Inevitable Judgment penetrates your own resistance on reflect

"
SIQI wrote:
rechecked in mirror map, your resistances arn't penetrated by the 10%, if it did my life bar would never overleech with 4% and mind over matter unspecced. On another note Rare Monsters might reflect more than 14%, the last entry in patch notes on the wiki regarding reflect values was from 1.2 so things might have changed since then. Well, that is the end of that i guess.

Only human, I make mistakes, but you guys could've helped recheck instead of posting comments that don't help. I know penetration has been around, but the node could've been bugged, which was what I was concerned about. The good thing is, it is not.

Unless your the OPs alt account no one is talking to you.
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
Reflected damage is never a crit so if Inevitable Judgement is ignoring your resists then that's a bug.

Inevitable Judgement penetrating your resistances because you hit yourself non-critically is the correct behavior though.

If Inevitable Judgement's resistance-ignoring stat applied to non-critical hits then all your hits would ignore your resistances when reflected instead of penetrating them.

Edit: I misread this initially, so I've clarified which parts of the node I was talking about.
Gameplay & Level Design
Need help? Contact support@grindinggear.com
Last edited by Dan_GGG on Mar 13, 2016, 9:41:13 PM
Hmm I always thought penetration was an on hit effect and on hit effects cannot be reflected.

If that was the case and penetration was applied during reflected damage, then there would be a TON of deaths to players using light/cold/fire pen support

It reads "non-critical strikes penetrate 10% of enemy..." while similar nodes on passive tree read "Damage Penetrates x% Fire res". I would expect it to behave like regular penetration.

inconsistency? bug? I am confused.
Lol OK, so the takeaway is don't play Inquisitor?
I have posted my understandings of reflect in the feedback post of IJ that i've made, but some ppl don't check there so, I'll just copy it here as well. (these are my understandings of reflect anyways). Maybe a mod will comment on it.

Here was my complete logic on reflect:
1. Reflected damage comes from a damage source. That source is you, the game returns that damage to the source, hence that damage is returned to you.

2. That damage source has particular tags to which the reflected version would inherit those very same tags. Hence allowing players to dodge reflect from a spell if they have a chance to dodge spell, because the damage would be tagged with "spell". Likewise, players would dodge an attack with regular dodge instead of spell dodge, because the reflect is tagged with attack rather than spell.

3. The reflected damage itself is a non-hit damage value like the passive from a scold's bridle, it is able to proc CWDT because cwdt is calculated in relation to damage taken and has no relation to hits. But it is not going to result in repeated chaining of tempest shield procs and other similar things along the line .

4. Following up on #3, since reflect is non-hit damage, it cannot crit, because for a crit to exist, the hit must be able to be rolled, and since it is a non-hit, no hits are rolled, thus reflect damage is not considered critical damage even when sourced from a critical strike.

5. Following up on the previous. Inquisitor's Inevitable Judgement's 10% elemental damage penetration is a modifier that applies to "non-critical strikes"; reflect falls directly into this category and has nothing to do with being hit. Likewise if you take a Passive node like Heart of Flames, you will penetrate your own fire resistances by 3% when it comes to reflect calculations.

6. In regards to the linking of a elemental penetration gem; the only things that reflected damage inherits and gets used for calculation purposes is: the tags of the source(projectile,attack,spell,etc), x% of the damage taken by monster, the damage type (phys,fire,cold, or lit), and its ownership (to whom the damage will be resolved to). The % penetration from a penetration gem is not taken into account in the calculation of reflect because the effect is local to the original spell/attack and not an attribute of the owner whom the damage will be resolved to (meaning you); hence this is why Inevitable judgement will apply the penetration to players when it comes to reflect, but not the penetration gem!

All I know is: I had to stop playing my strong Freezing Pulse witch because of reflect. I would one shot myself regularly when a reflect monster jumped, ran or appeared suddenly in the pulse range.

Off screen reflect deaths became all too common for me.

My favourite skill, too. :(

"
Rayzabladez wrote:

All I know is: I had to stop playing my strong Freezing Pulse witch because of reflect. I would one shot myself regularly when a reflect monster jumped, ran or appeared suddenly in the pulse range.

Off screen reflect deaths became all too common for me.

My favourite skill, too. :(

Pyre Consuming Dark etc.?
Why not just play Inquisitor with totems and never have to worry about reflect?

Crit spork totems for days....

(Jk, I would almost never play a totem build these days, even with all the cool-ish stuff they can do).

But totem inquisitor is completely viable and ignores the downsides presented in this thread.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Last edited by zSavage on Mar 14, 2016, 3:37:57 AM
Totems are just too strong TBH.
Shouldn't this mean that Elemental Conflux applies to reflected damage? Or is that different somehow.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info