Why do people not want to haggle?

I've done countless item for item trades.

Just because you trade for orbs does not mean it is not bartering though. Those orbs have a functional value unlike your traditional currency like paper based currency.

It has filled a vacuum where gold usually is, true. But it is still a barter system. I often provide lower prices for certain currency that I'm currently use. Like I just burned through my whole chaos and fusing stacks.
Last edited by Nubatron on Jul 29, 2014, 7:26:19 AM
"
Nubatron wrote:
I've done countless item for item trades.

Just because you trade for orbs does not mean it is not bartering though. Those orbs have a functional value unlike your traditional currency like paper based currency.

It has filled a vacuum where gold usually is, true. But it is still a barter system. I often provide lower prices for certain currency that I'm currently use. Like I just burned through my whole chaos and fusing stacks.

Traditional paper currency has functional value as well. Paper is not worthless you know. :)
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
"
mazul wrote:
Traditional paper currency has functional value as well. Paper is not worthless you know. :)

how much would you value a single piece of paper?
Time is money, and markets seek efficiency.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
I absolutely despise haggling and low-balling, is the plague of PoE's economy.

And the reason is very simple: FLIPPERS. I havent seen a single post in this thread addressing them.

We play a game where everyone wants to sell and no one wants to buy, a huge % of sales are made by flippers, at least in HC leagues, people that are only interested in accumulating wealth for no particular reason, you will see them rolling MF characters even if they are boring as fuck just to amass even more useless wealth that they will never use for anything.

If you have played this game for a while in higher maps in HC, and you have a decent selection of items to sell, then the nightmares start.... constant tells with absurd prices for insane items, you see the same players over and over trying to make shitty deals, basically just trying to rip you off, to then sell for profit.

It would be fucking nice if "haggling" was actually noble in PoE, but thats FAR from reality. And you can tell when a noob/newbie/recently started player on league wants to haggle in an honest way, because tehy dont have much wealth, that is 1% of the offers you get though, and to those players, i not only lower the price for them, but i ask them what build they are using, and i recommend them items, sometimes i even dont sell them my item and i recommend them something else, thats how this fucking game is supposed to be played.

The rest of offfers are just pathetic flippers trying to scoop a few chaos off you, and honestly they make me sick, so typically i just respond with fuck off flipper and insta ignore. Just to be an annoying fuck and get rich himself for absolutely no reason, since the wealth of the flippers always remains in their stash, or they use it to make a shitty cookie cutter aegis/ST build.

In fact they are such a huge fucking plague, that when i meet someone who wants an honest deal, i usually just lower the price a bit to reward them for their honesty, thats how fucked up HC trading is.
Lowest level Hardcore Atziri Kill ~ Level 65 ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyDB6Haa6U8
Level 100 Tempest HC with self-made and most played build of POE 2.0 ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlTUOhqEZ9s
(✿◠‿◠)
If somebody flips your item, thats on you, not them.

Get real, man. You need to know whats the lowest price you will accept for your goods, and then just dont sell lower then that. If some other guy can make more on your item then good for him.

While not being a flipper myself, Im certainly not paying more(read: Ill pay less if possible) then what I want to pay for your item. Learn to put a value on your items(That you can live with and think is right), when the item is out of your hands its not your fucking business what the buyer does with it.

I will repeat: Its on you!

(Not saying its the noble thing to do, but it sure as hell isnt what you are making it out to be either)

Also haggle =//= flipping.

Whats being refered to here is agreeing on a price everybody is satisfied/can live with.
Last edited by kussekurt on Jul 29, 2014, 10:25:55 AM
Agree, flippers are not a problem -- per se. Taking advantage of new people is a problem in my eyes but I understand the dog eat dog mentality. When someone gets a good deal on something and eventually trades it later for more after being done with it....are they a flipper?

Either way, the person who was low balled agreed to the deal. What happens after the deal is none of their concern.

(My only exception is new people, but people pose as ''new" to get deals so....Survival of the fittest for the noobs is only outcome if you don't want to be 'taken' by a flipper)
What i'm taking about is intention. There is a fine line between what you call "haggling" and "flipping", and theres straight up lowballing, everything is mixed and is very hard to recognize who is trying to make fair deals or who is an absolute scumbag, thats why i just stop any attempt of haggling if i see its going this way. I dont see how you can deny that flippers are the root of the problem, they are the ones making real hagglers look like scumbags, just saying.
Lowest level Hardcore Atziri Kill ~ Level 65 ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyDB6Haa6U8
Level 100 Tempest HC with self-made and most played build of POE 2.0 ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlTUOhqEZ9s
(✿◠‿◠)
Haggling is for merchants, traders. The thing is, many people don't play PoE to be a merchant, trader, they play for the Action RPG.

Most people are used to fixed prices when they go shopping. That's how they approach PoE's "economy" - they're a consumer. Look at the MTX store - can you haggle the price of PoE bux? Can you haggle the MTX armor sets?

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give moar Power Creep Pls

"
mazul wrote:
"
AllisonW wrote:
barter economy

How can it be a barter economy when we use currencies to conduct trades?

Do you know what "barter" means?

You can always barter with me in the truest sense of the word.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/901293
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info