramid are the one getting the most of it yeah.
Which is not a bad thing, you need to have incentive to play the game better/more efficiently.

"
torturo wrote:
It's a "giving with one hand, taking with the other" kind of balancing. And it works, as it helps having more active players (better player retention), altogether with good balancing and less accumulation of power creep (if any).

Dota is a purely PvP game though, so the comparison is not very relevant.
Because with a PvP game, the balance is Everything ( with a wide pool of avatars one can play, you need a minimum of them to be good enough I guess . )
In path of exile, as a PvE (with a racing dimension to it of course), if players are overtuned compared to the content, its' not game breaking.
I don't really like it, it's not very good for player retention, but ... it's not as bad as a PvP only game being completely unbalanced.

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Nov 15, 2018, 11:52:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info