Mechanical Questions Thread

"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
"
pabrt wrote:
Elder shield with "Socketed Gems are supported by Level # Cast When Damage Taken" + Necromantic Aegis.

When your minion is hit, spells in the shield and spells linked to the minion do not cast. Is this the intended functionality?

My understanding is "Socketed Gems are supported by Level # Cast When Damage Taken" is a bonus from the equipped shield.

The bonuses are transferred, but the gems inside the shield are not.

The minion skill is linked to CwDT (it is questionable whether this actually ever triggers, there is currently no way to test this in-game); but the minion does not have the linked skill gem, thus it has nothing to actually cast when it takes damage.

tl;dr: working as intended.

But the minion is not linked with CWDT - you can cast it directly.

Rather, the gems "Socketed" in the minion should theoretically be supported by CWDT. What I want to know is what that actually means in terms of the code vs. what is intended.
Hello, I wish I can get some official confirmation regarding stun mechanics and its interactions:

1. Can some one confirm that slow effects including chill and freeze do not affect stun duration on mobs?

2. I know that party scaling of mobs life does not affect their effective life pool. But do map mods that grant more life to mobs affect their effective life pool? In other words, will they be harder to stun?

Many thanks for any response. I authored a stun build thread and really don't want to mislead people on game mechanics.
Is it possible to adjust your stash layout like this? If not, would others prefer it this way or is it just me?

I strongly dislike using the arrows to find the right stash tab when placing stuff in my stash.

Last edited by Thumarun on Jan 15, 2018, 6:01:19 AM
"
pabrt wrote:
Rather, the gems "Socketed" in the minion should theoretically be supported by CWDT. What I want to know is what that actually means in terms of the code vs. what is intended.

It means nothing because Minions do not have Skill Gems socketed.

"
brightwaha wrote:
1. Can some one confirm that slow effects including chill and freeze do not affect stun duration on mobs?

2. I know that party scaling of mobs life does not affect their effective life pool. But do map mods that grant more life to mobs affect their effective life pool? In other words, will they be harder to stun?

1. Stun is affected by Slow, but only after Stun has been applied (meaning, Chill/TC do not increase the likelyhood of Stunning, but do prolong applied Stuns).

2. Yes, they will be harder to Stun, same way that Magic/Rare/Unique monsters are progressively harder to Stun due to their increased Life.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
brightwaha wrote:

1. Stun is affected by Slow, but only after Stun has been applied (meaning, Chill/TC do not increase the likelyhood of Stunning, but do prolong applied Stuns).

I appreciate your response, but are you 100% sure that chill affects stun duration?

Temporal Chains applies a slow effect as well as "other effects expire 40% slower" so it's obvious that Temporal Chains will prolong stun duration. However, slow effects slows animation time, and stun doesn't seem to be an active animation that a character performs.

I have done a test with Southbound, Resolute Technique, Brutality, Hatred, Ruthless and act1 trash mob. By swapping on and off the Brutality gem, I can control whether or not the mob is slowed with a 30% chill. And Southbound makes sure that I won't kill this mob for repetitive observation. I attack 3 times each time to proc Ruthless so I have a long and fixed stun duration for each hit.

I tested for around 20 minutes without seeing any sign of prolonged stun while chill is applied. However, when I used Temporal Chains to prolong the stuns, the effect was very noticeable.

If slow effect actually prolongs stun duration, then lvl 1 temporal chains should only increase stun duration by 20%, since temporal chains gives "Cursed enemies are (20-29)% slower", "Other effects on Cursed enemies expire 40% slower". Max effect chill should increase stun duration by 30%. This contradicts what I observed in my experiment.

I do appreciate your input, but I truly need some explanation or a firm confirmation.
"
brightwaha wrote:
Temporal Chains applies a slow effect as well as "other effects expire 40% slower" so it's obvious that Temporal Chains will prolong stun duration. However, slow effects slows animation time, and stun doesn't seem to be an active animation that a character performs.

TC's 'other effects expire slower' only applies to statuses that generate an icon on the monitor; Curses, Ignite, Blood Rage, the works. Stun does not show up as a debuff with a timer, yet TC affects Stuns.
Question: What if I have "Point Blank" in the passive skill tree and "Far Shot" in the bow?
Spoiler

How this item get +36% increased fire damage? Both path of building and poeaffix.net shows +30% as maximum for this stat. But poe.trade shows items with even more fire damage.
"
Question: What if I have "Point Blank" in the passive skill tree and "Far Shot" in the bow?

They both apply. Since they are both "more" modifiers, they are multiplied together. The scaling for Point Blank is on the wiki; although I haven't been able to find a similar one for Far Shot.

At maximum range (>35 units), you should be getting 50% less damage from PB and 30% more from FS; or 0.5 * 1.3 = 0.65 times your damage. (Or equivalent to a 35% less modifier.)

"
VurdaLuck wrote:
Spoiler

How this item get +36% increased fire damage? Both path of building and poeaffix.net shows +30% as maximum for this stat. But poe.trade shows items with even more fire damage.

30% is the maximum for a suffix ("of Ashes"). A prefix can get much more, up to 79% ("Xoph's"). There is also an Elder prefix with up to 60% increased. If your scepter has all three, you could in theory get up to 169% increased fire damage.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jan 15, 2018, 4:34:38 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
brightwaha wrote:

TC's 'other effects expire slower' only applies to statuses that generate an icon on the monitor; Curses, Ignite, Blood Rage, the works. Stun does not show up as a debuff with a timer, yet TC affects Stuns.

I did another experiment with much greater stun duration and lvl 19 Temporal Chains. I used a stop watch to count the time it takes for the mob to perform an attack on me after being stunned.

First group of data comes from Brutality + Lvl 19 Temporal Chains, which should offer 29% slow + "other effects on cursed enemies expire 40% slower"

The second group comes from no Temporal Chains and no Brutality, which due to my cold damage, should chill the mob for max effect and offer 30% slow.

If slow effect indeed affects stun duration, then the "other effects on cursed enemies expire 40% slower" should not. Then we should expect the same effect from the 29% slow(lvl 19 Temporal Chains) and 30% slow(chill).

My experimental data tell me that the first group took around 4.9 seconds. The second group took around 4.2 seconds. Sample size > 20 for each group.

I think this is a convincing study to show that the "other effects on cursed enemies expire 40% slower" indeed affects stun duration.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info