POE is not a FREE TO PLAY

"
Miská wrote:
No that's not my agenda at all, but I see why you took the easy way out so you didn't actual have to respond with something meaninful.

The "easy way out?"

Sorry Miská, but you don't get to use personal insults as part of your rhetoric and then accuse others of taking the "easy way out" when they call you out on your bullshit. And then, on top of that, accuse them of making meaningless statements because they have called you out.

I rest my case.

..Quite comfortably, at that rate. (I am happy to engage in discussion with those who actually take the time to poke holes in my argument. Do that next time, instead of doubling down on your already thoroughly discredited rhetoric. Protip: Feel like insulting me again? You already lost. Point out a logical flaw in my statements? You're already winning. You choose.)
Wash your hands, Exile!
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
"
Miská wrote:
No that's not my agenda at all, but I see why you took the easy way out so you didn't actual have to respond with something meaninful.

The "easy way out?"

Sorry Miská, but you don't get to use personal insults as part of your rhetoric and then accuse others of taking the "easy way out" when they call you out on your bullshit. And then, on top of that, accuse them of making meaningless statements because they have called you out.

I rest my case.

..Quite comfortably, at that rate. (I am happy to engage in discussion with those who actually take the time to poke holes in my argument. Do that next time, instead of doubling down on your already thoroughly discredited rhetoric. Protip: Feel like insulting me again? You already lost. Point out a logical flaw in my statements? You're already winning. You choose.)

I honestly have no idea what you are even on about.

You think it's actually possible to stay on topic and add something worthwhile? So far you only shouted 'it's a demo' and 'you are a big meanie' and that took you 3 posts.
Last edited by Miská on Sep 15, 2018, 11:02:03 AM
"
Miská wrote:
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
"
Miská wrote:

The "easy way out?"

I rest my case.

I honestly have no idea what you are even on about.

Color me surprised.
Wash your hands, Exile!
This idiotic debate is based on wrong, subjective definitions of several terms.

F2P does not, and has never meant; "You may enjoy everything the game has to offer without paying a dime". F2P is simply a business model, letting you play the game for free as long as you want, while you can still enhance your enjoyment/entertainment/fun/efficiency by paying.

You CAN beat everything in the game with 4 stash tabs. Can you beat everything in the game, and at the same time pick up everything to want to pick up? No. That does not change the fact that this game is F2P.

If ANYONE is under the impression that F2P means "enjoy the the entire game for free without compromises", they are wrong. Easy as that.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
There is literally no game content in POE that one must pay to access. Every single story-line, boss fight, and achievement is achievable without making a single payment.

That more than qualifies as "free to play" for me.
- here's my sig
Three weeks of this is enough. I'll nominate this thread for locking.
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
Path of Exile with 4 vanilla stash tabs is not a complete game. IT IS A DEMO. Yep, here the argument becomes subjective, not objective.

I'm curious, do you consider Diablo II a demo as well? Or Sacred, Torchlight or Titan Quest? All of those games have a limited amount of storage space, and at least some of them have way more unique items than you can store. They are all buy-to-play as well.

Conversely, would you still consider Path of Exile a demo if there was no way to get more stash space and you'd have to live with four tabs forever?

Edit: Oh, and you may want to consider that Diablo II had gems and runes, for which the provided stash was woefully too small. Sacred had those skill rune thingamajigs, though I recall them being less of a problem. I don't know about Torchlight or Titan Quest since I haven't played those.
Last edited by databeaver on Sep 15, 2018, 12:24:04 PM
I do not understand people who think this game has a bad business model. GGG has been more than fair in what they give us for free, and if you really can't spring for a few stash tabs, they allow you to make mules.

Last edited by Everwitch on Sep 15, 2018, 12:37:12 PM
"
databeaver wrote:
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
Path of Exile with 4 vanilla stash tabs is not a complete game. IT IS A DEMO. Yep, here the argument becomes subjective, not objective.

I'm curious, do you consider Diablo II a demo as well? Or Sacred, Torchlight or Titan Quest? All of those games have a limited amount of storage space, and at least some of them have way more unique items than you can store. They are all buy-to-play as well.

Conversely, would you still consider Path of Exile a demo if there was no way to get more stash space and you'd have to live with four tabs forever?

Edit: Oh, and you may want to consider that Diablo II had gems and runes, for which the provided stash was woefully too small. Sacred had those skill rune thingamajigs, though I recall them being less of a problem. I don't know about Torchlight or Titan Quest since I haven't played those.

Excellent points, and good on you for pointing them out.

The short answer to your question is "No, I would not."

The long answer to your question is "No, I would not, because all players were subject to the same limitations regardless of their RL monetary economic investment in the game. That means they were all on the same playing field, with the same relative disadvantages."

Unlike some posters, I do consider QoL enhancements to be pay2win in any game where in-game wealth acquisition/hour is the win condition AND said QoL enhancements contribute to that.

And I would go even further than that (and some people will agree with everything I said so far yet not agree with the subsequent statement), and state that any F2P arguments absolutely require (unconditionally) that GGG make a good-faith effort to make the game 100% playable, from start to finish, with 4 vanilla stash tabs.

That's... a difficult condition to defend, I think. Even for the most stalwart of GGG fans.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Sep 15, 2018, 12:36:25 PM
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
And I would go even further than that (and some people will agree with everything I said so far yet not agree with the subsequent statement), and state that any F2P arguments absolutely require (unconditionally) that GGG make a good-faith effort to make the game 100% playable, from start to finish, with 4 vanilla stash tabs.

That's... a difficult condition to defend, I think. Even for the most stalwart of GGG fans.

Not least because the condition is so ill-defined. What's considered "100% playable"? Do you need to have access to every single build out there? Do you need to be able to engage in large-scale trading and market manipulation? Do you need to store ten full sets of gear in your hardcore stash to prepare for a new character in case your current one dies? Or is it enough that you are able to make progress with a single character bit by bit?

What's considered "finish"? Do you need to acquire every single unique in the game? Do you need to fill all your character slots? Or is completing the atlas, beating all bosses and maybe reaching level 100 enough?

What portion of the player base does that condition need to apply to? There's apparently someone who has made it to level 100 in multiple leagues with just the four basic tabs. But I guess one person is not enough. Would 1% be? 10%? 50%?

And finally, would players need to make a good-faith effort to play with four tabs as well? Or is it perfectly fine to cry foul when your very own playstyle can't cope with four tabs anymore, no matter how much hoarding it involves?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info