poll: the "like to trade" vs the "forced to trade"

Posting in a trade-hate thread. Keep it coming
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
Alot of them want an Item as upgrade that is in all mods better than the previous one.
There is no thinking about re-distribution of stats
like "hey I found this item that is better than my previous one, but has cold resist and not the fire resist my item has. So I will use this and use the other better item I found for a different item slot that has fire resist instead of cold resist."
Go to poe.xyz.is, click "Import Item Data," then play with the tool there. I'd say over half of them truly aren't thinking about re-distribution of stats, because they aren't really thinking about anything.

Funny how much influence that site has over how the game is played, isn't it?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 25, 2014, 8:11:05 AM
"
Morgoth2356 wrote:
Your poll is way too binary. I would consider that I like to trade, however I'm surely not here for trade more than anything else (I just quote your definition). And I don't feel forced to trade at all. So I can't answer your poll.

I often see that binary mindset about trading on these forums : if you're not using your own loots only, then you play path of economics/ trading simulator/ lioneye's watch sitting 24/7. Yeah sure.

This. The OP ignores (through unawareness or choice, I can't say) the fact that there exists a spectrum from the SFL players to the Trade Tycoon players. Most people are not either of these, but simply somewhere in between.
I guess I'm in the forced to trade camp but only because I don't like the current mechanism of trading. I'd much prefer an asynchronous auction house approach like Diablo but with support for offers in multi-currency.

However, I've traded only 2 or 3 times in the years I've been playing PoE. I'd rather go without an upgrade or even retire a character than spend time chasing upgrades via trade chat/PM/whatever.

What about crafting? Using all the currency I've found in the last 12 months to craft one piece of high-spec gear would be the most depressing thing I could ever do. I did something similar at the end of Closed Beta when it didn't matter due to the wipe. Never again. So I'd rather trade than craft if I *did* want godly gear.

There has to be a low point where some people stop complaining because it's just not worth it, and I have yet to see it. - Squeakypaw, 2013
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
Alot of them want an Item as upgrade that is in all mods better than the previous one.
There is no thinking about re-distribution of stats
like "hey I found this item that is better than my previous one, but has cold resist and not the fire resist my item has. So I will use this and use the other better item I found for a different item slot that has fire resist instead of cold resist."
Go to poe.xyz.is, click "Import Item Data," then play with the tool there. I'd say over half of them truly aren't thinking about re-distribution of stats, because they aren't really thinking about anything.

Funny how much influence that site has over how the game is played, isn't it?

In my opinion, this game may as well have an auction house since that's essentially what that site is. It completely undermines the "barter" system, and doubly so since most of the people I've dealt with via that site won't negotiate:

It's not an asking price.
It's not a "best offer."
It's simply a price.

You pay it or you don't get the item. It's that simple.

EDIT:

Most people I try to "barter" with in-game are the same way. They look up how much an item is "worth" on poe.xyz, and they demand that for their price. Barter doesn't work, and it's a primitive system to begin with.
Last edited by AlbinosaurusRex on Jul 25, 2014, 8:44:47 AM
Forced to gamble
IGN:
Once we get a nice trading system in place it'll all be good.

And people will still whine all day.
anything is everything
Last edited by Manocean on Jul 25, 2014, 9:00:36 AM
"
IamtheAxeMan wrote:
Well I just started the one month league a couple of days ago, I am level 62 now and in Mecr A2.

"
IamtheAxeMan wrote:
Today at level 61, I was forced to trade to progress and further into A2 because my fire and cold my resists were below 30%.

Do you not see what is wrong with your statement?

Started "a couple of days ago" and now "forced" into trading.
Its an ARPG.... farm for your gear. Some players are always in such a rush, which is strange seeing as you started late into the league :=/

Not a personal attack, just pointing out how silly you post was.
Just for try for see and for know.

She corpse exploded the corpse of the boss...
"
Molochmane wrote:
To be honest, without trading, I would have 0% interest in the game. Getting good gear is horrible as it is at higher levels. But, getting an upgrade is always an option by buying from another player kept me going.

Do you realize that you are voicing the exact same problem as the people that dislike trade?

You merely find trade as an acceptable solution where many would prefer an alternate solution, that's what this thread is about.

I think most will agree that it's hard to gear at higher levels currently, the debate is over whether we should have to trade (IE forced) as our only solution to that problem.
"
IamtheAxeMan wrote:
Well I just started the one month league a couple of days ago, I am level 62 now and in Mecr A2. The last upgrade I found was when I was level 48 in cruel docks.

Today at level 61, I was forced to trade to progress and further into A2 because my fire and cold my resists were below 30%. I have to trade all my chaos for boots and a chest just to bring my resist closer to cap.

14 levels with nothing useable for my Arc lighting build.

When you get to higher levels less rares drop (even with the rare iir stat) and you have a higher pool of items and stats that can roll. Big brick wall. I hate trading. When I get into mapping I spend more time trying to trade shit then I do killing shit.

You are same as millions who tried PoE and quit and many still riding the PoE merry-go-round (still playing) have always complained about, that item progression fails past level 50. GGG has heard many posts on this but to date still seams to turn a blind eye on this and nothing changes. It's no wonder once avid PoE players have quit or are now jaded and think GGG is losing it's touch and PoE is in a state of decline. Each and every patch increases bling which is nice but none of the real core problems (such as item progression) has ever been fixed. Original D3 failed for the same reason (plus bots) so why GGG thinks that we like tons and tons (and tons more) of trash loot when we get to the higher levels is really bizarre. If this is how GGG wants to get us to trade more than they have failed completely.

It is also very strange that GGG emphasizes trading as an important feature in PoE and then fails to deliver on the public stash in-game and in-browser trading function. We all know (and GGG does too) that trade chat is horrible and major pain. But where is the official GGG trading system? Not even a hint from GGG when it will be a reality or if GGG can't add any more code on their misfiring engine for fear of a complete breakdown.

So you suffer same problem as everyone else. Playing at high levels "sucks donkey" at getting better gear drops and PoE degrades into a grind forever for currency to eventually have enough to trade for a better piece of gear. GGG suffers under the delusion that this will make us want to engage in trading more but all it does is make most quit in disgust.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info