Why do people not want to haggle?

"
JackDiesel wrote:
People probably don't want to haggle for the same reasons you don't want to haggle.

He knows this. He thrives off of drama.
There's an art to haggling, and it's very much alive. I set prices on my items a bit higher than what they normally sell for, and sometimes I snag a buyer that will pay my price; other times I don't. When I get an offer that's a bit lower, I'll make a concession if it's not too low.

As for the buying side, I will always attempt to haggle with the seller. If b/o is listed at 40ex, I'll offer 10-15% below (34-36ex). I'd say about 60% of the time, the seller will sell for my offer. The other 40% of the time, they either hold firm or don't respond to me. If they don't respond, I don't get my panties up in a bunch. If they hold firm and I need the item, I'll pay the b/o price.

Point is: people can still haggle in this game, but the offers have to be reasonable. And you need to have the social IQ not to jump straight to insulting the buyer/seller if you don't get what you want.
✮ in-game @FTMFW
✮ twitch.tv/RRTSON
✮ [Shop] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/909223
✮ [Build of the Week] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1034503
Last edited by rrtson on Jul 27, 2014, 8:11:58 PM
The only thing that really annoys me is when i list an item, or we haggle a price and then the buyer sticks a different currency in the trade window, claiming some exchange rate that we did not agree on.

Hell, if i haggle for fuses (or list an item in fuses) its because i want the fuses.

If you haggled for a Divinarius, its not reasonable to put (say) 10 ungils into the trade window instead, is it?

That rant aside....

One of the key elements in an efficient market (which is what most people seem to want, ultimately) is price discovery. xyz's main function is price discovery, then information exchange, with connecting buyers with sellers a distant third. Almost all of the 'profit' from trading stems directly from the inefficiency of price discovery (which cannot be eliminated entirely, btw) in the PoE marketplace.

If GGG ever actually gets their 'trade system' into the client then the element of price discovery should take priority over the mechanics of trading.

For their trade system, i really hope theyve hired an expert in auction systems to advise them, otherwise the trade mechanic will almost certainly be the driving factor.

B.
The Preceding message contains discretion.
Viewer nudity is advised.
Totaly agree with yha OP . I haggle as much as i can and it's always a enjoyable experence. Offten the deal that end up happening are better for both people involved as well.

On a side note... it's incredibly rude to not respond to some 1 asking you a question.

Case in point...

Player 1 : WTB some decent ring you have 2 c

Player 2 : It's worth more than that no.

Player 1 : ok well what do you want for it

Player 2 : ....

Player 1 : hello are you still thare ?

This ^^^ is rude , very rude. If you don't want to sell it for a set prise You can always say something like this in about 5 secound.

Player 2 : It's worth more than no.

Player 2 : IDk i think it's worth at least 10 c and i may use it still not keen on selling it unlesss i get a very good prise for it.

Player 1: ok thx anyways it's not worth that much to me , have a good day and have fun.
Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
"
AllisonW wrote:
barter economy

How can it be a barter economy when we use currencies to conduct trades?

Do you know what "barter" means?
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Last edited by mazul on Jul 28, 2014, 3:07:42 AM
"
SirSid wrote:
Totaly agree with yha OP . I haggle as much as i can and it's always a enjoyable experence. Offten the deal that end up happening are better for both people involved as well.

^^^x10000 Totally agree

Spoiler
"
SirSid wrote:
On a side note... it's incredibly rude to not respond to some 1 asking you a question.

Case in point...

This ^^^ is rude , very rude. If you don't want to sell it for a set prise You can always say something like this in about 5 secound.

Player 2 : IDk i think it's worth at least 10 c and i may use it still not keen on selling it unlesss i get a very good prise for it.

Player 1: ok thx anyways it's not worth that much to me , have a good day and have fun.

I believe that when things like this happen, it turns players off from trading/haggling super annoying. There should be like a FLAG bad trader option or something lol. That way you can know who to avoid when trading and make the whole experience more enjoyable for everyone. (cant believe i just posted in another trade discussion thread zzzzzz)
"but i tell u its just fo' try, fo' peep n' fo' know"
"
SirSid wrote:

Spoiler

Case in point...

This is like someone who has clearly just finished pissing themselves walking into a car dealership and offering them an old shoe and their dead cat for a car. They probably wont talk to you.

People dont like having their time wasted.

On topic - Its really awesome that you haggle and barter for immersion sake, you should do what you enjoy.

But at the same time you have to realize that a lot of people take the game more seriously than that. Especially in a game that you can make real money from.

And people do haggle, but only when youre trading items worth haggling over. No one can be bothered to have a conversation with some asshole on line to save a chaos orb.

When I still played some of my trades took a week of back and forth in PMs trying to figure out a price.
"just for try, for see and for know"
My 2 cents: a couple of days ago i wanted to buy 200 jewelers for 1 exalt becouse i wanted to 6-socket my Marohi. The only guy who answered at that time told me that unfortunately he only had 190 jewelers, so i decided to drop my price and traded with him anyway.
I also got my 6 sockets in the 162. try so it was totally worth to lower my price a bit :)

In other words - pretty much depends on the person, the item and the situation imho.
problem is: items have a different value for different players. somebody who needs an item for his build idea will pay more than a flipper who wants to re-sell it or a player who just want's to try it out.

so having different price ideas for items is natural, the only thing what disturbs this understanding is the idea of flippers trying to get rich by not playing the game and just trying to rip players off.

you bid less than average for an item: definitely flipper!!111 <<kill him with fire>>

i think if ggg had restricted trading in a way that you can only buy/sell a limited amount of items per day, flipping could be put down to normal. and low bidding would be more acceptable.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Blabla typical DirkAustin stuff

There is a reason why most goods you buy in the western world have a set price (yes, that one varies, and can vary with sales. But they do that usually with several months, even years between). It's unfun and completely pointless to haggle and slows down the whole process.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info