poll: the "like to trade" vs the "forced to trade"

"
johnKeys wrote:
so here's the thing:
trade should never, ever, fucking ever be mandatory in an ARPG.

It isn't. It certainly makes the game easier, but there are plenty of solo people out there who have finished merc without much trouble. Hell, there was even that guy who did it with all magic gear in HC.

Grouping makes the game easier too, that doesn't make grouping mandatory. I don't like to group so I don't, but I also don't throw a fit on the forums every three days because groups have an easier time than I do. I play the way I want to play and accept the consequences of that decision. Maybe you don't mind grouping, or you think it's an acceptable way to circumvent difficulty as opposed to trading so you decide not to throw fits about it. That doesn't make you right.

What you want is an easier game where you can have all the shiny things you see other people having. The economy just happens to be your scapegoat.

Anyway this thread sucks, even by JohnKeys thread standards.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh
"
Alea wrote:
im forced to flip items, not my fault

Are you really though?

I'd say no-one is forced to do something as contrived as flip items.

Trading is quite core. Flipping items? Not really. You can easily buy and sell/acquire gear, engaging in the trade system without merching.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
I'm forced to trade but I want to trade. Just not in a chatroom with spam and unable to trade whilst in game.

Of course if I get an item like Cloak of Defiance... i suddenly love to trade. Go figure.
"
JahIthBer89 wrote:
"
johnKeys wrote:
so here's the thing:
trade should never, ever, fucking ever be mandatory in an ARPG.

It isn't. It certainly makes the game easier, but there are plenty of solo people out there who have finished merc without much trouble. Hell, there was even that guy who did it with all magic gear in HC.

you are wrong, and for once I have a thread-full of people's honest personal experiences with the game, to say you are wrong.
but I figure it won't stop the likes of you from repeating the "trading isn't mandatory in PoE" mantra, just like hundreds of feedback threads from all sorts of people, didn't.
trading in PoE, sure as hell is mandatory, and that is a fact.

"

I play the way I want to play and accept the consequences of that decision.

are you truly so blind, as to miss the irony in your own words?
fact of the matter is, had trade not been mandatory - there won't really be any "consequences" in not trading. only advantage in trading.
read this again, as many times as it will take you to notice, the not-too-subtle difference.

and grouping is indeed a choice that offers an advantage. one that can slowly become required as well, towards the higher-end maps - but that's for another discussion and off-topic here.

trade, isn't really "a choice" right now.
"trade, or get rekt" - to put it bluntly - is not how you define "choice".
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Jul 26, 2014, 10:22:11 AM
i am forced to trade. I HATE IT !
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646
Trading is mandatory only for certain aspects of play - you really need to distinguish.

Having the beautiful number 8 to the left of my name? Trading.
Acquiring full set of low-life gear? Trading.
Crafting GG gear? Trading.

Finishing the game? No trading.
Clearing 78 maps? No trading.
Farming Dominus/Piety for rares/uniques? No trading.

Anyone who needs to trade to cap res has clearly not heard of alterations on a ring from the vendor, try it out :)
"
Chundadragon wrote:

Anyone who needs to trade to cap res has clearly not heard of alterations on a ring from the vendor, try it out :)

I was hoping someone would mention the vendor recipes.
tell me, how many of those have no RNG involved in any step of them?
honest answer.

you can even go to the wiki page and count them.

and whenever you have dice/coins/slots calling the shots -> you have a chance of not getting what you need. no matter what you do.
unless you trade.

RNG, is here for a reason.
in the ARPG I know and love, RNG is there to provide diversity and replayability.
in Path Of Exile, RNG is there to frustrate the fuck out of you, and make sure you don't get away from the marketplace.
pure and simple.

I have absolutely no hope for PoE to become "the ARPG I know and love", at this point.
it didn't in literally years, and it wouldn't now.
but dear god I hope GGG learned something, and POE2 will.
Last edited by johnKeys on Jul 26, 2014, 10:37:01 AM
So how would you solve this? Hand out res gear for free? I somehow think this idea would be a little more laughable than trading.

Your gambling alterations here. They are worth literally zero, compared to the people up there gambling eternals (worth thousands more than alts) it's fairly nice.
Last edited by Chundadragon on Jul 26, 2014, 10:37:33 AM
I don't mind trading for gear, maps or gems. I actually enjoy that. The problem for me is the maps. I absolutely hate it that rolling maps is so expensive. Almost all of my currency goes into maps. This makes me "forced to trade" and usually leaves me with very little room left to buy any upgrades.
"
Chundadragon wrote:
So how would you solve this? Hand out res gear for free? I somehow think this idea would be a little more laughable than trading.

this kind of answer infuriates the fuck out of me.
why? because I fucking explode when someone acts like PoE is his first-ever ARPG played, when it sure as fuck isn't.

how do other games do actual crafting? how do they do actual risk/reward and player-skill-based progress? how do they make one feel his/her effort is worth something, while still making them pay for mistakes and bad decisions?
how do some other games, have trade as an option without forcing anyone to take part in it?

PoE doesn't exist in the fucking vaccum of space, Jesus fucking Christ.
GGG are more than welcome to take ideas from other games, instead of acting like they know better, in their first fucking game ever made...

this game isn't shit. far from it. I wouldn't be here all this time, if it was.
it just truly pains me to see such absolutely awesome, fucking epic potential for a fucking epic game, get almost entirely wasted - because the devs are making so many bad decisions so consistently, it just can no longer be explained with inexperience or even stupidity, only malice.
Last edited by johnKeys on Jul 26, 2014, 10:57:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info