Inevitable Judgment penetrates your own resistance on reflect

Reflected damage is never a crit so if Inevitable Judgement is ignoring your resists then that's a bug.

Inevitable Judgement penetrating your resistances because you hit yourself non-critically is the correct behavior though.

If Inevitable Judgement's resistance-ignoring stat applied to non-critical hits then all your hits would ignore your resistances when reflected instead of penetrating them.

Edit: I misread this initially, so I've clarified which parts of the node I was talking about.
Gameplay & Level Design
Need help? Contact support@grindinggear.com
Last edited by Dan_GGG on Mar 13, 2016, 9:41:13 PM
"
Dethklok wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Reflected damage cannot (currently) apply any on-hit effects.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Penetration is an on-hit effect
These are two different quotes taken out of very different contexts.

Penetration is part of hit calculation. It's "on-hit" in that it can't apply to damage over time, and is part of calculating a hit. It is not an "on-hit effect" in the sense of being a result of hitting something - something applied by the hit - which is what reflect cannot apply.

Dan's post yesterday was based on information from me that penetration applies to reflection. I was wrong about this, and apologise for the confusion caused. The reason penetration cannot apply to reflected damage has nothing to do with it being "on-hit", but is because the way reflection is calculated means your offensive stats can affect whether you take reflected damage (accuracy, block chance reduction, etc), but cannot affect the value of the damage if you do (penetration, ignoring resistance, damage modifiers, etc).

This was confounded by the fact that looking into this yesterday revealed a bug where the 'crit-ness' of the original damage was included in the calculation for reflected damage, however that bug had no actual mechanical effect due to the only two mechanics that use that value are the penetration and resistance ignoring on Inevitable Judgment, and as noted neither of those is able to apply to reflect, as the damage value calculation is not modified by your stats. The bug has been fixed regardless, to prevent it mattering in the future (a theoretical stat for "take 20% increased fire damage from critical strikes" would have applied to reflected damage with the bug in place, for example).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info