Fireball

Decent skill but very boring to use.
ProbablyGettingNerfed - L100 Occultist
Vinktarded - L100 Pathfinder
GoogleDiversityHire - L100 Necromancer

3.13 was the pinnacle of PoE. IVYS+1 Gang 4 Life.
"

Not only is it boring, but it is actually difficult to use if you are targetting anything faster than regular skeletons or bandit mobs. This skill could use a boost in projectile speed.

edit: i want to run a pure fireballer char (with prolif burn) so badly but the projectile speed issues stops med every time. Why pick fireball over, say, arc (or flameblast if you want to make use of burn status)
Last edited by wrajjt on Dec 20, 2014, 1:23:42 PM
For some reason Inc area damage passive gem won't increase dps tooltip on fireball (50% increased area damage). Fireball works with increased area damage?
Fireball (and Arctic Breath) only explodes when the Projectile expires. If it Pierces, Forks or Chains, then the Fireball only deals Damage to the initial target. Because the game doesn't know beforehand whether Fireball will deal AoE Damage, GGG has decided to show the direct hit Damage instead. That way, you always deal at least as much Damage as is listed, and not less. It does mean Area Damage modifiers such as the Passives and Concentrated Effect are 'invisible'.

They do apply, though.
Playing fireball trap build.
Have an option - go +10% inc projectile damage nodes or same value 10% spell damage nodes in witch area.
I already have 50% inc. spell damage nodes and 50%+ inc. spell damage on items and will prob have more. No projectile increases so far.
What will bring more profit damage-wise: Inc. projectile damage or inc. spell damage? (tried some regrets - projectile damage dps tooltip shows better numbers, but not i'm not sure cause of strange fireball interaction with projectile\AoE mechanics)
Last edited by XpiH on Feb 4, 2015, 5:08:54 AM
Both grant you 10% Increased Damage. It's exactly the same.
"

With increased cast speed and increased projectile speed, I actually find it fun.
I was very disappointed to log in and see the fireball art change. For such an iconic skill, it looks awful.
Just started a new build around Fireball in the Awakening and while the changes to its damage and projectile speed went into the right direction, i still see some issues with this iconic skill.

This becomes most apparent when comparing it with the changes that have been made to Freezing Pulse to compensate for the changes to spell "shotgunning". FP has higher damage, faster cast speed, higher damage effectiveness and better AoE coverage at low range but is ultimately weaker at mid to long range.

To make Fireball better comparable, i would suggest adjusting its damage effectiveness to 120-130% and further increasing its projectile speed.
The projectile speed increase is basically meant to make it possible to use it with Slower Projectiles (with some investment into projectile speed of course) and still getting a usable skill.
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
Do projectile damage nodes also increase the explosion damage? I'm just wondering if it's better to take the Sniper nodes over Blaze nodes in the shadow area.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info