poll: the "like to trade" vs the "forced to trade"

regarding the poll referenced on page 1,

I gleefully read this thread late (right now) and
caught the results of the poll immediately upon
reading parts of the first page.

I adore that the community chose the troll answer,
couched in less than neutral language overwhelmingly.

ahhhh. irony :D

the entire poll was a troll poll and we trolled the poll
grinning as we did so...

I did not bother checking this thread because of the
language of the title, basically clickbait psychology
kneejerk shit. glad I checked anyway.

lol @ community.
poll isn't a troll.
poll is to make a point.
and the point of the poll is.
trade can be good, as long as people aren't being dragged kicking and screaming into the marketplace.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
When i was playing,i certainly was forced to trade.I absolutely hated trading,but i wanted powerful items.However,since i wwas playing A L O T,and was reasonably lucky,i was lucky enough to find almost every top unique there is in the game,so i limited my trading to very short periods,when i had something i knew that would sell,and was always putting my b/i price lower than the lowest similar item on XyZ.I never ever flipped
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
"
johnKeys wrote:
poll isn't a troll.
poll is to make a point.
trade can be good, as long as people aren't being dragged kicking and screaming into the marketplace.

How original. And I though you were serious for a moment.

I guess the third post is spot on after all. Next time you make me waste my time post something sensible in your thread you better be upfront with just spilling your same rotten beans around.
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Jul 26, 2014, 8:43:23 AM
"
johnKeys wrote:
poll isn't a troll.
poll is to make a point.

yep, we all saw this coming

Personally, I love trading, to the economy is good for me.
"
Antnee wrote:

*slow clap* Bravo.

As for the OP, I do not give a shit about trading. I've managed to make plenty of characters who never needed to trade because I'd either gotten everything as drops, bought the gear for a different build prior, or had had the required item for so long that its origin was a mystery.

And on the other hand, I've managed to make a few characters who were entirely reliant on trading, and as such I can say that while I don't enjoy some of the features of the current trading system, it is not trading as a whole with which I am upset. What bugs me are the smaller parts of trading - having to jump instances to act 1 normal and how annoying it can be to haggle over the forums are two particular niggles of mine; the act 1 normal thing because it completely shits on my map pacing and the game's pacing as a whole, and the forum thing because I'm really bad at keeping track of that sort of shit.

I guess the point of this post is to say that A, your phrasing could use a little work if you want more accurate results - a lot of people who feel moderate about trading would probably just pass over the thread because the phrasing makes it look really trolly - and B, there isn't just a spectrum of opinions about trading, there's a whole set of infinite axes for this shit. If you want actual results, then you've gotta pick two of these axes and go from there. See if there's a correlation between how much people trade and how much they enjoy it, or if there's a correlation between the price of things they trade for and how much they enjoy trading, or something else entirely. But don't do a binary "like/dislike" vote, because that information is of little value to anyone.
"
Nightmare90 wrote:
"
johnKeys wrote:
poll isn't a troll.
poll is to make a point.

How original. And I though you were serious for a moment.

I guess the third post is spot on after all. Next time you make me waste my time post something sensible in your thread you better be upfront with just spilling your same rotten beans around.

I believe I made my intentions quite clear in this thread. several times.
you only need to read the first two pages really.
had no intention to hide anything, or fool anyone.

posting a sensible response isn't a waste of time, and if you truly think you wasted time by doing that - well then you are more than welcome to get the fuck out of this thread, because you just made me mad, and insulted my effort in making it, reading, responding and keeping track of the responses.

speaking of which, it's easy to notice a majority of the responses are indeed "forced to trade", and even some of the people who commented saying they are either in between the two definitions, or are a "like to trade" - ended up using "forced to trade" arguments more times than they'd be comfortable to admit.

so here's the thing:
trade should never, ever, fucking ever be mandatory in an ARPG.
but I didn't say it shouldn't exist.
it definitely should, as a feature. features are good. the more - the better.
and if PoE did just that, well there won't be a "forced to trade" now would there?
heck, even I could have ended up in the "like to trade" camp, had this game been designed in a normal, sensible way.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Jul 26, 2014, 9:40:12 AM
I don't think forced to trade is 100% correct for me.

I personally think the economy and trade should have a MUCH SMALLER focus from the devs. I think drops should be primarily balanced around playing the game and slaying monsters.

I think having a few high ticket items like Kaom's is fine, but like every good unique is in this group. Map-gated uniques make it even worse, it should be entirely based on the ilvl of the base.

Also, the drops while playing are horrendous. It should be much easier to simply find usable gear while playing, especially mid-late Cruel to prepare for Merciless.

So, I'm "forced to trade" but I don't want a game where trade doesn't exist, I just think trade should be focused around gg rares, a handful of gg uniques, skill gems and currency exchanges.
Team Won
Last edited by ggnorekthx on Jul 26, 2014, 9:47:45 AM
Not sure what you guys were expecting from a guy who has "fuck the economy" in his signature... balanced debate? Non-biased?

No. In any case, I'm getting bored of seeing trade QQs on the forums. One thread was enough. Ten is taking the piss.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
Definitely forced to trade. The goals i set to myself can hardly be achieved without trading.

Although, call me crazy but i like the old - style trading method. It is very reminiscent of d2 and other similar games i have played over the years.
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Last edited by Pyrokar on Jul 26, 2014, 10:03:13 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info