Mechanical Questions Thread

Does the Might and Influence jewel scale with AoE on tree/ascendancy? It's never really made obvious in game which I think is a bit silly. Or is it better to just use Melee Splash as usual?

My initial thought is to just run with Melee Splash anyway but eh maybe the jewel has its surprises.

Edit: all right I just tried it out for a little while. AoE seems pure garbage. Why does Cleave get a cool jewel and Dual Strike left in the lurch as always.
Last edited by liamwpk on Apr 2, 2017, 10:46:18 AM
Hello,
I have question about how many golems are you allowed.

One is allowed to everyone.
I am elementalist which gives me +1 (=2).
Then I have The Anima stone +1 (=3)
This stone should increase amount of golems by 1, for every 3 Primordial stones inserted,
but it is not working!

it only increases it to 4 for next 2 Harmony/Eminence stones and then Anima seems to have no effect?

How does that work?

"
bel07 wrote:
Then I have The Anima stone +1 (=3)
This stone should increase amount of golems by 1, for every 3 Primordial stones inserted,
but it is not working!

This is incorrect. The Anima Stone grants +1, and an additional +1 if you have 3 (or more) Primordial Jewels. It does not grant +1 per 3 Primordials. As such, Anima will never grant more than +2.

"
Ksol wrote:
Molten Shell Absorbed Damage are include damage that migitate by MoM?

Mind over Matter is not any form of damage absorption, no. Molten Shell counts %Physical Damage Reduction.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Apr 2, 2017, 5:59:33 AM
If master herbalist poison ascendancy node or cospris will were to be used with the retch would the leech damage applied as chaos also apply a poison or is it calculated completely seperately as reflect from sources such as the anvil are?
What is the radius of "nearby" on the Overwhelming Odds Cleave threshhold jewel?
(made a separate thread on this too in case another player might know..)
So I wanna try out a double totem build using the Pathfinders Master Herbalist node for the free Poison.. However, I have no idea if it would work with spell totems? (I know it works with siege ballista)

So for example .. If I use a voltaxic and double spark totems with added chaos, if I use a flask would my totems poison?

Or, if I don't use voltaxic but instead go for a bladefall totem with added chaos..?
I'm no longer horribly sick, and 3.0.0 work is looking slightly more under control. Time for more answers.

"
boof wrote:
Does the enchantment on the helmet buff every value of rallying cry?
In this example, do 174%, 13.4 and 16% all get buffed by 75%?
Not quite. It increases the value of all the stats granted by the Rallying Cry Buff. However, this buff only grants two stats, not three - "x% increased Damage" and "y Mana regenerated per second". The total amount of increased damage is calculated by the skill when cast, and depends on how many enemies are nearby, but it is only this one total value that is put into the buff, and then increased by the buff effect stat.
I practice this doesn't matter a lot, but does make a difference in terms of where rounding happens.

"
sefarison wrote:
How does Pathfinder Master Surgeon stack with Surgeon's mod on flasks? Is it 30% or two separate rolls? Does it stack at all?
They are separate rolls, although since this question was asked, the chance on Master Surgeon has been changed to 100%.

"
Enja_N wrote:
How does the Obliteration wand with it's Abyssal Cry proc and Herald of Ice interact exactly? Can both the shatter chain and chaos explosion chain both proc off the same single mob. Or do they need to proc of independent mobs so they overlap their chaining abilities.
I do not understand the question. Neither of these abilities use chaining mechanics, and I'm not sure whether you're asking about a situation where Abyssal Cry is actually in effect, or whether you've misunderstood Obliteration's effect as being related to Abyssal Cry.
A single frozen monster dying can trigger both explosions from Obliteration and Herald of Ice. If the monster is affected by Abyssal Cry, it can also cause that explosion. Each explosion hits enemies separately. A monster which dies to one explosion can't be hit by any further explosions.

"
maLcious wrote:
Does Breath of the Council increase the duration of a poison, if the skill used is linked to the Poison Support Gem?
Only if the skill in question has the "Chaos" tag.
"
maLcious wrote:
Much like the Melee Splash applying the "AoE" tag to a skill that normally is single target.
I understand that something like Voidheart wouldn't because the skill used, isn't directly linked to your attack or spell. It should apply the "Chaos" tag if the skill is directly linked with poison.
Melee Splash does not add any tags to linked skills. It changes the properties of the skill in such a way that it has an area, but the tags on a skill are defined only by the gem. These are distinct concepts.

"
DeadLeaves wrote:
I would very much appreciate a clarification on the bloodlines mod. Is there a mechanic that prevents bloodlines mobs from dropping maps?
No.

"
The_x_ile wrote:
can reflected damage be reflected back?
No.

"
Xaneixan wrote:
Heya Mark do you mind giving a little more Insight in how the xblood Nemesis mod work?

From my experience xblood Nemesis mods are based on the Damage of the mob and not on Life BUT
The Extra elemental mods count lets say for example:

Bandit with Iceblood Nemesis Explosion damage is increased by:
Extra Damage
Extra Fire Damage <-
Extra Lightning Damage <-

If I got it right those 2 buff the Explosion damage and why is that?
The base damage of the explosion is equal to the total attack damage of the monster - what it would deal if it used a default attack (this does not mean the same damage it does if it walks up and hits you, as not all monsters have a default attack, and they may well be using an attack skill with damage modifiers on it).

"
dth3flash wrote:
How does attack speed and increase duration affect Vaal lightning strike?
Modifiers to attack speed apply to Vaal Lightning Strike the same as to any other attack - they modify the speed with which you execute the attack.
Modifiers to duration affect how long the "charged" state lasts on the monster.

"
If you have endless hunter, the Slayer node
And Atziri's acuities.
If you leech instantly to full health with Acuities
Does the leech that hasn't been happening instantly still continue?
Yes.
Could you please provide me with the life values at level 20 and 21 for the various totems?
I'm theory crafting a reverse knock-back, EE, reflect totems (War's Herald) build and am a bit stuck on the best approach.
"
Melee Splash does not add any tags to linked skills. It changes the properties of the skill in such a way that it has an area, but the tags on a skill are defined only by the gem. These are distinct concepts.

Aren't you forgetting threshold jewels?
"
mark1030 wrote:
My question is about the duration of bleed and poison from items. I'm using snakebite gloves that inflict poison when at max frenzy charges. Here is a post where testing didn't seem to match what the wiki says for the default durations: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1678470. Can you please clarify the base durations for bleed and poisons including distinctions if it matters what the source is (besides the obvious modified durations from Puncture and Viper Strike)?

And here is another thread where testing seemed to show inconsistencies with duration modifiers: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1698604. It looks like Increased Duration Support increases poison duration but Less Duration Support does not lessen it. I guess in summary my question is: Is the duration of bleed and poison attached to skills via items supposed to be modifyable by passives and/or gems supporting the skill that applied the bleed/poison?
These were both bugged until 2.5.0. From the patch notes:
"
  • Bleeding effects from non-puncture sources are now affected by the same (additive and multiplicative) duration modifiers as bleeding effects from puncture sources.
  • Poison from non-Viper Strike sources is now affected by multiplicative skill effect duration modifiers. Additive skill effect duration modifiers were already being applied.

"
TheAmigoBoyz wrote:
I was wondering if you could clarify this for me.

If i have an attack linked with Slower Projectiles (adding more projectile damage), and i poison on hit from the unique chestpiece, Cospri's Will, would the projectile damage increase also scale the poison damage, just like jewels with projectile damage do, or would it just scale the basic attack, thus scaling the poison damage a little.
Currently yes. This will not be the case in 3.0.0, unless a you have a stat which specifically allows it to apply.

"
Twargh wrote:
How does ignite damage apply to targets hit by multiple explosive arrows at one (eq. stacked on ice nove are a mob pack around bosses).

I ask because i sometimes experience extreme burn damage and others very little.

If i for example stack 5 arrows on the boss and 5 arrows in two separate stacks on an icewall, all in range to hit the boss. Lets say they explode simultaneously, Will ignite damage be calculated from the total 15 arrows or just the stack with the highest damage?
There are not 15 arrows in this example. When you hit an object with an Explosive Arrow, if it already has an explosive arrow, it doesn't add another arrow, it just adds a fuse charge to the object, which will affect the damage of the preexisting arrow when it explodes. The boss has one arrow in it, with 5 total fuse charges. If the other arrows are in other monsters, they also are two single arrows with 5 fuse charges. If they are not suck into any objects, but just hit terrain, then there is no object to add charges to, and so each arrow is individual - in that case there would be 10 arrows in the terrain, each with only a single fuse charge. As you can see, these are two very different cases.

Each arrow explodes entirely separately, and thus ignites separately, from any other arrows. The magnitude of the explosion (and thus any resulting ignite) depends on how many fuse charges were on the exploding object, as described in the skill description.

"
From an older thread several years ago, you said that the 'Trap' support gem works on Minions, like from Mirror Arrow, but that trap passives do not buff the resulting minions' damage. However, does the 'Trap and Mine Damage' support gem work with minions supported by 'Trap'?
Damgae from minions hitting things is inherently not trap damage. The support will work with minions in that it grants the minions more Trap and Mine damage, which will benefit them if they use any traps or mines. If they don't, which most minions can't, then they can't deal Trap or Mine damage, and thus can't benefit from that bonus.
"
On that same note, in this case where you are summoning minions with Trap, would frenzy charges on your character at the time of throwing the trap buff the minions' damage?
No. Frenzy charges on you affect your damage, not your minions damage.

"
Selensija wrote:
I am playing Necromancer with the Ascendandy Key Node "Mistress of Sacrifice" (Offerings target yourself) and I tried the new spell "Spirit Offering" but either it's not working as intended or I am bad at calculating.

My Character has 325 Int which results in 65% bonus ES
Through the skill tree my Character gets 124% bonus ES

So overall 189% ES

My Character has 4784 Maximum Life and Spirit Offering gives 2% Maximum Life as Energy Shield per Corpse (Up to 9 Corpses)

After casting my Character should have

4784 * 0,02 * 9 * (1+ 189/100) = 2488 Energy Shield
This is only correct if you do not have any modifiers to Maximum Life, which I strongly doubt. You get extra base ES from your base Life, and it is affected by modifiers to both ES and Life. Additive modifiers do not apply multiplicatively as you are doing here.
This works the same was as all other "x converted to y"/"gain X as Extra y" mechanics in the game - you get the base amount, and then modifiers to either apply to it.

Backtracking the calculations, I've worked out that you probably have very close to 1785 base life, and 168% increased life (which would result in 4784 total life after rounding).

This means the extra ES you're getting from 9 corpses, which is converted from life, is 321.3 base ES converted from life (1785 * 0.02 * 9), and is then affected by your increased ES and your increased life. 321.3 * (1 + 189/100 + 168/100) = 1468 after rounding, exactly what you're seeing. The maths also works out to give the same value you're getting at 3 corpses.

"
pootie3030 wrote:
i skimmed the forum but didnt really find what i was looking for. what is the definition of "attacked recently" and "cast recently". what i would like to know is can a standard attack from a wand count towards "attacked recently".
Yes, the default attack is just as much an attack as any other.
"
pootie3030 wrote:
as well, do the attacks and spells need to hit a target for them to count towards "recently"?
No, you only need to peform the action. You can shift-attack the air with a melee weapon and you still attacked. And plenty of spells you can cast don't hit enemies anyway.
Using Warcries will not count, as they are neither attacks, nor spells. Additionally, you need to use the skill - triggered skills aren't used, and won't count as you having attacked/cast recently.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Apr 3, 2017, 2:40:29 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info