Mechanical Questions Thread

For several skills, they have a "More/Less Damage" modifier attached such as Fire Nova Mine's "X% more Spell Damage per stage" or Earthquake's "Aftershock deals X% more damage", and even Kinetic Blast's "25% less Area Damage".

My question is whether or not these modifiers "double dip" for DoTs that they apply.

For instance, let's say I have Fire Nova Mine, 100% chance to Ignite, and Emberwake (for multiple ignites). In addition, we will assume no support gems or passives affect the damage of the skill (so just the intrinsic more/damage is in effect). Which of the following would occur?

Case 1. Since Ignite is not a "repeat" of Fire Nova Mine, it doesn't get the more damage bonus.

Hit 1: 100 fire, ignites for 4 fire damage per sec (20% of 100 and then 80% less from emberwake, effectively 4% of initial hit)
Hit 2: 130 fire (~30% more), ignites for 5.2 fire damage per sec (4% of initial hit)
Hit 3: 160 fire (~60% more), ignites for 6.4 fire damage per sec (4% of initial hit)
Hit 4: 190 fire (~90% more), ignites for 7.6 fire damage per sec (4% of initial hit)

Case 2. Each repeat of Fire Nova Mine gets a "more damage" modifier attached to it.

Hit 1: 100 fire, ignites for 4 fire damage per sec (4% of initial hit)
Hit 2: 130 fire (~30% more), ignites for 6.8 fire damage per sec (4% of initial hit * ~30% more damage)
Hit 3: 160 fire (~60% more), ignites for 10.2 fire damage per sec (4% of initial hit * ~60% more damage)
Hit 4: 190 fire (~90% more), ignites for 14.4 fire damage per sec (4% of initial hit * ~90% more damage)

For each of the following skills, here's my current interpretation, please correct me where possible :)

1. Kinetic Blast's "less Area Damage". This is applied to the initial AoE hit and any DoTs that are caused by the AoE hit.

2. Earthquake's "Aftershock deals X% more damage". This is applied to the initial aftershock hit and any DoTs created by the aftershock hit

3. Mirror/Blink Arrow's "Minions deal 75% more damage". This is applied to any hit the clone deals and any DoTs applied by that clone

4. Fire Nova Mine. This works like case 2 described above.

5. Flamesurge's "50% more damage against burning enemies". This is applied to the initial hit and any Poison effect on a burning enemy (since it can't ignite)

6. Shield Charge's "200% more damage at maximum charge distance". This is applied to the initial hit and any DoTs the charge may have caused (Voidheart ftw!)

7. Flameblast's "110% more spell damage per stage". This is applied to the initial hit only and to no DoTs caused by Flameblast as spell damage doesn't affect DoTs.

I know there are many other skills that share this modifier such as Lightning Strike, Static Strike... but based on the answers to these 7 skills, I think I can figure out the rest :)
"
avreolko wrote:
Question about Scaeva, sorry i don't have this item and can't link it
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Scaeva wiki link
Increased critical strike chance when in main hand - global or local?

I have one, it's local. I have 10% crit chance with no passives/charges when I wield Scaeva in my mainhand
This question repeatedly comes up and I would love an official answer.

In what order does reflect damage and leech apply, and if it's "reflect -> damage", can you hit 0 life and then immediately leech back up?
"
dth3flash wrote:
How does Mjölner with 3 discharges, Juggernaut (Unrelenting), Voll's Devotion, Romira's Banquet (and Resolute Technique/Voll's Protector) work?

You never gain Power Charges from Voll's Protector, because when you crit you lose your Power Charges with Romira's, so it's useless. Whenever you lose your Power Charges from critting with Romira's, you gain your max Endurance Charges through Voll's Devotion giving you at least 1 Endurance Charge when you lose a Power Charge through Romira's.
Last edited by Snailic on Jun 8, 2016, 3:15:17 PM
While I'm casting a flameblast, does my arctic armour affect reflected damage if I move to cancel flameblast?

While I'm casting a flameblast, does casting rallying shout affect flameblast damage if I use rallying shout to cancel flameblast cast?
Mark, with Grip of the Council Arcanist Gloves granting minions 20% of their physical damage as bonus cold damage how effective might cold to fire gem be? Does the damage double dip? I still do not fully understand the order of damages...

minion base damage on level.

minion damage multiplier.

support gems.

damage conversion.

auras.

I do not mind doing the math myself I just do not know the order of operations. Thank you for your time.
It seems like the Scaeva's crit chance modifier in main hand is local. When talking about Daresso's Passion you said that conditional mods are global. Am I doing math wrong and it is global or it there something unique about this mod?

Why does Cyclone not work when under the effects of Vaal Rain of Arrows when you can still Whirling Blades?

Is there some technical limitation that stops degen/regen from being applied in the same step? Right now if you use Blood Rage you sit just below full always.
Does increased AoE from tree affect Bacon of Ruins from Elementalist?
When the GGG will solve the problem of interaction of trap + essence drain? I thought the patch 2.3.0 would be solved. Or the mechanical this skill was intentionally designed to not work with traps (sometimes I suspect it because of slow cast speed of essence drain against fast throw traps)?
Guides made by me:
Unnamed's CoC CI Discharge Trickster, Tankster BV MoM Poison, Saboquisitor MoM Pure Cold damage with Hrimburn, Trickster Critical Flameblast
Last edited by Carrasco_Santo on Jun 8, 2016, 4:05:17 PM
"
TotalNoob69 wrote:
It seems like the Scaeva's crit chance modifier in main hand is local. When talking about Daresso's Passion you said that conditional mods are global. Am I doing math wrong and it is global or it there something unique about this mod?

Why does Cyclone not work when under the effects of Vaal Rain of Arrows when you can still Whirling Blades?

Is there some technical limitation that stops degen/regen from being applied in the same step? Right now if you use Blood Rage you sit just below full always.

Scaeva's Crit is local. It doesn't say "Global Critical Strike Chance".

For Blood Rage, you are always below full because you don't cast it at the exact second you regen so there is a slight delay between when you take damage and when you regen.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info