"
Antnee wrote:
"
AllisonW wrote:

Oh, and...
"
Antnee wrote:
Because this is 2014.

Guess what? We still haggle in the real world in 2014. We don't do it at the grocery store, but we sure as hell do it when we're buying a car or a house...

Yep. Got me there. If you're one of those few folks who do most of their trading for items worth the POE equivalent of a car/house, then by all means you should be haggling.

Meanwhile, in The-Rest-Of-Us land, you can fuck right off if you wanna argue with me over a couple chaos orbs. So yeah, this is 2014, and I'm not haggling with people for my groceries like some snaggle-toothed merchant caricature.

Why do you compare real world transactions with ingame transactions? Its a game after all and there are different rules that do not apply to the real world. For example, do you find money when you smash a vase or barrel in real life? Or do you have to work for it?

The bad orb drops is what makes some ingame "poor" as it makes others who trade all day "rich".
"
Antnee wrote:
"
AllisonW wrote:

Oh, and...
"
Antnee wrote:
Because this is 2014.

Guess what? We still haggle in the real world in 2014. We don't do it at the grocery store, but we sure as hell do it when we're buying a car or a house...

Yep. Got me there. If you're one of those few folks who do most of their trading for items worth the POE equivalent of a car/house, then by all means you should be haggling.

Meanwhile, in The-Rest-Of-Us land, you can fuck right off if you wanna argue with me over a couple chaos orbs. So yeah, this is 2014, and I'm not haggling with people for my groceries like some snaggle-toothed merchant caricature.

Of course, we might disagree on what qualifies as a major purchase as opposed to groceries. I'm not actually talking about Shav's or Soul Taker or Crown of Eyes or similar insanely rare and expensive items; those I would place not in haggle-worthy territory but auction-worthy territory, for those willing to go to the trouble and take the time to auction them off. When making the comparison, I was imagining items commonly valued in the low exalted orb range as a guideline. A lot of people find drops with a value in the low exalted orb range at some point, and for players that aren't particularly wealthy, such purchases and sales can constitute a meaningful share of their wealth. I'd consider haggling over an item like, say, an Alpha's Howl or a Thief's Torment or an Andvarius or yada yada to be reasonable (assuming it's not very much seller's market for the item at the time), especially if it's an item with weak affix rolls that is begging to have a divine orb thrown at it.

Personally, however, I may actually put up with haggling over chaos. As an example, if I've got, say, an 18% quality gem that isn't one of the more popular ones up for a buyout of 10c, and it's been sitting in my stash for longer than I really care to have it sitting there unsold, and someone comes along and offers 8c for it, I would probably take them up on it--8c does me more good than 0c.

Of course, that's why "fixed price" versus "buyout" exists: so you can decide for yourself at what range you're not interested in putting up with haggling. But I do like to actually get things I don't plan on using out of my stash, so buyout it is.
Last edited by AllisonW on Jul 27, 2014, 5:25:11 PM
I set prices on almost everything as it seems to encourage a lot more interest, especially on lower end items that are below ~20c. I am willing to haggle some depending on the item and if i have an immediate need for currency. I personally don't like accepting other items that I'll just have to resell though, I get plenty of those kind of offers. I tell them if "it's worth 2ex easy" then it should be easy enough for them to sell before they buy what they want from me :)

I personally enjoy trading, but I'm definitely not hanging out in a1n; I got maps to run!
Last edited by Millacus on Jul 27, 2014, 5:24:43 PM
Another comparison: haggling over a few chaos annoys me a helluva lot less than getting paged for a 1alch gem sale in the middle of a map, and yet I put up with the latter.
"
Antnee wrote:
Because haggling is an asinine waste of my time. Because human interaction with strangers on the internet is not even close to what I consider to be enjoyable-- Because said strangers watched an episode of Pawn Stars and now think they are the shining paragon of capitalism. Because I'd rather spend that time playing the game. Because haggling adds nothing but frustration to my gaming experience. Because this is 2014. Because, because, because, because because.... because of the wonderful wiz he was.

What he says.

Works 2 way,
i just pay the b/o, 10 sec trade.
Others pay my buyout. 10 sec trade

No bullshitting, simple as that
Vorici can shove his fuse up his [removed]
"
AllisonW wrote:
Another comparison: haggling over a few chaos annoys me a helluva lot less than getting paged for a 1alch gem sale in the middle of a map, and yet I put up with the latter.

This is exactly why I stopped selling anything for less than 2c, and I seem to be slowly phasing that out and moving up to 5c. I would have to say players have become smarter in their purchases and/or there is a lot more sellers now, as my 2c stuff actually sells less often than my 5c+ stuff; this definitely was not the case during anarchy/nemesis.
"
Millacus wrote:
"
AllisonW wrote:

This is exactly why I stopped selling anything for less than 2c, and I seem to be slowly phasing that out and moving up to 5c. I would have to say players have become smarter in their purchases and/or there is a lot more sellers now, as my 2c stuff actually sells less often than my 5c+ stuff; this definitely was not the case during anarchy/nemesis.

Sometimes I'm tempted to do this, but my shop would be pretty empty. It seems like things worth several chaos are not especially common; most of my sales are gems.
[Removed by Support] feel threatened around other people (this includes you in game since that is their social time) and when you approach one and say "hello, how are you today? I'd like to buy an item that you listed but there wasn't a price, what would you like for it?"

This is where the [Removed by Support] gets annoyed and verbally shrugs "uhhhhhh, offer"

They lack the social skills to realize that this person is trying to get a negotiation going and giving the seller the advantage of letting him start with a price, which would expect to be high.

So now the ball is in the buyers court, the neckbeard unknowingly passed the advantage onto the buyer, so the buyer will naturally start low.

This is where the [Removed by Support] feels offended. He then becomes angry at a lower offer than he expected so instead of countering high to get a deal made somewhere in the middle like a normal person would, he types "FUCK OFF NOOB" to the buyer and puts him on his ignore list.

The more and more this happens, the more and more enraged the [Removed by Support] gets. He will be even more rude and stupid to the next potential buyer who contacts him. It's a vicious cycle.

Rampage IGN: RIP_Stannis_Baratheon
Last edited by Kieren_GGG on Jul 28, 2014, 6:07:03 AM
People probably don't want to haggle for the same reasons you don't want to haggle.
Okay let's be real here.

How much haggling do most of you do in real life?

Almost none at all, you go to a store/person/company/whatever and you get x product/service for x amount of money with certain sales/discount sometimes or higher because of fads or lower stock.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info